Team Captain
Feb 8, 2001
In the cyber woods
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Nightclub "Sherrifs" Ye-Haw

I know most of you will be in disbelief about the tragedy that occured on Monday morning as I am. It's uncomprehensable that one minute a man can be enjoying a drink with friends then less than 30 minutes later his life is taken away on a footpath by a single punch to head.

Although there is definately a need for security in nightspots, I don't argue with that, the problem I have are the consequences - or should I say lack of them - that troubles me. I witnessed a person being ejected from an establishment, (renound for heavy handed security) which was up the road from a certain brown and gold footy team, onto the street - sorry I mean the road - only the person to take a few steps and get hit by a car.

The guy was 'dismissed' but he popped up a few weeks later at a nearby venue. After a few shots of courage I asked him when the court date was for throwing that guy into the street. He laughed and said that "he'll keep throwing pricks like me into the path of cars while it's deemed accidental". This is no ****e, this is the attitude of some of these guys. Almost a sence of law-lessness.

Time to make an example of a few these people then maybe the overall agro might drop in places.

Bouncers

I've just turned 18 and have been stunned by bouncers... and how they are suck **** heads.

But I guess... you give huge blokes, who can't get a real job, who pump drugs, power in a place around women... what do you expect?

Time for some sort of a Royal Commission style thing into the Industry for sure!

Since I turned 18 in November I've seen over 10 blokes get belted, often for stupid things.

i've only ever had one first hand experience with a bouncer, and it was before i was 18. so yes, i shouldn't have been in there, but he took it way to far, including punching me in the head while i was walking out.

but i've seen plenty of times bouncers start fights, or force them to escalate by their involvement. Only once have a seen a bouncer (well there was three of them) actually defuse a situation - which is the ultimate point of them.

Come on people, everyone is automatically saying the bouncer was at fault, maybe he was, but wait for the trial.

Let's face it, sportsmen don't have a good track record, when it comes to going out & getting on the p**s.

Sure there are some bad bouncers, who are just in the business so they can push people around, but there are a lot of decent ones, who put up with a lot of **** from drunken people.

What happened to that cricketer was a terrible tragedy, but I can't believe some of the things that are being posted.

Are you talking about Room, The Hawthorn or The Glenferrie?

Got to agree with you about bouncers though, particularly at the first of those listed venues (alledgedly);)

Originally posted by mantis
Come on people, everyone is automatically saying the bouncer was at fault, maybe he was, but wait for the trial.

Let's face it, sportsmen don't have a good track record, when it comes to going out & getting on the p**s.

well the story is that hooksey walked off and the bouncer went after him and punched him in the head, u know, the amatuer boxer bouncer who knew his punch would do some damage.
i hope he gets flipping caned in court.

as for hooksey, whether he did something wrong or not he didnt deserve to die for it.

i have my security licence but still pretty new to working in clubs. trust me if you knew some of the sh*t that we have to deal with.. theres always two sides to a story.

Not that i agree with what happened, i have no idea why it was instigated, and the bouncer was a pathetic piece of scum. thius is only the tip of the iceberg. one of my other bouncer mates had to testify a couple of months ago after some guy had been killed in a tussle.

sh*t of an industry and i regret getting into it sometimes.

Originally posted by KingZidane
trust me if you knew some of the sh*t that we have to deal with..

oh yer, like what?
and also, you probably bring half that **** on yourselves from being ****ing idoits, which 99% of them are.
no one likes bouncers cos they can act like thugs and get away with it most of the time. oh until someone dies that is :rolleyes:

theyre the plastic police, wannabe cops.

Some bouncers are great blokes, I remember there used to be an indian bloke who had an afro that used to always work at my local pub, and I always had good chats with him. Unfortunately, there are some other bouncers who are total dic*heads!

From my experience the worst bouncer I have seen was at a certain pub in Adelaide. I met two of my friends who were sitting in the outside beer garden, so I went up and started talking to him from on the other side of the chain fence. My clothes werent good enough to get into the venue, so I just innocently talked to them from the side street.

One of the bouncers came up and said I had to leave, so I replied "only the government can make me move from this land". He acted all tough, turned around and said what did you say... blah, like I wasnt allowed to answer this prick back, even with a valid response. I was bigger than him though so he went back and got three of his fellow bounces to come with him. When they arrived, I said something along the lines of "yeah ok, I'll leave". One of my friends stepped over the fence and said "yeah, I'll leave too, there are too many f**kheads at this place for my liking". So the first bouncer graps him and starts wrestling with him and then one of the other bouncers cracks him in the head. I grabbed the bouncer around the neck and tried to get him off my mate and I get a couple of hits to the back for my trouble.

We were so tempted to ring 3 or 4 of the players in our footy team and wipe the floor with these scums, but we soon cooled down and another pub and decided against the idea.

Originally posted by mantis

Sure there are some bad bouncers, who are just in the business so they can push people around, but there are a lot of decent ones, who put up with a lot of **** from drunken people.

What happened to that cricketer was a terrible tragedy, but I can't believe some of the things that are being posted.

Here here Mantis

As bad as this incident was, and they dont get much worse in this place at least, scarier still is the vigilanty attituded displayed on this message board. We have a system in place for determining the facts and the punishment for crimes commited in this country, it may be flawed but its better than the kill the bas#ard mentality most of the posters I have seen are seeking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by evade28
oh yer, like what?
and also, you probably bring half that **** on yourselves from being ****ing idoits, which 99% of them are.
no one likes bouncers cos they can act like thugs and get away with it most of the time. oh until someone dies that is :rolleyes:

theyre the plastic police, wannabe cops.

errrr, what's up your ass?

