List Mgmt. Next Skipper

Who will be the Next Captain of St Kilda?

• Leigh Montagna

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Nick Riewoldt (will never retire)

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Jarryn Geary

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Jack Newnes

Votes: 54 38.8%
  • Jack Billings

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Jack Steven

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Mav Weller

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • David Armitage

Votes: 46 33.1%
  • Luke Dunstan

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

No. Where the hell did you come up with that? And LOL whatever that means.
Why'd you ask him if he thought Roo was arrogant? Are you implying arrogance isn't a good trait as a captain or leader? Because if Nick is arrogant I sure as heck don't see it, and if he is he must be doing something right. I don't know what your initial post had to do with anything really.

Why'd you ask him if he thought Roo was arrogant? Are you implying arrogance isn't a good trait as a captain or leader? Because if Nick is arrogant I sure as heck don't see it, and if he is he must be doing something right. I don't know what your initial post had to do with anything really.

No I'm not implying that at all. Roo is far from arrogant. My initial post was to ask why you didn't want Armo as captain. I think that post is fair enough. If you don't like my posts apparently the ignore button is good on here whoever if you don't choose to use it please read my post carefully before commenting.

No I'm not implying that at all. Roo is far from arrogant. My initial post was to ask why you didn't want Armo as captain. I think that post is fair enough. If you don't like my posts apparently the ignore button is good on here whoever if you don't choose to use it please read my post carefully before commenting.
Where does 'arrogance' in either Roo or Armo come into it? We both gave reasons why we didn't think Armitage should be captain, arrogance wasn't mentioned in either post. So why bring it up.

I think you do make contributions here but sometimes you just like to downplay people's posts if they genuinely know intricacies about the club, that's all. No ill feeling towards you mate just something people notice.

I'm not a huge fan of Armo as captain either, he's an awesome lad type who would be a great guy to chug beers with but his personality doesn't scream leader. Newnes isn't a jokey smiley type, he is intense and upright. He looks you straight in the eye until you get nervous. I would follow him into battle in a heart beat. A captain needs to be a spokes person, on field leader and face of the club at sponsor stuff, charity events etc. Newnes is personable but serious like Rooey and is the complete package.

I agree entirely. Newnes and Armo were each on one of the Sunday footy shows last weekend ( can't remember who was on which). Armo seems like a really nice guy but Newnes was much more of an impressive spokesman. He handled himself extremely well and appeared to be much more at ease in front of the cameras.

I know there is more to good leadership than that, but the impressive way he has gone about quietly improving his game and his consistency speaks volumes. I would be very happy to see him become our next captain.

Isnt Roo arrogant? I'm sure you said that previously.

He is a bit arrogant but not offensively so. He hasn't got heaps of time for the fans but he can't get around everyone who wants his time usually so understandable, he's certainly not Hird or Carey. He has a very serious demeanour and an intensity that lets you know he doesn't tolerate bullshit readily. I can see why he's a good captain on field he has the intimidation factor of a school principal or policeman, Newnes has that too. The younger players are a particularly nice group of young men and you can see their personalities are emphasised when the club recruits them.

Anyway you said the players hate Tom Lee's attitude or something didn't you and seeing you keep in contact with Lenny and Jack Steven one of them thinks he's a dick by the sound of it.

He is a bit arrogant but not offensively so. He hasn't got heaps of time for the fans but he can't get around everyone who wants his time usually so understandable, he's certainly not Hird or Carey. He has a very serious demeanour and an intensity that lets you know he doesn't tolerate bullshit readily. I can see why he's a good captain on field he has the intimidation factor of a school principal or policeman, Newnes has that too. The younger players are a particularly nice group of young men and you can see their personalities are emphasised when the club recruits them.

Anyway you said the players hate Tom Lee's attitude or something didn't you and seeing you keep in contact with Lenny and Jack Steven one of them thinks he's a dick by the sound of it.

Every good leader has a touch of arrogance about them, I think it's almost a necessity and it's what sets them apart from the crowd. What they shouldn't have is an overpowering ego....and Roo certainly does not seem to have that. I have met him on a few occasions and he was always happy to have a chat and a photo taken.

