Matthew Johnson, please stop taking on the tackler every time you get the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

I think after reading this thread about him on BF, you will notice a difference this weekend.

Either he takes on the tacklers less or he gets more htb as a big f#@$ U lol 😂😆

Balance is all we are asking for. We have a better player sitting on the sidelines, for today and Johnson is stuffing up every second possession with unrealistic over-confidence and frankly very poor skills. Surely, a young player just tries and get the basics right first so we can continue to win games while he is learning. If he wants to be so expansive so early in his career, then go and practice it in the wafl and at training. I am hoping Freo are looking at making the finals this year, not constantly pushing things into the following year.
Who is the better player on the sidelines?

The kid is 193cm and hasnt even played 30 games yet. I'd go as far as to say most of his games played to date have also been played out of position - just trying to get him experience in the team.

I love watching him play - he makes errors but has so much potential. His height and reach will make him a stronger weapon as he develops and when Fyfe eventually finishes.

Poor thread in my opinion - you're being highly critical over a remarkably small sample size. He's a kid, still learning, and i've seen him break many a tackle already. If i'm JL i'm telling him the opposite to the OP - keep taking the game on young fella, i'm backing you in.

Couldn’t agree more

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Most are not denying that he is going to be a good footballer, just questioning whether this constant taking on of the tacklers is really necessary. It is hurting the team. There is plenty if time for that when he gets stronger, assuming he masters the art. Typical shite on here as soon as you question anything.

Most are not denying that he is going to be a good footballer, just questioning whether this constant taking on of the tacklers is really necessary. It is hurting the team. There is plenty if time for that when he gets stronger, assuming he masters the art. Typical shite on here as soon as you question anything.
How do you get good at something if you can't practice it at the level?

It's no different to any other skill. You don't drop Amiss because he's not strong enough to hold his contested marks.

It's no different to any other skill. You don't drop Amiss because he's not strong enough to hold his contested marks.
There is a difference in doing something because you have to and doing it when you don't have to. He could continue learning his game without pulling out the fend- off every time he touches the ball. Good decision-making is also a requirement. Why doesn't he have to learn that? He has had the full season so far to improve that part of his game and he hasn't. Funny how it is ok for him to make the same mistakes over and over and others get dropped. Ten bucks if Sturt misses a tackle or get a goal kicked on him by his defender, everyone will want him dropped. Including the selectively tolerant coaches. Double standards I'm afraid.

If every mark Amiss went for was a contested mark and he couldn't get separation on the lead or was useless at ground level I reckon you might drop him. In Amiss's case he's quite good at the latter two.

The problem isn't that Matthew Johnson tries to break tackles, that's good. It's that its his first instinct on multiple occasions, and it quite often doesn't work out. I'd like him to add a few more strings to his bow.

There is a difference in doing something because you have to and doing it when you don't have to. He could continue learning his game without pulling out the fend- off every time he touches the ball. Good decision-making is also a requirement. Why doesn't he have to learn that? He has had the full season so far to improve that part of his game and he hasn't. Funny how it is ok for him to make the same mistakes over and over and others get dropped. Ten bucks if Sturt misses a tackle or get a goal kicked on him by his defender, everyone will want him dropped. Including the selectively tolerant coaches. Double standards I'm afraid.

If every mark Amiss went for was a contested mark and he couldn't get separation on the lead or was useless at ground level I reckon you might drop him. In Amiss's case he's quite good at the latter two.

The problem isn't that Matthew Johnson tries to break tackles, that's good. It's that its his first instinct on multiple occasions, and it quite often doesn't work out. I'd like him to add a few more strings to his bow.
It's his point of difference. We even released that video of Fyfe talking to him about being the biggest dude.

I'm happy for him to keep doing it. Decision making comes with experience.

This thread goes in a loop lol

Those that think he should continue doing what he has been doing by taking the tacklers on and others who thinks h taking the tacklers on should not be the first option when there are others

Last edited:
It's his point of difference. We even released that video of Fyfe talking to him about being the biggest dude.

I'm happy for him to keep doing it. Decision making comes with experience.
That's just blokey rubbish. I'm sure you would be really pleased if Amiss was deciding to try and only take contested marks on Steven May and refuse to lead or take a groundball because he wanted to be the biggest strongest dude out there, 3 years before he could even hope to be, if ever. Fyfe hasn't succeeded as the big tough guy taking on the tackles as he doesn't have a great fend and consequently, he gets caught holding the ball 70% of the time. Experience hasn't seemed to have helped Fyfe in that area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's just blokey rubbish. I'm sure you would be really pleased if Amiss was deciding to try and only take contested marks on Steven May and refuse to lead or take a groundball because he wanted to be the biggest strongest dude out there, 3 years before he could even hope to be, if ever. Fyfe hasn't succeeded as the big tough guy taking on the tackles as he doesn't have a great fend and consequently, he gets caught holding the ball 70% of the time. Experience hasn't seemed to have helped Fyfe in that area.
Call it whatever you like, I like it and hope he keeps doing it.

