Player Watch Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

That goal though…
boromir-gift.gif

That's just his Geelong bias showing.

Talking of bias David King was just unbelievably s**t dribbling wankfest today over north.
2 quarters of pumping Spicer up and he hadn't even touched it.

Kingy is a Know All that Knows not much

Look I love Nick as much as the rest of us but until he builds his contested game this is plainly not true.

He has amazing skill, reads the play extremely well, runs all day and great footy IQ, leadership and composure.

But like all junior players also has weakness that need to be developed to round him out as a player that we hope he can become for us like Buckley or Martin or Petracca or Ablett jnr (person imo is most similar too in style and eventual build/traits/playstyle ).
Sometimes zones off the contested ball instead of putting his head over it, long term I don't think this will remain as he builds size and strength. Also isn't great overhead in the contest.
Much like Buckley in a few years these parts of the game will round him out as a player and become that player to build around.

Fair Enough maybe saying our Best Ball User might been better.

That is also Scary to think of how good he is now but give 3-4 Pre Seasons and Seasons with those Impovments.

Still something always seem to be Good when he Touches the Ball

North board is so salty. “I’m glad we have JHF over daicos” was one comment after todays game… bizarre…. So are we, one played afl and will be a rising star, the other played vfl and will Be off to adel 😃
I’m glad they have JHF too. Running around in their losing reserves side vs being a week-in contender for BOG on a winning side.

That's just his Geelong bias showing.

Talking of bias David King was just unbelievably s**t dribbling wankfest today over north.
2 quarters of pumping Spicer up and he hadn't even touched it.
Mooney is one of the most overatted Footballers in history. The delivery into 50 that turd got from the incredible midfield and he still managed to **** it up most of the time

A flog of the highest order

Look I love Nick as much as the rest of us but until he builds his contested game this is plainly not true.

He has amazing skill, reads the play extremely well, runs all day and great footy IQ, leadership and composure.

But like all junior players also has weakness that need to be developed to round him out as a player that we hope he can become for us like Buckley or Martin or Petracca or Ablett jnr (person imo is most similar too in style and eventual build/traits/playstyle ).
Sometimes zones off the contested ball instead of putting his head over it, long term I don't think this will remain as he builds size and strength. Also isn't great overhead in the contest.
Much like Buckley in a few years these parts of the game will round him out as a player and become that player to build around.

He is our best player atm. No one has been consistently better than Nick this season. It’s not a bad statement either to say good things happen when nicks got the ball or near it.

Not buying into the doesnt put his head over it either. Such a furphy. Pendles copped that earlier in his career also. There’s a reason why certain players seem like they don’t. As they position themselves smarter.

JHF goes the hardball apparently. Where was he today

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The comparison for JHF is to Josh Carmichael now not Nick Daicos. We really need to take JHF out of this thread, it’s embarrassing and also putting unfair pressure on the kid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved that after "that" tackle on Ginni, Nick was not about to let Hugh Greenwood rough him up on the ground. Leader in all sense of the word.

Peter Daicos wasn’t renowned for being a bull

Yet he would win huge possessions in the midfield (injuries potentially robbed him of being regarded as one of the best midfielders of all time)

Like Nick, he often avoided punishing contact by anticipating the ball better than others

Peter Daicos wasn’t renowned for being a bull

Yet he would win huge possessions in the midfield (injuries potentially robbed him of being regarded as one of the best midfielders of all time)

Like Nick, he often avoided punishing contact by anticipating the ball better than others
Words to live by Walter - I watched every second of Peter's career and there wasn't a weak or scared bone in his body - he was just so much superior to the average player that he was three steps ahead of them before he took a step.

The unthinking worship of inside bulls is comical to me - they are great and I love them - but they are only ONE way of dominating.

Yep. You could argue he’s our best ball user, particularly by foot, and has the highest footy IQ at the club bar maybe Pendles. But our best player? He’s not there yet. The good news is that it looks like our coaching staff have been smart about his introduction to AFL. They know his strengths, and they know that throwing such a slightly built young man in to heavy contested situations over and over is not a recipe for success. He has plenty of time now to build up his body so that he can compete as an on baller and attend centre clearances. In the mean time he can rebound, set up plays and create scoring opportunities for his team mates like a mofo.

Why does he need to be a contested ball winning beast? What % of contests does he lose?
Ablett wasn't good overhead.

His role is to receive the ball and put the team in a better, more attacking position to score.

Why does he need to be a contested ball winning beast? What % of contests does he lose?
Ablett wasn't good overhead.

His role is to receive the ball and put the team in a better, more attacking position to score.

I'm an enormous fan of Nick Daicos but his judicious commitment to defensive running I think will always be an issue. His reading of the game sometimes negates it allowing him to intercept or impact, but other times he just kicks the responsibility for it down the the road so it becomes a team mates responsibility.

That's fine. I don't expect every player to be like McCreery but there will always be people who see that and it's all they'll see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back