NFL New to NFL - Looking for a Team to Follow

Remove this Banner Ad

Redskins, Dolphins, 49ers, Steelers are all favourites of mine, Panthers is who I'd probably choose atm

I'm surprised the Steelers & 49ers are amongst your second their favs.. perhaps best to know NOTHING about their 'OTT' proud fan base who are abit too much with such overwhelming expectation that they're destined to be there already :rolleyes: come Super Sunday.. plenty Steeler fans love to live in the past.. which gets annoying.

I'm surprised the Steelers & 49ers are amongst your second their favs.. perhaps best to know NOTHING about their 'OTT' proud fan base who are abit too much with such overwhelming expectation that they're destined to be there already :rolleyes: come Super Sunday.. plenty Steeler fans love to live in the past.. which gets annoying.
Look, I don't really let the fans effect my decisions, that's not to say I don't like you, I just like them for other reasons...

Look, I don't really let the fans effect my decisions, that's not to say I don't like you, I just like them for other reasons...

Fair enough.. but it tends to happen more often than not that irrational fans who have that 'w***er element' can really make you discriminate against them..
Puts the Steelers SB XLV loss in perspective if that means anything.. only very few Steeler fans could see the benefits in taking a 'SB loss' (to spite the bandwagon becoming a shameless charade). The Niners SB loss was also a blessing.. make no mistake.

Fair enough.. but it tends to happen more often than not that irrational fans who have that '****** element' can really make you discriminate against them..
Puts the Steelers SB XLV loss in perspective if that means anything.. only very few Steeler fans could see the benefits in taking a 'SB loss' (to spite the bandwagon becoming a shameless charade). The Niners SB loss was also a blessing.. make no mistake.
I can understand, I get it for Richmond, just there isn't many NFL fans that I interact with I suppose

Fair enough.. but it tends to happen more often than not that irrational fans who have that '****** element' can really make you discriminate against them..
Ahhhh, the reason I hate Hawthorn in the AFL.

Ahhhh, the reason I hate Hawthorn in the AFL.

I recall the early 90's.. just after their '91 flag.. they were rabid (sooks) after losing.. biggest flogs you'll ever come across … that's how I remember many of them.. glad North owned them for a good part of the 90's.. :thumbsu:

Tempted to go for the Miami Dolphins. The only NFL game I'll be seeing while in the states will be a Miami Dolphins v San Diego Chargers game in Miami. Makes sense, huh. Someone give me a quick run down on the Dolphins.

Tempted to go for the Miami Dolphins. The only NFL game I'll be seeing while in the states will be a Miami Dolphins v San Diego Chargers game in Miami. Makes sense, huh. Someone give me a quick run down on the Dolphins.

Pretty quickly became a powerhouse in the early 1970s and 1980s, under the helm of one of the greatest coaches of all time in Don Shula. Won 2 super bowls and have lost 3. First and only team in the super bowl era to go undefeated thru the regular and post season. And the greatest QB that ever played, Dan Marino, is their most iconic player. In the last 20 odd years tho they've been shit. About 4 or so years ago they finished 1-15 i think, and then had one of the biggest turnarounds in NFL history going 11-5 i think the following season, but got bounced out of the playoffs. Since then they went back down. Had a Bullygate scandal last season. Most of the mess got cleaned up. They've got a very talented defense, and some exciting pieces on offense. They also recently redesigned their uniforms, and have one of the best uniforms in the NFL at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About 4 or so years ago they finished 1-15 i think, and then had one of the biggest turnarounds in NFL history going 11-5 i think the following season,.
Wasn't that much of a turnaround.
That 1-15 team set a record for most 3 point (or less) margins in a season.
6 3 point losses.
Wasn't that bad of a team.
Heck, they pushed Pittsburgh to the limit in a very tight contest.
One of my favourite matches ever.

Pretty quickly became a powerhouse in the early 1970s and 1980s, under the helm of one of the greatest coaches of all time in Don Shula. Won 2 super bowls and have lost 3. First and only team in the super bowl era to go undefeated thru the regular and post season. And the greatest QB that ever played, Dan Marino, is their most iconic player. In the last 20 odd years tho they've been shit. About 4 or so years ago they finished 1-15 i think, and then had one of the biggest turnarounds in NFL history going 11-5 i think the following season, but got bounced out of the playoffs. Since then they went back down. Had a Bullygate scandal last season. Most of the mess got cleaned up. They've got a very talented defense, and some exciting pieces on offense. They also recently redesigned their uniforms, and have one of the best uniforms in the NFL at the moment.

o_O only I'm not buying it. Rest of that detail was spot on..

Wasn't that much of a turnaround.
That 1-15 team set a record for most 3 point (or less) margins in a season.
6 3 point losses.
Wasn't that bad of a team.
Heck, they pushed Pittsburgh to the limit in a very tight contest.
One of my favourite matches ever.

In the slosh.. I remember that.. Welker in his last season as a Snapperhead.. but it was the memorable highlight of Lawrence Timmons high stepping antics by leaving a profound size 18 footprint on at least 70% of the thoracic vertebrae = 'squashed fish' that really made us all appreciate waterlogged football at it's finest.

Check out the landing here..

The 'Fins upset road 23-21 win in 2005 @ SD was the game that opened the gate for the Steelers to leapfrog ahead of the Chargers for sixth seed.. the rest is history..
tt02.gif

But in saying that.. the bloody 'Fins come into a snowy 'Burgh in December and made enough BIG PLAYS to squeak out a 34-28 win that was a lot closer that the scoreboard indicates.. it technically was a win by a mere centimetre as Antonio Brown #84 was ruled out of bounds on a last ditch multi-lateral play..

thtissue1.gif

Those blardy pesky Fins!

I remember watching this game live when i was 16yo and i was shattered when this happened!

( **** that makes me feel old! )

What has made you whittle it down to those three? What exactly about those three you like?
jerseys, logos, obvious branding.
playing a little madden.
i haven't seen much of it so i don't know which teams have potential to do well, or who i should stay away from because they're the equivalent of collingwood.

jerseys, logos, obvious branding.
playing a little madden.
i haven't seen much of it so i don't know which teams have potential to do well, or who i should stay away from because they're the equivalent of collingwood.
The common message in this thread is.....don't decide on a team, just watch games and get to know the teams, their histories, and a team will pick you eventually. And eventually even a few years later it may change. So, like, just watch games of those three teams, at first, and maybe one stands out for you. And as you're watching those three teams, you'll also get to see other teams playing against them. Maybe one of them ends up taking your fancy instead.

Right now for you, it's all about absorbing as much information about those three teams, their histories, and maybe even going on dedicated team forums of those teams hosted in America and getting a feel for the fans, maybe you fit in better with a particular team's fanbase.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL New to NFL - Looking for a Team to Follow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back