Other NFL - Where Are They Now?

Remove this Banner Ad

DeMaryius Thomas died from injuries received in a traffic incident 6 months after retiring

Thomas was found dead on December 9, 2021 in his home in Roswell, Georgia. It was determined that he had died from medical complications following a vehicle crash. He was 33 years old

Bloodclots then?

Longtime Broncos receiver and five-time Pro Bowler Demaryius Thomas has passed away at the age of 33.

The devastating news came down during Thursday evening's game between the Steelers and Vikings. The cause of death has not been revealed. TMZ reports Thomas was found dead in his Roswell, Ga. home on Thursday evening. The Georgia native had just called it quits in June after 11 years in the league. The No. 22 overall pick of the 2010 draft by Josh McDaniels' Broncos, Thomas' career got off to a slow start under Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow but went supernova following Peyton Manning's arrival in 2012. Thomas stacked up an astounding 5,787 yards during Manning's four years with the team, never posting fewer than 1,304. He cleared 1,000 again in 2016. Despite those glory days with Manning, Thomas' signature play came with Tebow at the helm when he walked off the Steelers in the 2011-12 Wild Card Round with an 80-yard touchdown grab in overtime. A five-time Pro Bowler and two-time second-team All-Pro, Thomas was one of the best receivers of the decade in a golden age for the position. Our thoughts are with his friends and family.

RELATED:
SOURCE: Mike Klis on Twitter
Dec 9, 2021, 11:46 PM ET

That's sad news. I wonder if he would have kept playing if not for the vehicle crash

Na, he was finished when he did his achilles a few years before that, was never the same player after that, by the time his career finished he wasn't worthy of being on a NFL roster.

Very young though, couldn't believe he was only 33. Goes to show how quickly an achilles injury can finish some athlete's careers.

Na, he was finished when he did his achilles a few years before that, was never the same player after that, by the time his career finished he wasn't worthy of being on a NFL roster.

Very young though, couldn't believe he was only 33. Goes to show how quickly an achilles injury can finish some athlete's careers.
He tore his achilles twice in his career. Surely after the first one he knew what to do to recover properly for the 2nd one.

He tore his achilles twice in his career. Surely after the first one he knew what to do to recover properly for the 2nd one.

Maybe the second one just finished him off. They often say the older you are one when you do one the harder it is to recover.

Maybe the second one just finished him off. They often say the older you are one when you do one the harder it is to recover.
I tore my Achilles in January this year for the first time and if I had done it before it would be easier to recover from as I would know what to do each month when recovering. It was horrendous the first months thinking it would never heal but given he had the injury before he knew it would get better

I tore my Achilles in January this year for the first time and if I had done it before it would be easier to recover from as I would know what to do each month when recovering. It was horrendous the first months thinking it would never heal but given he had the injury before he knew it would get better

lol, yes but you didn't used to run a 4.30 40 as a receiver for the NFL. Big difference.

Pro athletes always talk about they dont have the burst or speed they once did, for the common person, they'd probably hardly notice it, but for anthelte playing against the best its probably very noticeable, especially later in your career.

lol, yes but you didn't used to run a 4.30 40 as a receiver for the NFL. Big difference.

Pro athletes always talk about they dont have the burst or speed they once did, for the common person, they'd probably hardly notice it, but for anthelte playing against the best its probably very noticeable, especially later in your career.
Everyone notices it if it doesn't heal properly, not just pro athletes. The tendon can heal too long so there isn't enough tightness between the heal and the calf, but generally from what I hear that is due to poor rehabbing. So maybe he took it for granted given his first recovery from the injury and it never healed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O.J. Simpson exits parole, and is “completely free”

Posted by Mike Florio on December 14, 2021, 10:52 PM EST

The Hall of Fame running back who should be serving a double-life sentence for killing Nicole Brown and Ronald Goldman is officially a free man.

Via the Associated Press, O.J. Simpson exited parole on December 1. He had been due to be discharged from parole on September 29, 2022. The status was shortened due to good behavior.

“Mr. Simpson is a completely free man now,” lawyer Malcolm LaVergne told the AP.