Interesting timing with him being rested the same week as the AFL deciding to make quicker HTB calls.

I think he is clearly being told by the coaches to take them on. He said it in an after match interview a few weeks back

People who are upset at Johnson fending off and get HTB decisions against him, need to know this season he is averaging “one free against” per game. The same as other midfielders Andy Brayshaw and JOM and less than Fyfe and Young (both 1.45 per game) and =9th in our list

People who are upset at Johnson fending off and get HTB decisions against him, need to know this season he is averaging “one free against” per game. The same as other midfielders Andy Brayshaw and JOM and less than Fyfe and Young (both 1.45 per game) and =9th in our list

Shh, don’t break their confirmation bias they’ve clearly been working on for some time.
Pretty sure he is also rated top 10 in AFL for tackles broken, but can’t remember where I read that.

Shh, don’t break their confirmation bias they’ve clearly been working on for some time.
Pretty sure he is also rated top 10 in AFL for tackles broken, but can’t remember where I read that.

Yeah I read that as well but now can’t find it

To be fair a HTB isn't the only negative outcome from taking on the tackler. He had a couple of situations last week were he took on the tackler instead of taking the first option that led to a turnover or increased pressure for the receiver.

Screenshot_20240602-085922.png

He gets a ground ball here and should be giving the quick hands to Aish, but instead he engages the tackler.

Screenshot_20240602-090010.png

Screenshot_20240602-090029.png

He under pressure now and it affects his handball, which goes wide towards the boundary.

Screenshot_20240602-090053.png

Aish now has to go get the ball and is under a lot of pressure resulting in a rushed kick down the line.

But if he was able to stand up in that tackle a bit better and give a clean handball to Aish then Aish would have had a lot more time to dispose of the ball than if he had given the first quick handball.

He also had another moment when he had those 5 disposals in 30 seconds.

Screenshot_20240602-090201.png

He breaks this Daicos tackle and has a clear run.

Screenshot_20240602-090225.png

He has Brayshaw or even Young as handball options but tries to take on Hill.

Screenshot_20240602-090246.png

Screenshot_20240602-090317.png

His handball is affected and he turns it over. Luckily we win it back 5 seconds later and Johnson get involved again.

I'm happy for him to take it on because as a team we need to take more risks, he just needs to find the balance a bit better.

Interesting timing with him being rested the same week as the AFL deciding to make quicker HTB calls.

I think it'll be the best thing for him. Rather than retaining the ball and trying to think through 3 or 4 options before getting tackled. It'll be just hit the first option!

To be fair a HTB isn't the only negative outcome from taking on the tackler. He had a couple of situations last week were he took on the tackler instead of taking the first option that led to a turnover or increased pressure for the receiver.

View attachment 2008154

He gets a ground ball here and should be giving the quick hands to Aish, but instead he engages the tackler.

View attachment 2008157

View attachment 2008158

He under pressure now and it affects his handball, which goes wide towards the boundary.

View attachment 2008163

Aish now has to go get the ball and is under a lot of pressure resulting in a rushed kick down the line.

But if he was able to stand up in that tackle a bit better and give a clean handball to Aish then Aish would have had a lot more time to dispose of the ball than if he had given the first quick handball.

He also had another moment when he had those 5 disposals in 30 seconds.

View attachment 2008174

He breaks this Daicos tackle and has a clear run.

View attachment 2008180

He has Brayshaw or even Young as handball options but tries to take on Hill.

View attachment 2008181

View attachment 2008184

His handball is affected and he turns it over. Luckily we win it back 5 seconds later and Johnson get involved again.

I'm happy for him to take it on because as a team we need to take more risks, he just needs to find the balance a bit better.
Damning evidence lol

But these were the examples I was replaying in my head when putting forth the case he needed take first and better option when it was there.

As said, even he somehow released the ball after those tackles it slowed down the play and also in both examples would of resulted in moving the transition forward

How does MJ get back in after today? 🤔

Mid mix seemed on point except first 5 mins and wings flapped

Last edited:
How does MJ get back in after today? 🤔

Mid mix seemed on point except first 5 mins and wings flapped
He needs to add another string to his bow, playing as a mid forward like JHF. The man is 193 cm and has many attributes which would translate to the forwardline like his evasiveness, ground ball game and strength. If he can learn to get 1-2 goals a game he can replace Sturt in the team.

He needs to add another string to his bow, playing as a mid forward like JHF. The man is 193 cm and has many attributes which would translate to the forwardline like his evasiveness, ground ball game and strength. If he can learn to get 1-2 goals a game he can replace Sturt in the team.
Yeh, that is the aim. Was thinking as he was only supposed to be managed for this game so expectation he would come back in. Think Sturt did enough keep his spot after today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back