Where does 'arrogance' in either Roo or Armo come into it? We both gave reasons why we didn't think Armitage should be captain, arrogance wasn't mentioned in either post. So why bring it up.

I think you do make contributions here but sometimes you just like to downplay people's posts if they genuinely know intricacies about the club, that's all. No ill feeling towards you mate just something people notice.

The point of my post was Gringo decides a lot about people by meeting them a few times. I believe you cant make an opinion about someone from meeting them once or twice in a footy environment. He said Newnes should be captain and some of the reasons are because of meeting him a few times. I have no problem with Newnes being captain at all but I don't think meeting him once or twice tells you a lot about a person. He has said previously from meeting Roo he is arrogant and I don't believe that to be true at all from meeting him a few more than a few times and outside the footy environment. So my point is its fine to have Newnes captain but he may not be like he said just because he has talked to him a couple of times. He may be but a few chats doesn't give you the full impression on people. And I down play posts not because they have inside knowledge or this crap about being jealous but because I sometimes think what is written is wrong, crap or doesn't make sense. If people want to believe what is written that's fine but I will questions statements I believe aren't right. I didn't question you knowing Armo and that is knowing someone inside the club because I have no reason to question it at all.

Gringo please don't say comments that aren't true. I never once said the players hate Lee's attitude. That is completely untrue and even more untrue is saying either of those 2 people said it. Please don't say things like that and if they did say it I wouldn't mention it on here. If people know a player cant stand another player then its no ones business on here and I certainly wouldn't be saying it.

Watch the videos of Newnes and Armo on the Saints app. Armo is making jokes that he's too dumb to pass concussion tests even when he hasn't had a concussion. It's funny, and endearing... But not what I would want a captain to say about themselves.

Armo is a great sergeant - a leader among the grunts - and that is a valuable and commendable role. But Maverick or Newnes are the steely types you go to war for.

Watch the videos of Newnes and Armo on the Saints app. Armo is making jokes that he's too dumb to pass concussion tests even when he hasn't had a concussion. It's funny, and endearing... But not what I would want a captain to say about themselves.

Armo is a great sergeant - a leader among the grunts - and that is a valuable and commendable role. But Maverick or Newnes are the steely types you go to war for.
You don't even have to know the guy to realize what he's like, as you can see yourself haha. While he's a great player and one of our best mids, it doesn't always equate to leadership. Look at the likes of Tom Harley, Nick Maxwell, etc. I mean he has leadership qualities and that's quite evident but you need to go to another level to captain the footy club. The only two players on our list apart from Roo and the older boys that I can see either have that steely resolve or genuinely love the football club are Newnes and Weller.

agree with this... armos a lad... lads can still be respected, drive a standard and lead by example but they rarely are the front and image of an organisation. newnes is a leader and someone you'd be prepared to be the front, image and brand of an organisation

having said that, i think newnes is too young. as mature as he seems he probably gets up to some pretty immature stuff that could bite him with the extra attention if he aint careful

thats why i think geary/weller might be ahead of newnes and armo

Gringo please don't say comments that aren't true. I never once said the players hate Lee's attitude. That is completely untrue and even more untrue is saying either of those 2 people said it. Please don't say things like that and if they did say it I wouldn't mention it on here. If people know a player cant stand another player then its no ones business on here and I certainly wouldn't be saying it.

You said you heard he has a bad attitude. It was assumed it was your mates, It must have come from someone else inside the club. Anyway I meet a few players through my business and have met them outside of events. I have dealt with some of the higher profile guys in our club and as they are clients I wouldn't speak about that contact as if they worked out who I was I would lose business.

I'm happy to report what I see of them at the club events because how they present themselves is in the public domain. I meet players from other clubs too and generally they are all very amicable people. I deal with a few guys who are ex players and an AFL legend and several AFL administrators through work as well. I find it really interesting to see the personality types and think it might be interesting to others as well. It does appear that you get very upset when ever anyone else mentions players, we do all know you are mates with the guys you boarded and you probably have the most all encompassing knowledge of anyone on here when it come to the players. I'm not writing stuff for you so maybe put me on ignore so you don't get upset.

