Senior Nick Haynes

Remove this Banner Ad

Did he lose his back spot at GWS due to lack of continuity with injuries or was he surpassed by others?

Don’t follow GWS closely enough
Behind Sam Taylor, Jack Buckley, Connor Idun

Also have Leek Aleer and Harry Himmelburg.

Wade Derkson who they want to keep and Max Gruzewski in development

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Welcome to the Baggers Nick.

Now, Carlton, please add in a couple of young defenders (1 KP, 1 medium-tall) and his experience will prove invaluable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Instantly becomes our 2nd best tall defender. His defensive work is more reliable than Gov so I’m going to be fascinated what Voss rolls with as his preferred back 6.
At 192cm he is not tall for a KPD. A younger player with plenty of spring and strength in his legs might be able to compensate for this. I doubt NH will be able to do this and play CHB tradional role at 32 yo. But with Weiters Kemp and Gov around him it could work. Or is kemp going to end up in the forward line to play a 3rd tall?

In the interview just posted by the club Austin specifically mentioned Haynes is a replacement for Marchbank
Which interested me a lot because he also hinted that he saw Young as a back-up if he stayed. So not sure who he sees as our starting key position defender next to Weitering for 2025. Unless they are looking to go with the two interceptors next to Weiters again (worked in 23' but not in 24').

Which interested me a lot because he also hinted that he saw Young as a back-up if he stayed. So not sure who he sees as our starting key position defender next to Weitering for 2025. Unless they are looking to go with the two interceptors next to Weiters again (worked in 23' but not in 24').
Part of the reason it didn’t work in ‘24 was the pressure from the forwards, at the back of stoppage from the midfield and the defenders that rolled up to stoppages. Fix those lines up, and the multiple interceptors could work a treat

Part of the reason it didn’t work in ‘24 was the pressure from the forwards, at the back of stoppage from the midfield and the defenders that rolled up to stoppages. Fix those lines up, and the multiple interceptors could work a treat
Yep I agree - have said previously that if you can get delay on the ball in the midfield preventing easy/clean entries i50 then that Weitering + 2 intercepting types structure down back can work. In saying that I would still prefer to keep Young because I don't see Durdin as reliable depth. Plus it gives us the flexibility to play two lockdown types if we ever need.

Yep I agree - have said previously that if you can get delay on the ball in the midfield preventing easy/clean entries i50 then that Weitering + 2 intercepting types structure down back can work. In saying that I would still prefer to keep Young because I don't see Durdin as reliable depth. Plus it gives us the flexibility to play two lockdown types if we ever need.
It sounds like Durdin will only get a contract if Young gets a deal to go elsewhere. If Young stays, then Durdin doesn’t get a contract

It sounds like Durdin will only get a contract if Young gets a deal to go elsewhere. If Young stays, then Durdin doesn’t get a contract
In that case, I'm really hoping Young stays because Durdin's non-availability record is even worse than the other injury-prone players we just let go of for that very reason. I was amazed he was not first out the door. At least Young can get on the park!

At 192cm he is not tall for a KPD. A younger player with plenty of spring and strength in his legs might be able to compensate for this. I doubt NH will be able to do this and play CHB tradional role at 32 yo. But with Weiters Kemp and Gov around him it could work. Or is kemp going to end up in the forward line to play a 3rd tall?

McGovern is 190cm. Marchbank is 193cm. Haynes is the replacement for Marchy but is more reliable than McGovern defensively IMO.

We still need a genuine 2nd tall to play CHB because it’s clear we don’t rate Young. But as it stands, Haynes is our 2nd best tall defender.

Looks like we might be going into 2025 with Weiters and a host of 3rd tall types again (Haynes, Gov, maybe Kemp). I do think Kemp will remain forward though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Senior Nick Haynes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back