News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this make it my "club" board now for AFLW?? So very confusing but i hope you dont mind. I guess we wait for more details when BOTH parties hold a media conference. ATM, they are talking to their local audiences.

You are welcome here. I am sure the mods will create an AFLW specific area eventually.

As a Tasmanian, if there is a "map" on the jumper, I hope it will be small. something like a logo cut out of one of the stripes. I don't really like a "map" like jumper for non-SoO teams, especially one which is still very much linked to a Melbourne based team. Also, if it is small, they can wear the same top in Melbourne and Tasmania.

I don't mind the "look" of the jumper with the kangaroo and island formed into the logo, but yeah, not thrilled about them using the word "tassie" on the jumper.

The thing I want most out of all this is a chance for Tassie girls to play together at home in Tas. That is good enough (for now) and more than we have ever been given. Things like the name or jumper are nice but it will always be.......artificial I guess to one side.

It will give them a great opportunity and I hope it will have more Tasmanian women to go through the academy we have setup. I think they have said they would like to get it to 50/50 split eventually but in the short-term there isn't enough women from Tasmania that will be ready, the team will likely look a bit like the MU/Tasmania hybrid team we used in the pre-season game this year.

This could work because it is a "new" club. A north semi-move to Tas won't as you guys have a proud history and a lot of Tasmanians respect that and know, deep down, it will be a bastardization of 2 "clubs". We don't want a Kangaroos Tasmanian club, we want our own.

I think it will be great, because unlike the women we help to develop through Melbourne University (which combined with Darebin make up about half the competition), we wont get priority access to those women we help to develop in Melbourne. However, I think we will have priority access to the Tasmanian women which gives us greater incentive to focus more on our academy where we would get a direct benefit.

This will be a great opportunity for women in Tasmania who go through our academy to develop together and eventually play together in the AFL.

If it were the AFLW NMFC team then that would be correct.

But it isn't. We just hold the license.

It's both Tasmania's and the NMFC's ALFW team and accordingly compromises have been made to suit both parties.

Having both North and a whole State behind it has much higher potential for growth.

5 times+ at least.

I think there may be a few wearing 2 hats on this one mate.

If North Melbourne 'just hold the license' then it's not a North Melbourne team then. Does that mean North Melbourne supporters should or shouldn't follow it automatically?

What is the 5x growth metric based on? Victoria currently has a population of 5.79 million. Split it evenly 8 ways and that's 720k prospective supporters to contribute to the club and be marketed to. Tasmania has 515k people total with an already existing split between 2 teams, let's make 60% in our favour due to the AFLW factor and that's 309k.

This isn't commentary on the merits of partnering with Tasmania but I'd suggest this does have potential to compromise our (NMFC) identity and also question the validity to the claim the partnership necessarily quintuples our growth factor.

I get it that some people won't like the Tas roo jumper, but it would be only for Tassie home games? Arden St games will be the stripes.
Think forward 5 years, will be entrenched in this comp, while Hakws, * , Swans etc be wishing they were in.
For once we don't get shafted to the end of the line like 2025? or never!
I'm pretty sure we knew it would be like this. much rather in now, than saying 'if only' or 'what if' for the next years.

I like the look of the "away" jumper, I would prefer we used it for all games, just don't like using the slang word for Tasmania.

Instead of having one home and one away jumper, I would have liked to see a smaller font "North Melbourne" and "Tasmania" perhaps one on top of the logo and the other on the bottom. I think the kangaroo/island logo looks good.

While it is a North Melbourne team, I think the women should have kind of a unique look to the jumper, to make it their own and differentiate it clearly from the men's jumper.

These partnerships are successful because we give as well as take.
QFT.

Based on the tweets from the presser, it seems that this is simply a more genuine joint venture than our AFLM arrangement, and Tassie understandably feels entitled to be more included in the team's identity. If they play with more of a North brand here, Tassie brand there, and the official name reflects both, its fine.

I like the look of the "away" jumper, I would prefer we used it for all games, just don't like using the slang word for Tasmania.

Instead of having one home and one away jumper, I would have liked to see a smaller font "North Melbourne" and "Tasmania" perhaps one on top of the logo and the other on the bottom. I think the kangaroo/island logo looks good.

While it is a North Melbourne team, I think the women should have kind of a unique look to the jumper, to make it their own and differentiate it clearly from the men's jumper.

It's is half a North Melbourne side, that much is abundantly clear.

