Nicest/Rudest Geelong players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Im a Richmond supporter but Joel Selwood was one of the best players i have ever met from any team. Even though i had all my Richmond things on he didnt care and talked to me with interest for about half an hour.

I just have one question, have you ever actually met him? If not, there's no point casting dispersions on people without having contact with them.

Never ASSUME because it makes an (ASS) out of (U) and (ME)...
Is this what you mean by dispersions ???
.Military dispersions: a scattered pattern of hits of bombs dropped under identical conditions or of shots fired from the same gun with the same firing data.

How natural and unaffected was Joel Selwood yesterday! I bet we all felt as though we had met him.

Is this what you mean by dispersions ???
.Military dispersions: a scattered pattern of hits of bombs dropped under identical conditions or of shots fired from the same gun with the same firing data.

How natural and unaffected was Joel Selwood yesterday! I bet we all felt as though we had met him.

Yes basically that is what it means, to scatter one's reputation.

Myself and a couple of others got into the players' function after the Best & Fairest Thursday night. Some thoughts on who we spoke to:

Tom Harley - Absolutely brilliant. I think I spoke to him for over an hour. Ranted would be the better word. I was smashed, but he was still putting up with us, asked us questions and so on. I liked and respected him before that, but even moreso now. Just fantastic.

Kane Tenace - very polite, happy to chat. Seemed nice.

Matty Egan - same as Tenace. Really friendly and easy going.

Cam Mooney - kept to himself to a degree, but I said hello at the bar and he gave me a big grin. I think he just likes his own space, which is fair enough.

Henry Playfair - lent me $20 when I ran out of money (we paid him back!). Good bloke.

Brad Ottens - seems like a big friendly country boy (which he is I guess). Very relaxed. Easy to like.

Overall I thought they were pretty good. I don't begrudge Scarlett or anyone else their right to distance themselves away from official functions, as anyone who was there Thursday night would see they don't get a minute to themselves. I think we need to be a little more patient and understanding.

Heard from some of Tom Harley's old teachers at his school that he was one of the most sincere and genuine kids they'd ever come across. Even heard he was polite enough to take his old English teacher out for dinner one night!

Absolute top bloke, got nothing but respect for him. A true role-model, and one of the best captains going around.

Heard from some of Tom Harley's old teachers at his school that he was one of the most sincere and genuine kids they'd ever come across. Even heard he was polite enough to take his old English teacher out for dinner one night!

Absolute top bloke, got nothing but respect for him. A true role-model, and one of the best captains going around.

Doesn't surprise me, after the conversation I had with him (drunk as I was), you'd follow him on the field without a second's thought. Has a real presence about him.

I like to keep my distance from the players. I deliberately don't acknowledge them if I see them in public. I'm sure they'd prefer to do their shopping and/or pay their bills without 500 people saying g'day or staring.

When I was 11 my little brother burst into my bedroom and screamed "Ablett's next door!" I didn't believe him at first but sure enough there he was, sitting under my neighbour's pergola enjoying a quiet beer. Gary agreed to kick the footy around with us which was fantastic. I even took a speccy over my little brother and shouted "Yablett!" while taking it. Yes, Gary laughed. After 10 minutes he'd had enough and we continuned kicking the footy at our place with his two annoying sons (Gaz and Nath). Gaz walked into our house and helped himself to a few items from the fridge. I recall him saying "Got anything else?" Cheeky bugger. Nath was really young at the time and I can't remember much about him.

I saw Martin Pike at the Eureka about 8 years ago and didn't realise I was staring at him. He gave me the worst look which basically said piss off mate.

Ben Graham is a good bloke as are Dasher and Chappy. They have often stayed back at functions talking and signing stuff for fans. Garry Hocking is one of the friendliest old school players I have met. I think the nicest person I have met from GFC is Brian Cook.
Believe it or not one the best non geelong players I've met is Dermie Brereton.
My ex used to play cricket and footy with him. He is great for a laugh and good with kids but lousy at being married. :D

Explanation????????
Every club do that i have been to matty never seems to have the time of day, i understand that he probaly gets mobed but im talking about sponser only functions also have traveled with the team to Bris and was having a beer with moons when Matty came down stairs he told me to piss off,

the others speak for themselfs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every club do that i have been to matty never seems to have the time of day, i understand that he probaly gets mobed but im talking about sponser only functions also have traveled with the team to Bris and was having a beer with moons when Matty came down stairs he told me to piss off,

the others speak for themselfs.

