Next stop - Manuka

Remove this Banner Ad

That would be a much more sensible decision... at least there's some relevance.

But there is the whole thing about the ground not being upto AFL standard. Which is why they just re-surfaced the whole thing ready for next years pre-season (where they will be hosting a game)

But there is the whole thing about the ground not being upto AFL standard. Which is why they just re-surfaced the whole thing ready for next years pre-season (where they will be hosting a game)

Well that's an AFL furphy as well - I am sure the ground in Ballarat would be at least the equal of the one the weags and the crows will play on in Alice Springs next weekend.

No kidding - Geraldton, Mandurah, Albany, Kalgoorlie, Bunbury, Busselton... any one of these places would get a much bigger crowd than they'd get in Canberra.

WTF can they possibly hope to achieve from sending Freo to Canberra??? :confused:
Think we should be thankful we are playing at a decent quality ground.

Manuka is a bowling green.

What would they achieve by sending Freo to country Victoria? Apart from it being a football state.

Rather not be sent down to Albany or wherever it was where there was 3 knees done or whatever, in the one game...

Yeah gravy, we're all counting on you to give us something more informative than the useless, bland overview the papers will have.

Pressure's on buddy. Better take a tape recorder or something. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/72548/default.aspx

Pav back for pre-season

AFTER missing Fremantle's first two competitive hit-outs, Matthew Pavlich is set to line up for the remainder of the pre-season, starting this Saturday against North Melbourne.

The skipper will be joined by teammate Chris Tarrant, who also missed Fremantle's intra-club match and three-point NAB Cup loss to Richmond 10 days ago.

But coach Mark Harvey said despite the big name inclusions, the side that travels to Canberra will have a young look about it.

"Our group of players we are taking to Canberra will be a group of very inexperienced players," Harvey said on Wednesday.

"We have made some significant changes to the group that we played against Richmond.

"[Pavlich and Tarrant] are playing this week. Matthew is back on track and he will play the next three games, which will top him off nicely."

Underlining Fremantle's youthful approach to Saturday's NAB Challenge fixture is the inclusion of 18-year-old ruck prospect Zac Clarke.

With Aaron Sandilands and Kepler Bradley both being rested, the 203cm Clarke will share ruck duties with Daniel Gilmore.

Teams will be confirmed on Thursday, but with Hamish McIntosh, Drew Petrie and David Hale all capable of rucking for North Melbourne it shapes as a challenging debut for the lightly built Clarke.

"He is a young kid we have found out a lot about in the last six or seven weeks since we have had him, and he has got some exceptional talent," Harvey said.

"But it is going to take a long time for his body to be able to handle the rigours of rucking.

"We might get a pleasant surprise on Saturday, or we might find out exactly where he is at."

Harvey is likely to travel at least ten young players yet to debut at AFL level.

Draftee Hayden Ballantyne will not make the trip and is in doubt for the round one clash with the Western Bulldogs as he recovers from wrist surgery.

The side will now take part in an additional NAB Challenge fixture on March 7 against West Coast, with all funds raised to assist those affected by the Victorian bushfires.

As a WA expat in a non-AFL town, normally I rely (??) on you lot for extra info on Freo, like the atmosphere at games, tactics and setups, and updates on training. Finally, with Freo coming to Manuka for only the second time ever (I think), I get the chance to give something back.

I know it is only a pre-season match, but still - is there anything/anyone you want info on in particular? Esti, who did you want tape recorded? And do you want them to know we are recording them, or should I take more of a secret squirrel type approach??

The only other game we've played at Manuka was also against the Roos - in 2002 I think. As I recall it, we led for almost the entire game, only for Macca to kick out on the full (under no pressure) on the wing twice in the last ten minutes - with North kicking a goal off each turnover and winning by a point...

As to the crowd, despite a price of $28/seat, and a Brumbies-v-Crusaders game the night before, Manuka still had over 5000 last weekend, and I saw at least 50 or 60 Freo jerseys scattered among the masses, so hopefully there will still be an OK crowd. It will be 32 degrees and sunny, so the weather will be great for this time of year too.

The surface is top notch, and the ground is reasonably close in dimensions to Subi (especially when compared to most of the other pre-season venues), so it might be quite useful to trial some of the different setups and tactics on. Port's speed and skill just killed the Swans last weekend, and I'm hoping some of our youngsters will do the same tomorrow...

Also, the crowd is likely to be boosted because entry is completely free. As gravy says, this is a big change from the cost we normally have to fork out to see AFL in this neck of the woods. Having been to over 30 Freo matches in Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane and Tassie over the last ten years, and seen them lose every single time (including the debacle against the Dees last year at the 'G), I'm hoping I finally get to see a win. And if they don't win, at least I won't have had to pay thousands for the privilege of defeat.

Anyway, let me know if you'd like any particular info, I'll do my best to get what I can - and thanks to everybody for all the posts and info you provide during every season...

I can't speak for everyone but personally I mainly want to know how the rookies and young players go. Especially my man Sibo if he plays. Plus how we set up and how any players in unusual positions go.

Tape recorder's optional - unless you think you can sneak it in to the post match address.

Woot! Manuka....I only realised this morning.

I get to see a game this season..albeit pre-season. Haven't been to a Dockers game in three years.

So it looks like there will be at least three Dockers supporters there. I wonder if we can be the cheer squad:p:p

Don't expect much from me in the way of a match report...I don't know the new guys by sight... Eg 'the blonde dude kicked it to the long haired dude.' would be about the extent of it.

Going to be 32 here today so nice and warm for those roo melbournites...

You'll all hate this but when I got here I joined the roos as a Canberra supporter to get good tickets so I could at least see a game. Then the next year they up and betrayed Canberra and did a runner. They still spam me trying to get me to rejoin...Two chances on that.

Go freo, get some revenge for me! Yes it's all about me today.

Woot! Manuka....I only realised this morning.

I get to see a game this season..albeit pre-season. Haven't been to a Dockers game in three years.

So it looks like there will be at least three Dockers supporters there. I wonder if we can be the cheer squad:p:p

Don't expect much from me in the way of a match report...I don't know the new guys by sight... Eg 'the blonde dude kicked it to the long haired dude.' would be about the extent of it.

Going to be 32 here today so nice and warm for those roo melbournites...

You'll all hate this but when I got here I joined the roos as a Canberra supporter to get good tickets so I could at least see a game. Then the next year they up and betrayed Canberra and did a runner. They still spam me trying to get me to rejoin...Two chances on that.

Go freo, get some revenge for me! Yes it's all about me today.

All will be forgiven if you take a look at the beginning of the thread, look at the numbers, get to know your players, take photos and give me a rundown on how that awesome young forward Sobosado is looking.

PS you will need to provide a FULL stats report for my Dream Team!

That is all we demand for your sins!:D:D:D

awesome young forward Sobosado

Are you for real? There's a reason why all the clubs overlooked him in the draft. He is a long term prospect, and may not even make it in the long term. Your faith in this guy is unbelievable, he struggled to get a touch in the practice game. And its spelled Sibosado btw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Next stop - Manuka

Remove this Banner Ad

Back