I agree entirely. Newnes and Armo were each on one of the Sunday footy shows last weekend ( can't remember who was on which). Armo seems like a really nice guy but Newnes was much more of an impressive spokesman. He handled himself extremely well and appeared to be much more at ease in front of the cameras.

I know there is more to good leadership than that, but the impressive way he has gone about quietly improving his game and his consistency speaks volumes. I would be very happy to see him become our next captain.
Love that kid. Gets no recognition externally at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

agree with this... armos a lad... lads can still be respected, drive a standard and lead by example but they rarely are the front and image of an organisation. newnes is a leader and someone you'd be prepared to be the front, image and brand of an organisation

having said that, i think newnes is too young. as mature as he seems he probably gets up to some pretty immature stuff that could bite him with the extra attention if he aint careful

thats why i think geary/weller might be ahead of newnes and armo
Apart from age what separates Geary/Weller/Newnes?

a back slash? hehehe off the top of my head not sure to be honest. on field form? are they all in the leadership group?
Laughed out loud at that hahaha!

Yeah they are all in the leadership group. I just thought you may know more about what their personalities are like. Age they are quite similar, Geary a bit older, but other than that they all seem to have legit shots at the captaincy.

You said you heard he has a bad attitude. It was assumed it was your mates, It must have come from someone else inside the club. Anyway I meet a few players through my business and have met them outside of events. I have dealt with some of the higher profile guys in our club and as they are clients I wouldn't speak about that contact as if they worked out who I was I would lose business.

I'm happy to report what I see of them at the club events because how they present themselves is in the public domain. I meet players from other clubs too and generally they are all very amicable people. I deal with a few guys who are ex players and an AFL legend and several AFL administrators through work as well. I find it really interesting to see the personality types and think it might be interesting to others as well. It does appear that you get very upset when ever anyone else mentions players, we do all know you are mates with the guys you boarded and you probably have the most all encompassing knowledge of anyone on here when it come to the players. I'm not writing stuff for you so maybe put me on ignore so you don't get upset.

Firstly it was no one inside the club. As I just said if it was I wouldn't mention it on here because that isn't something that should be mentioned. And I have never said I don't want to read what you write about meeting players. It would interest a lot of people. All I have said is you cant decide someone is a great guy or arrogant after talking to them once or twice. And I do get upset when people say Roo is arrogant after talking to them a couple of times. I don't get upset at all if someone knows a player. Do you think I'm 9 years old and never met a player? And I have hardly any knowledge of the current players. Certainly none recruited since 2011 which is most. Why would I put you on ignore. I like your posts. Doesn't mean I wont question some and you certainly question some of mine and I couldn't give a stuff that you do that so maybe you should feel the same.

Laughed out loud at that hahaha!

Yeah they are all in the leadership group. I just thought you may know more about what their personalities are like. Age they are quite similar, Geary a bit older, but other than that they all seem to have legit shots at the captaincy.

i think (not in the know at all) geary's because of age is just more mature.. more a stay at home type. where as newnes is the opposite end of the spectrum and doesnt mind a beer or 4.. mav somewhere in the middle?

I feel like it'll be Armitage next, he's been taking part in the media a lot over the past year or so- might be "gearing up for the job" so to speak. I don't think Armitage will remain captain for long though. I feel like Newnes, Paddy and Hugh all show leadership potential beyond Armitage, based on the way they handle themselves when they talk to the media and based on how they act on field. I don't expect Paddy or Hugh would take over any time in the next 5 years however, if that were the direction things are going.

i think (not in the know at all) geary's because of age is just more mature.. more a stay at home type. where as newnes is the opposite end of the spectrum and doesnt mind a beer or 4.. mav somewhere in the middle?

Tex walker, brown and hodge all love a beer and it hasn't stopped them from being good/great leaders.

I can't believe people are actually dismissing Armitage because of his interview on GameDay.
Should Riewoldt have been stripped of the captaincy when he & joey did the hidden camera prank on GameDay all those years ago?
Some of you need to get a life.
It's chat on a footy forum. Do you really think the club gives a crap? As has been told me repeatedly, they don't.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Next Skipper

Back