Simpson was released from prison in Nevada on October 1, 2017, after spending multiple years behind bars following a failed plot to recover memorabilia in a Las Vegas hotel in 2007.
He still owes more than $60 million in civil judgments from the killings. Although he somehow avoided a conviction, a jury in a civil case found him responsible for the deaths.

Now 74, Simpson became the NFL’s first 2,000-yard rusher in 1973. He crossed the barrier against the Jets, 48 years ago as of Thursday, December 16. He rushed for 200 yards that day, breaking the single-season record of 1,863 set by Hall of Famer Jim Brown in 1963.

Lawrence Taylor arrested for sex offender violation

Posted by Josh Alper on December 17, 2021, 5:23 PM EST

Hall of Famer Lawrence Taylor was arrested in Florida on Thursday.

Andy Slater of Fox Sports 640 reports that Taylor was arrested for two felonies related to failing to let authorities know he had changed his address, which is required because Taylor is a registered sex offender.

Taylor pled guilty to charges of sexual misconduct and patronizing a prostitute in 2011. The prostitute was 16 at the time of the incident, but Taylor claimed he believed she was 19.

TMZ confirmed that Taylor faces two felony counts and adds that Taylor was booked around 8:45 p.m. ET on Thursday. He was released a few hours later and the website also have a picture of the mug shot that the Broward County Sheriffs Office took at the time of the arrest.

Frank Gore loses boxing match to former NBA player Deron Williams

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 19, 2021, 6:44 AM EST

1639951685215.png
Getty Images

Former NFL running back Frank Gore stepped into the boxing ring on Saturday night but lost his debut fight to former NBA player Deron Williams.

The fight wasn’t exactly a great exhibition of boxing skill, and both men were warned by the referee to stop shoving each other, but they did put together a fairly entertaining four rounds of action. Williams won by split decision.

Gore weighed in at 210 pounds for the fight and Williams at 211, but Williams is six inches taller and used his reach advantage effectively.

It’s all good,” Gore said afterward. “He won the fight tonight. He fought hard. I fought hard. I just still have to learn some stuff. He did a good job tonight. We’ll see if I fight again. I had fun tonight. I’ll go back and talk to my team to see what’s next.”

The 37-year-old Gore has said he’s open to playing in the NFL again, although at this point it’s unlikely. If we see him in action again, it will probably be a return to the boxing ring.

Ex-NFL defensive lineman Junior Siavii found dead in prison as he awaited trial

Posted by Charean Williams on January 14, 2022, 7:15 PM EST

Former NFL defensive lineman Saousoalii “Junior” Siavii died Thursday in a Leavenworth prison, the Kansas City Star reports. Siavii was 43.

The cause of death was not released.

Siavii was transferred to the U.S. Penitentiary at Leavenworth, a medium-security prison, on Dec. 17. He was awaiting trial on federal criminal charges related to drug trafficking and illegal firearm possession.

Siavii was arrested in August 2019 on suspicion of illegal firearms possession during a struggle with police in Kansas. A criminal indictment later named Siavii as part of a methamphetamine drug trafficking conspiracy in Missouri, and he and eight co-defendants were charged.

The Chiefs selected Siavii in the second round of the 2004 NFL draft. He played two seasons with the team before knee injuries forced him out of football for two years. Siavii made a comeback with the Cowboys in 2009 and played all 16 games.

The Cowboys cut Siavii out of the preseason in 2010, and he signed with the Seahawks and played 14 games before a spinal cord injury ended his career.

Frank Gore loses boxing match to former NBA player Deron Williams

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 19, 2021, 6:44 AM EST

View attachment 1299844
Getty Images

Former NFL running back Frank Gore stepped into the boxing ring on Saturday night but lost his debut fight to former NBA player Deron Williams.

The fight wasn’t exactly a great exhibition of boxing skill, and both men were warned by the referee to stop shoving each other, but they did put together a fairly entertaining four rounds of action. Williams won by split decision.

Gore weighed in at 210 pounds for the fight and Williams at 211, but Williams is six inches taller and used his reach advantage effectively.

It’s all good,” Gore said afterward. “He won the fight tonight. He fought hard. I fought hard. I just still have to learn some stuff. He did a good job tonight. We’ll see if I fight again. I had fun tonight. I’ll go back and talk to my team to see what’s next.”

