Veteran 10k Posts RIP
Feb 28, 2003
Qantas Club Lounge
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Washington Generals
majsampower_wideweb__470x310,0.jpg

Ben Davies (left) and Sam Power are determined to make their mark with the Kangaroos.
Photo: Andrew de la Rue

New Roos vow to be a force
Emma Quayle | October 14, 2007

SAM Power did not have much time to contemplate his new colours when he was traded from the Western Bulldogs to the Kangaroos on Friday. One of the first visitors to his home in Balwyn was Paul Turk, his new club's fitness coach, who had just whipped up his off-season program. Turk also had Power's new teammate Ben Davies in tow.

"It's exciting," said Power, traded for a fourth-round selection at next month's national draft. "There's not much time to wonder what just happened or why you're doing it.

"I'm just looking forward to getting down there now, and making a good impression on everyone. I definitely feel like my best football's ahead of me."

Power started to sense in the last few weeks that his career at the Bulldogs might not stretch into a seventh year. In his post-season meetings, he learnt that while the club would keep him, he would not be first in line for senior selection.

He was disappointed to hear that, and sad to leave, but certain he did all he could to make things work at the club that drafted him in 2001, and more sure that the Kangaroos — one of three clubs he spoke to — would be the best fit for him.

"I could have stayed at the Bulldogs, but I didn't feel like I was being seen as a regular player, and I feel like I am, or should be, a regular senior player. That's what got me thinking that the chance to do that might be elsewhere," Power said.

"The Bulldogs have to do what they have to do, and play who (they) think is best, but I thought I could still have been a valuable contributor there, and North was the club that convinced me they saw me that way.

"They knew a bit of what I'd done at the Bulldogs and seemed to have done their research on what I was able to do and where I could play. I'm still only 24, and I worked as hard as I could at the Bulldogs. Hopefully, I'm able to get more out of myself at the Kangaroos."

Davies, who moved from Collingwood, won Williamstown's best-and-fairest award this season. But the 21-year-old onballer knew that with no new contract to keep him a Magpie, he may be in for uncertain times. Having imagined being delisted, and training on his own until the draft in the hope a club would pick him, Davies was happy for Turk to tell him what to do until he meets his new teammates next month.

Davies will meet them feeling like a much better player than he was this time last year, despite playing in fewer senior games.

"Opportunities were hard to come by this year, but that wasn't personal," he said.

"This year's been a really good year, I've definitely developed, and playing VFL you get a good chance to work on your weaknesses because you can try a few little different (things). I know a lot more tricks, how to get the ball and use it better, and hopefully that will put me in good stead next year.

"To get traded is a good feeling actually because you know the club has done their research and that they want you there. You feel a part of it from the start so hopefully I'll be able to get in there and make a good start."

our man Paul Turk will whip these boys into shape..great to see they are not bitter about being traded..i hope they give there all and contribute to keeping the Roos a top 4 side..:thumbsu:

No doubting PT. Already has a fitness regime for these two blokes the day they were recruited to the club.

Nice av, pharro.

Homer hits the bench for a much needed rest. Poor guy. He hasn't exactly got the biggest of tanks, and you've been working him pretty hard.

Saying that, he did have a gun.

Nevertheless, good coaching. :thumbsu:

Great piece. Sam Power must live close to me.

Having not seen him play in our colours I'm going all-in in the dark here and asking to be the President of the Sam Power club :);)

Also what is PT's background?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great piece. Sam Power must live close to me.

Having not seen him play in our colours I'm going all-in in the dark here and asking to be the President of the Sam Power club :);)

We might be neighbours Harro?

I see Sam quite a bit running and cycling around the place.

Olympic athlete, not sure what sport. He has a personal training business I believe, with incredibly detailed knowledge of physical education theory. He was the assistant to our fitness and conditioning chief through to 2006 - the guy who was blamed and sacked for the poor fitness levels of players last year. So PT was promoted and last summer was his first pre-season in charge. He is largely credited with providing the base upon which Dean was able to create the 2007 game plan. He is very ably supported by another bloke down there, I think his name is Greg???

Late correction: PT is not an Olympian. I'm told the tattoo on his ankle is not legit.

this davies bloke remember played against us in 05 when the pies were struck by injury and we rolled em with thomo kicking the goal on the siren...i rate davies actually, just couldnt get a game at collingwood..with a few players similar to him...could go alright

Olympic athlete, not sure what sport. He has a personal training business I believe, with incredibly detailed knowledge of physical education theory. He was the assistant to our fitness and conditioning chief through to 2006 - the guy who was blamed and sacked for the poor fitness levels of players last year. So PT was promoted and last summer was his first pre-season in charge. He is largely credited with providing the base upon which Dean was able to create the 2007 game plan. He is very ably supported by another bloke down there, I think his name is Greg???

Late correction: PT is not an Olympian. I'm told the tattoo on his ankle is not legit.

If that was his first ever afl pre season in charge, i cant wait to see how well we will be going if he stays for years to come, with more and more knowledge of pre seasons under his belt we will be absolute fitness freaks that could run out a game with out any interchanges

If that was his first ever afl pre season in charge, i cant wait to see how well we will be going if he stays for years to come, with more and more knowledge of pre seasons under his belt we will be absolute fitness freaks that could run out a game with out any interchanges

I like your mindset.:thumbsu:

I'm a lover of weightlifting and lift quite a bit, and the shape that Turk bloke is in is unbelievable. Very glad he's running the fitness show down there. Brian Taylor was hanging it on him on Triple M when we played the Dogs in the last round because he wears his tanktop on the ground when he runs out with the boys. It was kinda funny actually.

I'm a lover of weightlifting and lift quite a bit, and the shape that Turk bloke is in is unbelievable. Very glad he's running the fitness show down there. Brian Taylor was hanging it on him on Triple M when we played the Dogs in the last round because he wears his tanktop on the ground when he runs out with the boys. It was kinda funny actually.

It wasn't only on MMM. They bagged him on SEN too. I think BT was jealous. He's a fat blob on a kitchen plate(pun intended)

Remove this Banner Ad

New Roos vow to be a force

Remove this Banner Ad

Back