No one knows the full story, so no one should go and blame the bouncer unless you do.

What did he die from, the blow to the head, or the heart-attack? I was listening to the news when they said that he got hit, then hit his head on the ground, and then he had a heart-attack. So I think there's more to it then most people think.

He was hit from behind, 50 metres from the hotel. The guy who hit him was already on an assault charge and legally shouldn't have been working on security until that had been dealt with anyway. Darren Lehmann was also strangled and thrown to the ground. Say what you like about waiting until the full story comes out, with the amount of witnesses that have verified what I just said, it's hard to take the 'innocent until proven guilty' stance.

Listening to South Australian radio, I was shocked at some of the callers stories about their own altercations with bouncers - one guy's son was brutally bashed to the point where he was taken into hospital unconscious by a bouncer, yet 3 years later and nothing has been done, and the hotel in question denies any knowledge. Another guy rung in, who used to work in security, rung in and said he knew plenty of guys in the profession who were there simply to use their fists. He says there are also plenty who are on steroids - yet bouncers aren't drug tested or anything.

Sure it isn't fair to tar all security with the same brush - Marcuz works part time in security and he is disgusted at what happened, I know a few guys who do it for the right reasons, but it's pretty damn hard to deny that there are serious problems with security. I've had my own problems with bouncers who take the law into their own hands, I've had a mate who had his nose broken for nothing more than asking why security were letting girls in but not guys.

I hope this guy gets the book thrown at him and the worst possible way.

Originally posted by Red_Devil_04
What did he die from, the blow to the head, or the heart-attack? I was listening to the news when they said that he got hit, then hit his head on the ground, and then he had a heart-attack. So I think there's more to it then most people think.

So if i hit someone, but he dies because my punch forces him back off a cliff, I shouldn't be blamed because it was the fall that kills him? The punch is what caused him to fall and hit his head, and then have a heart attack or whatever - more to it or not, it was the king hit that caused anything to happen in the first place. The fact that it was from behind is even worse.

In this particular instant of Hookes, regardless of whether Hookes was causing any trouble, it doesn't warrant what happened to him. I myself have been out enough to see the crap that bouncers take from guys who think they are Lennox Lewis after a few drinks, and from rogue bouncers who pick on people.

Originally posted by superstar
Are you talking about Room, The Hawthorn or The Glenferrie?

Got to agree with you about bouncers though, particularly at the first of those listed venues (alledgedly);)

I've already said to much I think. Don't wanna get nasty letters for not being cryptic enough. *Cough*, Hawthorn *Cough*. I think they changed managment though and sacked the lot of them.

Originally posted by Petrie Dish
So if i hit someone, but he dies because my punch forces him back off a cliff, I shouldn't be blamed because it was the fall that kills him? The punch is what caused him to fall and hit his head, and then have a heart attack or whatever - more to it or not, it was the king hit that caused anything to happen in the first place. The fact that it was from behind is even worse.

I never said anything about him not getting charged. But who knows what honestly happened. More then likely the gaurd was a tossa and deserves to get the book thrown at him. But who are to judge?

He will be charged with manslaughter yes?

i only hope something good can come off hookesy death, in that the security industry in this country, desperately needs an overhaul.

hes not the first, he won't be the last person to die at the hands of an egocentric bouncer.

and the amount of injuries (often fairly serious) that occur at the hands of bouncers, would be absolutely frightening.

is has taken the death of a public figure to make people aware of the problem, which is only natural as people are going to be much more concerned for David Hookes than Joe Blow, but it's not a new thing at all.

it is a joke how easy it is, and a black mark on australian society.

life was far more peaceful before these wannabe cops become a "required" part of pub life. and as far as i'm concerned, that's absolute crap.

pub down the road from me doesn't have bouncers, except when theres matches at the footy stadium or cricket ground, and there is never a fight or anything down there.

anyway, just on bouncers.

and there are good bouncers.

the pub i go to after work on George Street in Sydney CBD (Paddy MacGuires Inn - free plug :p) has the best bouncers in Sydney. The place is a bit of a dive, but gets absolutely packed some nights, but i've never seen any sign of trouble or violence there at all.

If someone is too drunk, they take them out the front and leave them. Even occasionally put them in a cab.

If they get punchy, they simply put them in a hold by pinning their arms to their side so they can't do anything - best thing to do in that situation is to nullify them without looking like your gonna hurt them. I've never seen them throw a punch, or even look like they're going too.

Unfortunately at most places, if your to drunk, they rightfully ask you to leave and even if you do anything slightly out of line on the way out, whack, its on for young and old and if they're so drunk they gotta leave than obviousbly they're too drunk to defend themselves against some roid muncher.

and by slightly out of line, i've seen people told to leave cause they're too smashed, on the way out the see a mate and they've veered off slightly to say goodbye and tell them whats happening or something and before you know it they're up against the wall or being dragged in a headlock out of there.

and its not like most industries where 90% (or more) of the people are good and the rest are ********s.

the security industry is one where 20% of the people are good, and the rest are ********s.

We already know the facts - Hookesy was killed by a king-hit from a steroid-popping gorilla. Surprises no-one that it happened - these power-tripping thugs have been a law unto themselves for years; and it's only news this time because it's a cricketer who got killed.

Originally posted by Bomber Spirit
and it's only news this time because it's a cricketer who got killed.

Hopefully it opens up some eyes that have ignored the problem for years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nightclub "Sherrifis" Ye-Haw

Remove this Banner Ad

Back