Analysis No DH Policy

Remove this Banner Ad

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
In light of the AFL players already getting caught up in the off season (Crouch & Stengel with illicit substances, Bennell getting carried away in an ambo, Watts crashing a car and not reporting it), who are the DH’s/party boys still on our list that need to pull make sure they’re not caught this off season?

We’ve been pretty mindful of selecting players with good character recently and we’ve moved on Bennell and Billy last season, Carter and Dardy this season. Hogan, Hamling, Ryan and Cox to me seem to be the only ones who might get caught something they shouldn’t.

So, who (if any) do you think would get caught in the off season doing something they shouldn’t? We’ve seems to weed out most of the mischief makers.

In light of the AFL players already getting caught up in the off season (Crouch & Stengel with illicit substances, Bennell getting carried away in an ambo, Watts crashing a car and not reporting it), who are the DH’s/party boys still on our list that need to pull make sure they’re not caught this off season?

We’ve been pretty mindful of selecting players with good character recently and we’ve moved on Bennell and Billy last season, Carter and Dardy this season. Hogan, Hamling, Ryan and Cox to me seem to be the only ones who might get caught something they shouldn’t.

So, who (if any) do you think would get caught in the off season doing something they shouldn’t? We’ve seems to weed out most of the mischief makers.
The media will be looking for any excuse to publish another Jesse Hogan scandal. And the bin chicken supporters down the road will be all too pleased to supply the evidence if he slips up. He is the only one I'm currently worried about.

Hamling should not be on that list

With 100% conviction I am willing to bet there has never, in over 100 years, been an AFL.VFL premiership winning team that did not contain at least one DH. The idea that any club seriously has it as a policy is the biggest load of PR crap going around. Quaint aspiration - maybe. Policy - never.

A couple of off field incidents for Hogan aren’t ideal but clubs don’t give a damn about guys like Ryan, Cox, Duman, Wilson, Crowley, Schammer etc who apparently loved a party but never got themselves in trouble.

I personally think this aligns to most of us in our jobs tbh. If your performance at work is rubbish due to your activities the night before or you get yourself a criminal record you’re in trouble with your boss, otherwise your employer doesn’t give two ****s.

I think we’ve got to grow up as sports fans and realise that these are young men who will live their lives outside of footy. From the outside even it’s obvious that some of the guys I’ve listed above were/are highly respected and popular amongst the players at the club. It’s okay not to be perfect - in fact no one is.

With 100% conviction I am willing to bet there has never, in over 100 years, been an AFL.VFL premiership winning team that did not contain at least one DH. The idea that any club seriously has it as a policy is the biggest load of PR crap going around. Quaint aspiration - maybe. Policy - never.
95% of players seem like pretty descent people, supporters on the other hand, not so much.(Not us though, we’re terrific)

I’m not saying we don’t have any and most of the time their charismatic go lucky ways brings something to the team, I was just wondering who we thought if there was a player, who they thought would get caught up.

RE: Hamling, not as clean cut as he’s perceived, especially while he spent some time away from the club.

Every club is going to have players who love getting on the piss or partying hard every weekend, there's just no avoiding that, they're mostly in their 20s so I don't care if they have a bit of fun, so long as they put 100% effort on the field every week.

Oh there's a policy, but it only applies to non-required players. Nobody is getting rid of star players.

It’s the weirdos (Jack Anthony) and stalkers (Colin Sylvia) we don’t want.

Personally I think if you’re going to pick on the druggos then you need to pick on the drinkers the same way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of off field incidents for Hogan aren’t ideal but clubs don’t give a damn about guys like Ryan, Cox, Duman, Wilson, Crowley, Schammer etc who apparently loved a party but never got themselves in trouble.

I personally think this aligns to most of us in our jobs tbh. If your performance at work is rubbish due to your activities the night before or you get yourself a criminal record you’re in trouble with your boss, otherwise your employer doesn’t give two ****s.

I think we’ve got to grow up as sports fans and realise that these are young men who will live their lives outside of footy. From the outside even it’s obvious that some of the guys I’ve listed above were/are highly respected and popular amongst the players at the club. It’s okay not to be perfect - in fact no one is.
Takes all types. There is no doubt the football industry is working towards a clean, sponsor/image friendly environment.

so is he going to blame this one on the old man or bollocks?

so many chances, so so many chances, he continually does stupid shit that brings down his and the club's perception.

Peter Bell would be livid with this sort of bloke.

I mean, its a pretty stupid ****ing rule personally.

Am I correct in understanding that players live in family's dont have to go under quarantine but those in home quarantine cant have any visitors?

Yes its ANOTHER thing for Hogan, but its a complete nothingburger as far as I'm concerned

I mean, its a pretty stupid ******* rule personally.

Am I correct in understanding that players live in family's dont have to go under quarantine but those in home quarantine cant have any visitors?

Yes its ANOTHER thing for Hogan, but its a complete nothingburger as far as I'm concerned
The problem is he would know the media will make it a big issue and then suddenly it is one for the club. It's what happens when you get a little baggage behind you.

If this was Hughes nobody bats an eyelid, they just do a statement, he serves his time and everyone moves on. With Jesse, you know this is going to blow up.

I mean, its a pretty stupid ******* rule personally.

The rule might be dumb but it still exists and I doubt Hogan gets the "making a grand statement about Covid restrictions being too strict" excuse.

It’s a stupid policy. Club probably roll the eyes at this one. At least Jesse was honest.
Aren’t the players allowed to stay at their homes, with families anyway? Hardly much difference.

so is he going to blame this one on the old man or bollocks?

so many chances, so so many chances, he continually does stupid sh*t that brings down his and the club's perception.

Peter Bell would be livid with this sort of bloke.
What chances? What has he possibly done. He hardly committed anything this time. The media will blow this up. But I’m sure Hogan is remorseful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back