The 37-year-old Gore has said he’s open to playing in the NFL again, although at this point it’s unlikely. If we see him in action again, it will probably be a return to the boxing ring.

Should have faught Nate Robinson instead

Bo Jackson helped pay for funerals of 19 children and 2 teachers killed in school massacre at Uvalde, Texas

AUSTIN, Texas -- Former sports superstar Bo Jackson helped pay for the funerals of the 19 children and two teachers killed in the Uvalde school massacre in May, revealing himself as one of the previously anonymous donors who covered costs for families after one of the deadliest classroom shootings in U.S. history.

Jackson, whose rare success in both the NFL and Major League Baseball made him one of the greatest and most marketable athletes of the 1980s and 1990s, told The Associated Press on Wednesday that he felt compelled to support the victims' families after the loss of so many children.

"I don't know if it's because I'm getting old," said Jackson, a father of three and a grandfather as he nears 60. "It's just not right for parents to bury their kids. It's just not right.

"I know every family there probably works their butts off just to do what they do. ... The last thing they needed was to shell out thousands of dollars for something that never should have happened."

Jackson said he felt a personal connection to the city he's driven through many times. Uvalde has been a regular stop for a bite to eat or groceries before a long drive farther west to visit a friend's ranch on hunting trips.

It was his familiarity with the feel of Uvalde's Main Street, leafy town square and the people he'd met on those stops that touched his heart when the news broke May 24 of the shooting at Robb Elementary. Law enforcement has been heavily criticized for taking more than an hour to enter the classroom where the 18-year-old gunman carried out the attack, and a Texas House investigative report laid blame on the school district, saying a lax safety culture, spotty alert system and unlocked doors also contributed.

Three days later, Jackson and a close friend flew to Uvalde, briefly met with Gov. Greg Abbott and presented a check for $170,000 with an offer to pay for all funeral expenses.

Abbott announced it as an anonymous donation during a May 27 news conference about aid the state was giving to victims.

"We didn't want media," Jackson said. "No one knew we were there."

And though Jackson suggested he hasn't kept it a secret, he hadn't spoken publicly about what moved him to make the trip to Uvalde and the donation until this week.

"Uvalde is a town that sticks in your mind. Just the name," Jackson said. "I don't know a soul there. It just touched me."

Jackson declined to name the friend who went with him and also contributed to the donation.

Other fundraising efforts have since raised millions to assists families, and local funeral homes said they wouldn't charge families for services. But Jackson's donation was an early point of light for the grieving families.

Abbott's office said Jackson's money was "quickly directed to cover funeral costs" through OneStar, a nonprofit created to further volunteerism and community service in Texas, including Uvalde relief efforts.

"The true spirit of our nation is Americans lifting up one another in times of need and hardship," Abbott said. "In a truly selfless act, Bo covered all funeral expenses for the victims' families so they would have one less thing to worry about as they grieved."

Jackson said he followed news coverage of the funerals, but he declined to say if he has been in direct contact with any of the families.

The day of the shooting, Jackson tweeted, "America ... let's please stop all the nonsense. Please pray for all victims. If you hear something, say something. We aren't supposed to bury our children. I'm praying for all of the families around the country who have lost loved ones to senseless shootings. This cannot continue."

When asked to elaborate on the "This cannot continue," though, Jackson declined, saying only that he wrote what he meant.

"I don't want to turn this into anything [but] what it is. I was just trying [with the donation] to put a little sunshine in someone's cloud, a very dark cloud," Jackson said.

But he also noted the regularity of mass shootings in the country.

"The last thing you want to hear is there's an active shooter in your child's school," he said. "It's happening everywhere now."

Uvalde wasn't Jackson's first large-scale act of philanthropy. He hosts an annual bike ride in his home state of Alabama to raise money for disaster relief funds, an effort started after tornadoes killed nearly 250 people. The Uvalde donation was his first in response to a mass shooting.

"It's the children. ... It's the children. ... It's the children," Jackson said, pausing before each repetition to gather himself. "If it doesn't bother you, something's wrong with you."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back