NFL New to NFL - Looking for a Team to Follow

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont mind nfl, watched a few games and enjoyed it. Just wondering what the live gane experience is like

First advice is assuming that you will get the train out to Metlife from Manhattan - the stadium is actually in New Jersey though it ain't far in distance. If you do this, give yourself plenty of time at Penn Station as it is likely going to be incredibly busy game day. You might find it hard to work out where you are going as the tix are issued from machines that aren't the most clear, but you are looking for Meadowlands. Bear in mind you have to get 2 trains, but easy to follow the crowd.
When you get to the stadium, give yourself time to get through security. They will frisk you, and make you open bags, empty pockets etc.
If you plan on having a beer at the game, BRING your passport. I've been to Metlife two occasions in the last 2 years - first time I was fine without ID, the next they were strict including the little stalls. I'm 35 and was consistently asked for ID - and an Aussie licence was not acceptable. If you want a beer, don't risk not having your passport.
Once you are in though, you are set. You can walk around, check out the shops, at Metlife they have a stage with bands playing. When you get to your seats, they'll make a huge production of the pre-game with fireworks as the players run out, the national anthem. The crowd and the atmosphere are great - Jets fans god love em, there team is crap but you'll get no end of joy listening to them bitch about Geno Smith!
The game will actually fly by really quickly, at the breaks you'll get the cheerleaders, and the t-shirt cannons etc. Hopefully you have good seats lined up.
Leaving can be a bit of a hassle as the crowd is basically shoe horned back to the train ... though for a Jets/Jags game, if you stay to the end you might find the train empty!
Have fun, it's a hell of an experience

First advice is assuming that you will get the train out to Metlife from Manhattan - the stadium is actually in New Jersey though it ain't far in distance. If you do this, give yourself plenty of time at Penn Station as it is likely going to be incredibly busy game day. You might find it hard to work out where you are going as the tix are issued from machines that aren't the most clear, but you are looking for Meadowlands. Bear in mind you have to get 2 trains, but easy to follow the crowd.
When you get to the stadium, give yourself time to get through security. They will frisk you, and make you open bags, empty pockets etc.
If you plan on having a beer at the game, BRING your passport. I've been to Metlife two occasions in the last 2 years - first time I was fine without ID, the next they were strict including the little stalls. I'm 35 and was consistently asked for ID - and an Aussie licence was not acceptable. If you want a beer, don't risk not having your passport.
Once you are in though, you are set. You can walk around, check out the shops, at Metlife they have a stage with bands playing. When you get to your seats, they'll make a huge production of the pre-game with fireworks as the players run out, the national anthem. The crowd and the atmosphere are great - Jets fans god love em, there team is crap but you'll get no end of joy listening to them bitch about Geno Smith!
The game will actually fly by really quickly, at the breaks you'll get the cheerleaders, and the t-shirt cannons etc. Hopefully you have good seats lined up.
Leaving can be a bit of a hassle as the crowd is basically shoe horned back to the train ... though for a Jets/Jags game, if you stay to the end you might find the train empty!
Have fun, it's a hell of an experience
Thanks mate awesome advice. Was thinking about taking a cab there or would be that be too expensive/time consuming. We are staying smack bang in time square

Thanks mate awesome advice. Was thinking about taking a cab there or would be that be too expensive/time consuming. We are staying smack bang in time square
Considering you are staying in Times Square the Port Authority Bus Terminal (on 8th Avenue between 41st and 42nd streets) may be another option to get to the game. I did this in 2012 and I think it cost either $10 or $15 per person return. There is a specific window in which tickets are sold and they have regular buses going direct to Metlife. The only negative to this was the extreme lineup and wait after the game, I reckon it took an hour in line (Sunday night game). Hopefully they have improved this since then.

Even though its probably only 10-20 km to the stadium, remember that technically you are going interstate. so you need to make sure that NY cabs or Uber will get you there first of all, and then if there are tolls/traffic? I reckon it would be expensive
For 10 bucks return and about 40 mins each way I'd just do the trains ... it's easy, but sort out the train tix in advance. I copped the crowd for Monday Night Football so that might have made getting tix more difficult with the regular crowd leaving from work
Or try the buses as neddy said ... but I have no idea there really. but I reckon public transport will be least problematic

Emory University did a study on bandwagon fans in the NFL, comparing attendance and social media sites, and in first place, shows Arizonal Cardinals have the most susceptible people to bandwagon'ing.

After the Cardinals is the Saints, Bills, Raiders, Redskins, and at sixth, Jaguars.

https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/nfl/2014-nfl-fan-quality-analysis/

Emory University did a study on bandwagon fans in the NFL, comparing attendance and social media sites, and in first place, shows Arizonal Cardinals have the most susceptible people to bandwagon'ing.