I think there may be a few wearing 2 hats on this one mate.

If North Melbourne 'just hold the license' then it's not a North Melbourne team then. Does that mean North Melbourne supporters should or shouldn't follow it automatically?

What is the 5x growth metric based on? Victoria currently has a population of 5.79 million. Split it evenly 8 ways and that's 720k prospective supporters to contribute to the club and be marketed to. Tasmania has 515k people total with an already existing split between 2 teams, let's make 60% in our favour due to the AFLW factor and that's 309k.

This isn't commentary on the merits of partnering with Tasmania but I'd suggest this does have potential to compromise our (NMFC) identity and also question the validity to the claim the partnership necessarily quintuples our growth factor.

It isn't a North Melbourne/Tasmanian license. It is a North Melbourne licence. It is our team. However, the intent is for the team to be a North Melbourne/Tasmanian team where hopefully in the future, half the players are Tasmanian and developed through our academy in Tasmania.

“TASMANIA” could appear on the AFLW ladder and a jumper if North secures a licence in August according to CEO Carl Dilena.

The club presented its proposal to the AFL on Thursday and said the name “North Melbourne Tassie Kangaroos” was part of the submission, subject to ongoing discussions with the Tasmanian government, along with a host of other significant state specific content."

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2017-07-28/norths-tasmania-aflw-plan

It is a North Melbourne team but it is a partnership with Tasmania, we are going to play half the games there, we are going to develop women players there and hopefully have half of the team from there at some point. The significance of the Tasmanian investment helped to get us into the competition in the second round ahead of other interstate clubs. I think the club was very clever the way it structured it. If we didn't do it this way, West Coast would probably have got the nod ahead of us because it is still very much Victorian dominated atm. This way we also are able to benefit directly from our development of players, the more effort we put into developing Tasmanian players, the more our club/team benefits from it.

It isn't a North Melbourne/Tasmanian license. It is a North Melbourne licence. It is our team. However, the intent is for the team to be a North Melbourne/Tasmanian team where hopefully in the future, half the players are Tasmanian and developed through our academy in Tasmania.

“TASMANIA” could appear on the AFLW ladder and a jumper if North secures a licence in August according to CEO Carl Dilena.

If we didn't do it this way, West Coast would probably have got the nod ahead of us because it is still very much Victorian dominated atm. .

If the club is referred to as Tasmania on the ladder you will expect that in commentary it will be the same.

St. Kilda got the nod for 2020 who's to say we wouldn;t have taken their place with a stand alone bid.

I'd wait a year for a full side.

It's is half a North Melbourne side, that much is abundantly clear.

I am pretty sure the licence is exclusively ours, according to Carl's comments about the bid. There is no Tasmanian team to have a part ownership. Our club has a very honest and upfront intentions when it comes to Tasmania, it wants to have a partnership with it, there are symbiotic benefits doing so.

If at some point Tasmania gets their own AFL licence and we are asked to vacate, we leave with both our mens and womens teams and licences intact.

The reason they allow us the extent of our investment in Tasmania is the realisation that Tasmania wont have their own side in the forseeable future and that is due largely to economical and geographical limitations which aren't projected to get better in the next 50 years.

I am pretty sure the licence is exclusively ours, according to Carl's comments about the bid. There is no Tasmanian team to have a part ownership. Our club has very honest and upfront intentions when it comes to Tasmania, it wants to have a partnership with it, there are symbiotic benefits doing so.

If at some point Tasmania gets their own AFL licence and we are asked to vacate, we leave with both our mens and womens teams and licences intact.

The reason they allow us the extent of our investment in Tasmania is the realisation that Tasmania wont have their own side in the forseeable future and that is due largely to economical and geographical limitations which isn't projected to get better in the next 50 years.

Ultimate holding of the license is irrelevant once the team is being reffered to as the tassie kangaroos and using tasmania on the ladder, having big map of tassie and the word tassie on the guernsey (albeit for half the games). No one is going to say NMFC licence holder the North Melbourne Tassie Kangaroos.

It is truly a 50/50 venture which in itself is fine but I hope the club has a long term plan to prevent another GC situation because this arrangement is at least a turn down that road.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the club is referred to as Tasmania on the ladder you will expect that in commentary it will be the same.

St. Kilda got the nod for 2020 who's to say we wouldn;t have taken their place with a stand alone bid.

I'd wait a year for a full side.

Bingo.