I have read that Brenton Sanderson believes it's very hard to know where you stand with Scarlett. He has a very unique and reserved personality.

He takes a while to warm to people, and once he does, he kind of sticks by them pretty close. Not a big crowd type of bloke. As an AFL player there's probably a touch of arrogance there too, no doubt.

But again, this is only what I've heard and read.

PS: Did you piss off?

I have read that Brenton Sanderson believes it's very hard to know where you stand with Scarlett. He has a very unique and reserved personality.

He takes a while to warm to people, and once he does, he kind of sticks by them pretty close. Not a big crowd type of bloke. As an AFL player there's probably a touch of arrogance there too, no doubt.

But again, this is only what I've heard and read.

PS: Did you piss off?
nope Moons said that i was ok and matty was just acting like a spoilt kid cracked the shits and went to get some lollies down the road i was shocked, but i dont relly give a shit about his off feild stuff as long as he keeps up the good work on feild, He can be the worlds bigest arseh*le.

Gaz Snr was absolutely sensational, my dad worked with him back when Ron Hovey was the pres and Gary did some work for him (Gaz and Nathan could be a handful when they were young). Every time you went to chat with him he would.

Mick Turner did have a reputation as a prick

My mother-in-law was waiting for a bus in Geelong one day and Billy come up and just started talking to her.

Scariest player = Robbie Muir (St Kilda), saw him out one night in Ballarat and he just had a presence that said don't **** with me. His eyes were scary.

Of the few players I've met all were polite and great to me but it is hard to form an opinion on them as i only had short conversations. Hawk gave me a few tips in the TAB one day and had a few laughs about me being underage and ended up sitting with me and my mates for a while and was genuinely enjoying himself, helped that i knew one of his mates from Grammar though. Also Barry Stoneham bought me and my brother ice creams at the stokehouse when we were little to keep us occupied so he could keep talking to Dad so I'd put him up there as a good bloke.

just from my experience
spoke to timmy callan for a few minutes at the golf a couple of years ago, very friendly and seemed was more than happy to talk to me. was with kent kingsley and didn't say a word - probably pissed that i came up to tim instead of him.

also met barnesy when i was younger, prob about '94 was about 6 or 7 at the time, was at a practice match at skinners reserve in sunshine against the dogs, and after listening to the 1/4 time huddle,
walking back to the fence barnesy was a couple of metres in front of us and my old man said "go on tap barnesy on the arse and say well done" but i was too shy.
but barnesy must've heard and turned around and asked my name, all that type of thing, which he didnt have to do so that was great. after that he was my fav until he went back to ess.

I think this thread has proved one thing - it just depends on the moment. We have read of conflicting experiences with the very same player. I don't really think anybody should draw any conclusions at all from these postings. They more represent people's experiences, not any real personality traits.

Mark Thompson-very nice and willing to give some time to supporters.I was waiting for the team to come off the ground after training and i was looking at Thompson when he came over said hello and signed my guernsey :thumbsu:

Andrew Mackie- (again i met him at training) he was walking off the ground and i yelled out 'Mackie' (not trying to be rude.. but i wanted his signature because he is my fav player) he came over signed my guernsey and says 'cheers, nice work?' and pats me on the shoulder! :D:thumbsu:

Cameron Ling - one of the nicest guys. He was talking to one of his training coaches.. and he stopped talking for a minute, came over, said hello and asked how i was then signed my guernsey :)

David Wojcinski - also a nice guy, came over and said hello and signed my guernsey, he told me to pull my guernsey tighter so it was easier to sign and i was like 'sorry' and he said.. 'nah nah its alright' :thumbsu:

And then later on i saw most of the players walking around skilled stadium with just towels on :cool:

And then later on i saw most of the players walking around skilled stadium with just towels on :cool:
If that is ever seen again taking photos is a MUST.

Btw, Stephen "paper, scissors, rock" Owen and Shannon "facebook" Byrnes are top blokes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicest/Rudest Geelong players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back