After the Cardinals is the Saints, Bills, Raiders, Redskins, and at sixth, Jaguars.

Some real strugglers amongst that lot though, Pats have been successful for 15 years so we don't really know where they stand.

That study is a bunch of crap in my humble opinion. They way they go about determining it is utter nonsense. The smell test applies to this "study", while Arizona and perhaps New Orleans are arguable---Bills, Redskins, and Browns fans (10th on that ridiculous list) are the furthest thing from "bandwagon" fans.

I can assure all those down in the Southern Hemisphere that there is no band upon which any fans can wagon for my team. The fact we continually sell out the place year after year...the fact we post high television ratings year after year....watching some of the worst football known to mankind is a testament to how un-bandwagony we are.

This study was utter rubbish and the criteria they used to "justify" their findings is absurd. It was trolling for internet hits at its finest.

That study is a bunch of crap in my humble opinion. They way they go about determining it is utter nonsense. The smell test applies to this "study", while Arizona and perhaps New Orleans are arguable---Bills, Redskins, and Browns fans (10th on that ridiculous list) are the furthest thing from "bandwagon" fans.

I can assure all those down in the Southern Hemisphere that there is no band upon which any fans can wagon for my team. The fact we continually sell out the place year after year...the fact we post high television ratings year after year....watching some of the worst football known to mankind is a testament to how un-bandwagony we are.

This study was utter rubbish and the criteria they used to "justify" their findings is absurd. It was trolling for internet hits at its finest.
Agree. It's basis is flawed. Still, posting it for interest sake.

Agree. It's basis is flawed. Still, posting it for interest sake.

No problem...just had to put my two cents in. It appears they are using some sort of formula involving economics, including money spent on team, etc...to come up with their findings. Guess Mark Twain was right, there are lies, damned lies and statistics.

Whatever formula they created to get the results may "work" in the mathematician's world--but in the real world it just doesn't pass muster.

Pretty clear none of these folks actually watch NFL football.

No problem...just had to put my two cents in. It appears they are using some sort of formula involving economics, including money spent on team, etc...to come up with their findings. Guess Mark Twain was right, there are lies, damned lies and statistics.

Whatever formula they created to get the results may "work" in the mathematician's world--but in the real world it just doesn't pass muster.

Pretty clear none of these folks actually watch NFL football.
There are some things in life, perhaps many things in life, that just can't be qualified by statistics and math.

There are some things in life, perhaps many things in life, that just can't be qualified by statistics and math.

That is a true statement. But, they have people talking about the school and about the "study", even in Australia--so perhaps there is a method to the madness.

The ranked us among the "worst" fans in the NFL as well---which was more laughable then being 10th on the "bandwagon" list. You can certainly say a lot of things about us---idiots for staying loyal to this mess of a franchise, etc...but "worst" fans---right, sure. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is a true statement. But, they have people talking about the school and about the "study", even in Australia--so perhaps there is a method to the madness.

The ranked us among the "worst" fans in the NFL as well---which was more laughable then being 10th on the "bandwagon" list. You can certainly say a lot of things about us---idiots for staying loyal to this mess of a franchise, etc...but "worst" fans---right, sure. :rolleyes:

It just doesn't even need a "study". It's pretty fvcking obvious that fans who stick by their team thru the down times for decades, like the Browns, are loyal and good fans, and nowhere near the word "bandwagoner". While all the fans that pop up supporting teams that start becoming really good are bandwagon fans themselves. Every team has them. They support them, but stay away from the game, or support another team in the meantime, but when their team starts winning again, they jump back on. Or, there are all those young'uns who grow up in an era of a team's dynasty and so gravitate towards them becoming 'life-long' fans of that team DUE TO them being great at the time they first got into the game. They're also bandwagon fans....and many NFL teams who had eras of great success, accrued such fans.

It just doesn't even need a "study". It's pretty fvcking obvious that fans who stick by their team thru the down times for decades, like the Browns, are loyal and good fans, and nowhere near the word "bandwagoner". While all the fans that pop up supporting teams that start becoming really good are bandwagon fans themselves. Every team has them. They support them, but stay away from the game, or support another team in the meantime, but when their team starts winning again, they jump back on. Or, there are all those young'uns who grow up in an era of a team's dynasty and so gravitate towards them becoming 'life-long' fans of that team DUE TO them being great at the time they first got into the game. They're also bandwagon fans....and many NFL teams who had eras of great success, accrued such fans.

No question about it--believe me, I pray for the day we are good enough again to acquire "bandwagon" fans!! I should live so long! lol

They only need visit the Ohio/Pennsylvania border to see what a "bandwagon" fan looks like and whom they support. After we blasted the Squeelers 31-10 last season you could drive thru Youngstown, Ohio and not find one person with a Pittspuke anything on--no hats, jersey, etc..

