List Mgmt. NGA, Father son watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone explain the F/S being able to play for our SANFL side in their draft year to me. As I understand it's as long as they haven't played in the league side prior to the draft year?

For a player like Welsh that we would basically guarantee drafting why would we not tell him to refuse to play for the SANFL side so he can have a years development in the SANFL?

Or have I got the rules around this completely wrong?

Posted by crows dude (Oct 27, 2021):
Adelaide and Port Adelaide would have access to Father-Son prospects in their 18th year, for a full season to play in their SANFL team – if they haven’t already played League with their SANFL club. In this instance, the AFL club would pay the player’s SANFL club a $5000 transfer fee.

... don't think it's been changed

why would we not tell him to refuse to play for the SANFL side

Not sure we'd be game to go there :eek:

Thanks.

Seems beneficial to all involved for him to play for our SANFL side next year 🤞
Assuming that being at SANFL level all year is beneficial to him.

It might actually be better for him to play for the eagles and have access to their U18, reserves and league teams for his development.

Assuming that being at SANFL level all year is beneficial to him.

It might actually be better for him to play for the eagles and have access to their U18, reserves and league teams for his development.
As mentioned above I have little knowledge on this stuff and appears to be fairly uncharted territory for us and Port? So if he was to be eligible for our SANFL side he then loses ability to play at any other level?

It would certainly be an interesting debate on what is more beneficial- basically being AFL listed a year early with potential to have access to game plans, reviews, fitness & nutrition staff etc vs is he ready to play a whole year at that level

Understand their are complexities with people supporting SANFL clubs as well as the crows but I'm solely looking at it from crows point of view as I don't follow ant SANFL team other than ours.

Just posing a question to get some info and discussion

Welsh will be playing U18's Nationals for SA next year if fit regardless of anything else.

It should solely be the lads choice where he plays next year, personally I would hope he stays with the Eagles for his development whilst training with our boys from time to time.

Welsh will be playing U18's Nationals for SA next year if fit regardless of anything else.

It should solely be the lads choice where he plays next year, personally I would hope he stays with the Eagles for his development whilst training with our boys from time to time.

That's it. It's Tyler's and his family's decision.

There will be no WWT senior selection purely designed to scupper any '24 AFC ambitions Welsh may have.

WWT and Welsh would have already agreed on what's the plan, or would be having these discussions very soon.

If he plays league this year it's because he intends on playing for WWT next year, not because WWT are doing anything untoward.

There will be no WWT senior selection purely designed to scupper any '24 AFC ambitions Welsh may have.

WWT and Welsh would have already agreed on what's the plan, or would be having these discussions very soon.

If he plays league this year it's because he intends on playing for WWT next year, not because WWT are doing anything untoward.
People forget Peter Daicos kept Nick away from scrutiny and let him his enjoy football until his draft year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having watched him this year I'm not sure playing league is the right decision for 2023.

Sure but he struggled in reserves a fortnight ago. Don't think he's quite ready.
I suspect at the end of the season he will get a go. When Godden was coach at the Eagles, he brought Luko in for the finals. Luko was an under ager at the time. Sheedy is a similar coach.

Having watched him this year I'm not sure playing league is the right decision for 2023.

There is the scenario where he doesn't play league this year and still stays at WWT next year.

If he played for us in '24 he would effectively be a top up player. He won't be a full-time AFL listed player. People can forget this Burgess talk.

I have no idea what our top up players schedules look like, do they train with the club?

There is the scenario where he doesn't play league this year and still stays at WWT next year.

If he played for us in '24 he would effectively be a top up player. He won't be a full-time AFL listed player. People can forget this Burgess talk.

I have no idea what our top up players schedules look like, do they train with the club?
I don't know but surely they train with the club at least once a week.
Absolutely he may opt to play for WWT.

Can they play u18 for sanfl club and for the crows?

You have to remember he is a WWT player not an AFC player. Last season I think Burgoyne played 3 matches for the Magpies as an orientation process. I think the power had to pay a fare for this as well.

Does sound like a pretty decent result for all concerned, so probably unlikely.

Brad Crouch comes to mind. Memory is failing me, pretty sure we got access to him early.

He trained at the club for that year, then farmed out to an SANFL club to play some matches. If we had a reserves team he would have played for them.

The distinction between the two is Crouch was allowed to be drafted early. Welsh will not be a contracted AFC player next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. NGA, Father son watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back