As of 2021 these teams will be in the AFLW:

Western Bulldogs
Melbourne
St Kilda
North Melbourne
Richmond
Collingwood
Carlton
Geelong

Q: Which of these will be referred to in media and commentary by a name that differs to their regular AFL club name?

Q: Which of these will potentially experience any destabilising media (and potential impact on prospective Victorian interest) due to their AFLW identity? Perception is reality.

It's great we are involved in the AFLW league. It's just concerning we're the only 1 of 8 Victorian clubs who had to make the devils deal with regards to the above 2 points to make it happen.

If it's our licence and Tasmania's support and involvement is at sponsorship level only, then very average we're getting details via a government press release and local journalist, and just as average that the club has let it happen.

First response I got from a non North supporting friend on this news "Can't believe you are putting the nail in your own coffin at Arden St"

Relocation/Co-Location of the club has been put back on the agenda. We can sit here and claim it's still North Melbourne but the reality is already being seen as very different by the outside footy world. We have just given a free kick to the media who would love nothing more than to see us relocated.

Assuming that's pointed at me.

They are all legitimate questions, thinking that we should be wary and prepared long term is hardly crying about it.
Yep. Outrage about the "outrage". :rolleyes: Honestly folks, it's hardly beyond the pale to suggest some wariness AND, at least in my case (I won't speak for others) ALSO be happy we've got the license.

The naming is an important issue in my view, for reasons you've outlined Le Grille, and I remain 'alert'. No crying. No hysteria. No diminishing of what has been accomplished.

For what it's worth, I like the design of the Tassie jumper. I think it looks elegant and reflects our club's colours well. I can see it being important for the Tasmanian market, but the official (and unofficial) name needs to retain NM in it for mine.

Gee, we are a bunch of nervous nellies after ‘07, aren’t we? (Understandably so I must add)

Hopefully, as funky Carl said, we’ll be the NM Tassie Kangaroos. If a partnership with Tassie helps us develop and fund an AFLW team, then so be it. It’ll be good for the growth of our club in the long run.

Personally I’m rapt to have a women’s team to follow now and I’m sure my daughter will be once she’s old enough (and hopefully not stupid enough to follow Carlton like her dad).

Bingo.

As of 2021 these teams will be in the AFLW:

Western Bulldogs
Melbourne
St Kilda
North Melbourne
Richmond
Collingwood
Carlton
Geelong

Q: Which of these will be referred to in media and commentary by a name that differs to their regular AFL club name?

Q: Which of these will potentially experience any destabilising media (and potential impact on prospective Victorian interest) due to their AFLW identity? Perception is reality.

It's great we are involved in the AFLW league. It's just concerning we're the only 1 of 8 Victorian clubs who had to make the devils deal with regards to the above 2 points to make it happen.
Trick question. It's Western Bulldogs who gave up their name almost altogether.

I think it’s even more disappointing that we are getting more info from a muckraking Tassie journalist than we have from the club, AFL and the Tas govt.

I certainly don’t blame anyone for being miffed, appears now neither the club or the AFL had the grapefruits to give complete details, and the Tas govt have undermined us a tad by jumping the gun. Lends itself to the theory that this is a Tasmanian AFLW Team first not NMFC.

Bungled announcement that’s kind of left me flat too now.

We have a men’s team competing under that NMFC name with blue and white stripes in Tasmania. Not sure why that can’t be replicated.

I accept that despite all our hardworking with MU that the Tasmania link has got us in for 2019. While a 50/50 split of games I can live with, the branding is where we have conceded more than is acceptable.

The whole North Melbourne Tassie Kangaroos Kangaroos just sends a mixed message to both sides. Amateur stuff by all.
The reason the club hadn't made a statement is because all the bits and pieces haven't been finalised. We will hear from them once everything is sorted. Not a fan of the tas govt making the announcement, while they're a partner they shouldn't see themselves as the ones to do this kind of stuff.

Brilliant guernseys, love both of them. The Tassie one will mean the world to those girls growing up in Tasmania and they will want nothing more to represent our club and their state.

Anyone who questions the way we go about it needs to remember that our club has always been innovative and has no choice to continue that. We cannot compete with the big clubs because the AFL is not a level playing field.
We will never have 90k supporters in one stadium like the tuggers and one day when we have 70k members the others will have 150k.

This is another way our club doesn't just survive but excels while other clubs languish. Good on everyone at North for getting this over the line because you just know that it would have been the easy call to give "family club" ( whatever the hell that means) Hawthorn a side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back