No.1 ruck

Remove this Banner Ad

I say Spider because:

Wins high percentage of ruck contests.
If Porter is first ruck, Spider might lose the plot and he wont be a productive back up.
Earnt the spot last year, and should at least start the season there.
Has had a great preseason by all reports and will have more desire with stiffer oppistion than last year.
Porter has only played 55 games and is only 25 years old.
Porter should be eased into his first year as a roo and then take over next year or later in the year.

Just my personal opinion and i still think i can be persuaded the other way on this.

Cheers

Gotta disagree blueworms

Porter came to us so he could be a number 1 ruckman for a club, he was always in Allen's shadow and when Allen didn't play Porter really showed what a gun he is

Spider is 31, at this age I don't think he would mind being the back up ruckman, he will struggle to run out an entire game in the ruck and lets be serious, Spider can not play anywhere else on the ground

I hope Porter plays every game starting in the ruck and Spider and Petrie get swapped around as our back up ruckman, Petrie can be used to gain some more experiance and Spider can be the old master

agree with some things youve said there but he's at a new club now and theres a fair chance he'll be below his best for the start of the season, while spider will probably be at his peak of his career with the extra competitiveness. If he doesnt do too well, then bring Porter in. And yes Spider can only really play 1 possie, but Porters the same.

Cheers

Originally posted by blueworms
theres a fair chance he'll be below his best for the start of the season

I don't have foxtel :( but from the Collingwood game, and the reports on the match against Hawthorn, I reckon he is ripe for the biggest year of his career.

Porter first ruck hands down for mine.

Originally posted by McCartney5
Gotta disagree blueworms

Porter ... was always in Allen's shadow ... really showed what a gun he is

I hope Porter plays every game starting in the ruck...

Is that because you have 'his' Murray Kangaroos guernsey?
:eek: ;)

I agree with Porter, after seeing his ruck work in the square last week and then watching burst thru packs and flying for marks I think he's going to be the recruit of the year.
A few blues supporters i know were bleeding they lost him, they rated him better then matthew allan because of his toughness and versatility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Porter seems to have the goods but its still great to have Spider coming off the bench to attack from a different angle.

It's almost immaterial who is 1 and 2. The ruck is perhaps the single biggest reason that we have reason to be optimistic about our chances this year.

I remember reading on another thread that when Spider got tired or went to the bench, we lost momentum. I agree. Corey was a useful forward, but couldn't ruck for peanuts.

This year we have have two quality ruckmen and Petrie is not far away if needed. Throw Stevo back into the mix with the development of the younger guys and our midfield has gone from boiled lollies to chocolates.

Originally posted by Dingster
Throw Stevo back into the mix with the development of the younger guys and our midfield has gone from boiled lollies to chocolates.

In a year or so with Baird, Junior and Crowe in the backline we'll become a "running machine".

1-2 Punch

Originally posted by Shinboners
Depends on who the opposing ruckman is.
Porter would be first choice against someone like Matthew Primus where there is bound to be body on body contact whilst against someone like Jeff White, I'd put Burton in and use his height to counteract White's leap.

well said 'Boners. If Petrie can work on becoming a goalkicking forward it would be a HUGE advantage for North with Digby coming back soon, the places in the team will leave very little for becoming incomplacent.

Rightio im turned PORTER FOR NUMBER 1 RUCK!!!

i do still think Spider should be used more than everone else thinks

Remove this Banner Ad

No.1 ruck

Remove this Banner Ad

Back