Flash forward a few weeks later and all of a sudden there were Squeeler flags, etc...back in sight as it became clear they would make the playoffs.

I know this cause I go thru that area for business on my to Pittspuke. That was bandwagonning at its finest. ;)

No question about it--believe me, I pray for the day we are good enough again to acquire "bandwagon" fans!! I should live so long! lol

They only need visit the Ohio/Pennsylvania border to see what a "bandwagon" fan looks like and whom they support. After we blasted the Squeelers 31-10 last season you could drive thru Youngstown, Ohio and not find one person with a Pittspuke anything on--no hats, jersey, etc..

Flash forward a few weeks later and all of a sudden there were Squeeler flags, etc...back in sight as it became clear they would make the playoffs.

I know this cause I go thru that area for business on my to Pittspuke. That was bandwagonning at its finest. ;)
In regards to Steelers fans in Pittsburgh....wouldn't say they were bandwagoners at all. They're always going to be Steelers fans. Nothing else. Regardless of them becoming an all-time great club when Rooney appeared, or if they never did. Always would've been Steelers fans.

But what it DOES say of them is that they're shameful fans. If they lose, they don't have the balls to openly and bravely show their colors. Only when they're winning. Whereas Raider fans, we're crazy for the Raiders week-in/year-in showing our colors, wearing our gear, driving around in our customized cars/bikes with Raiders motifs etc.

In regards to Steelers fans in Pittsburgh....wouldn't say they were bandwagoners at all. They're always going to be Steelers fans. Nothing else. But what it DOES say of them is that they're shameful fans. If they lose, they don't have the balls to openly and bravely show their colors. Only when they're winning. Whereas Raider fans, we're crazy for the Raiders week-in/year-in showing our colors, wearing our gear, driving around in our customized cars/bikes with Raiders motifs etc.

Trust me...along the border they are bandwagonning fans...30 years ago you couldn't find a Squeeler fan--as the Browns were in the midst of dominating most of the 1980's and those "fans" were onboard our bandwagon. Now they are Squeeler "fans".

I agree that Squeeler fans, in general, are a loyal lot win or lose---no question. Just talking about the area between the two cities where "fans" go back and forth depending on which way the wind blows. In the 80's had Emory done the study..yep Cleveland had a top 10 "bandwagon" fan base because so many in areas like Youngstown were "on board". We were good and they sucked. (Mark Malone, Cliff Stoudt and Bubby Brister will do that to ya)

Nowadays--they belong in the top 10 because of those areas.

Why the "study" is so silly anyhow.

Now THIS "study" is 100% dead on balls accurate! lol

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000503270/article/pain-rankings-no-1-the-cleveland-browns

In an exercise that focuses on the Super Bowl era, nobody can touch the unadulterated hurt of Cleveland's football enterprise. Zero Super Bowl trips, a trio of iconic playoff losses in the '80s, the outright elimination of the franchise for a period in the '90s and an unrelenting struggle in the post-rebirth 2000s.

This is an endlessly loyal fan base still searching for its reward. It was terrible for the city when the Cavs lost LeBron James to the Miami Heat in 2010 -- but at least Cleveland's NBA team had a LeBron (and later got him back, to boot). The Browns are still waiting for their King to walk through the door. That guy -- whoever he is -- is running seriously late.

Trust me...along the border they are bandwagonning fans...30 years ago you couldn't find a Squeeler fan--as the Browns were in the midst of dominating most of the 1980's and those "fans" were onboard our bandwagon. Now they are Squeeler "fans".

I agree that Squeeler fans, in general, are a loyal lot win or lose---no question. Just talking about the area between the two cities where "fans" go back and forth depending on which way the wind blows. In the 80's had Emory done the study..yep Cleveland had a top 10 "bandwagon" fan base because so many in areas like Youngstown were "on board". We were good and they sucked. (Mark Malone, Cliff Stoudt and Bubby Brister will do that to ya)

Nowadays--they belong in the top 10 because of those areas.

Why the "study" is so silly anyhow.
Oh, sorry. Sure, on the border there is no real dividing line of fandom...it's a hotpot of people who can spill either way depending on success of either franchise. Kind of like the East and West Bays in Northern California.

johnny-manziel-touchdown-celebration.gif

I like the frankness and authority of this statement.

Are you talking about patty fans outside of Massachusetts?

Naw was taking a shot at those fans outside Appalachia who find their Squeeler "fandom" when things are running hot and evaporate into the sky when they get obliterated 31-10 by a crappy Browns team and it looks like their season is heading south. ;)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL New to NFL - Looking for a Team to Follow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back