Non-AFL chat thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

And if Simmons doesn’t win ROY they may as well can the whole award. Forget the box score. Watch the God damn game and he’s the best rookie by some distance.

Harden should have won the MVP last year, and got rolled by the same stat-focussed media. Annoys the shit out of me.
Mitchell is pretty good. Agree that Simmons wins it but don’t think the gap is that big.

And if Simmons doesn’t win ROY they may as well can the whole award. Forget the box score. Watch the God damn game and he’s the best rookie by some distance.

Harden should have won the MVP last year, and got rolled by the same stat-focussed media. Annoys the shit out of me.

Simmons wins the stat sheet argument, Mitchell wins the dominating more recently argument and the ‘Simmons isn’t a rookie because he was injured last year, blah blah blah’ argument. Either could win, both deserve to win. Simmons would have my vote.

I'm going to be spending 12 weeks in Vancouver during the middle of the football season, however there's no need to despair as I'll still make time to post my incredible football insight here. As this will be my first time in this part of the world, Im looking for views as to what I might do with myself (be kind) during this time should you have spent time there. Feel free to include experiences across the Pacific Northwest as I'll be travelling about a bit.

I'm going to be spending 12 weeks in Vancouver during the middle of the football season, however there's no need to despair as I'll still make time to post my incredible football insight here. As this will be my first time in this part of the world, Im looking for views as to what I might do with myself (be kind) during this time should you have spent time there. Feel free to include experiences across the Pacific Northwest as I'll be travelling about a bit.
You won't have trouble finding things to do in Vancouver. It's absolutely amazing. Adored my time there and have wanted to go back since the second I got home. Gorgeous city.

12 weeks is a long time, I would assume this is for work then and sight seeing would be mostly on weekends?

I would have said get to a Canucks game but probably season over for them by the time you're there. One of my fave experiences there.

Kitsalano Beach is pretty fun in summer
Stanely Park
Gastown - plus some of the other neighbourhoods that have interesting character that I've forgotten the names of right now. Watch out around downtown/Hastings street (From memory, I think) at night, crack head central.
Definitely go to Vancouver Island. Victoria is pretty cool for a visit but the other areas of the island are really good (surfing in Tolfino if you're into that)
If you like mountain biking, get up to Whistler. Some of the best trails in the world. Or just to visit some epic mountains. I think they even open up Blackcomb glacier at some point during summer for skiing/boarding if you're into that too. Worth going up to Whistler to drive the sea-to-sky highway anyway.
Banff/Lake Louise worth visiting if you have enough time for the drive.
Seattle is a pretty interesting city to visit. You can get a ferry across from Van if you're that way inclined.
Also get used to the smell of pot. It's everywhere.

Great part of the world.

12 weeks is a long time, I would assume this is for work then and sight seeing would be mostly on weekends?

I would have said get to a Canucks game but probably season over for them by the time you're there. One of my fave experiences there.

Kitsalano Beach is pretty fun in summer
Stanely Park
Gastown - plus some of the other neighbourhoods that have interesting character that I've forgotten the names of right now. Watch out around downtown/Hastings street (From memory, I think) at night, crack head central.
Definitely go to Vancouver Island. Victoria is pretty cool for a visit but the other areas of the island are really good (surfing in Tolfino if you're into that)
If you like mountain biking, get up to Whistler. Some of the best trails in the world. Or just to visit some epic mountains. I think they even open up Blackcomb glacier at some point during summer for skiing/boarding if you're into that too. Worth going up to Whistler to drive the sea-to-sky highway anyway.
Banff/Lake Louise worth visiting if you have enough time for the drive.
Seattle is a pretty interesting city to visit. You can get a ferry across from Van if you're that way inclined.
Also get used to the smell of pot. It's everywhere.

Great part of the world.

Thanks for taking the time. Im just taking some time out to travel (doing 3 weeks on the East coast in between) and catch up with friends who live in Coquitlam, so I will have all the time in the world. Definitely want to do lots of hiking and outdoorsy activities, so Banff in particular, Seattle and Portland are definitely high on the list of things to do. If you've ever read one of my posts, you will understand that being around pot is not an issue.

I know I'm biased. But calls to ban so called dangerous breed dogs are quite possibly the most knee jerk, ludicrous and stupid thing I've seen this week.
Leave Rottweilers alone you overreacting wowsers. Poor Link loves children, in the space of a couple of days he's gone from being patted by several on every walk to being shunned with most crossing the road.

Thanks for taking the time. Im just taking some time out to travel (doing 3 weeks on the East coast in between) and catch up with friends who live in Coquitlam, so I will have all the time in the world. Definitely want to do lots of hiking and outdoorsy activities, so Banff in particular, Seattle and Portland are definitely high on the list of things to do. If you've ever read one of my posts, you will understand that being around pot is not an issue.
No worries at all mate.
Oh, that's awesome you've got that amount of time! Helps with the outdoorsy type activities (of which you'll want to do a lot of considering where you'll be) as they're usually a decent time commitment when traveling.
Portland is probably close to my favourite US city (not that I've traveled the US that extensively or anything). I'm not usually a huge fan of massive cities so I found Portland to be a size that's more to my liking. Excellent place for foodies. Lots of top notch restaurants at affordable prices. Just has a nice vibe with so much greenage (is that a word?) in the city too. Trees everywhere.

I lived in the pacific northwest for a while and have family in coastal BC, so to reiterate and add to some of the things fpcookie suggested:

- Vancouver is one of my favourite cities in the world. There's always a lot going on but it has a very relaxed vibe, and stunningly beautiful surrounds. In general I have a preference for nature over cities, but I'd live there in an instant (assuming a suitably high-paying job to be able to afford it---housing is not cheap). Part of the appeal for me is the easily accessible green spaces, such as Stanley Park right downtown, and Pacific Spirit regional park just by the UBC campus. If you're a runner, the path along the seawall is great too.
- Vancouver Island also has some really beautiful spots, though the terrain isn't quite as amazing as some of the mountain ranges on the mainland. If you want mild, sunny weather, Victoria is your spot in the summer: It's in the rain shadow of the Olympic mountains, so it barely rains at all there for the entire summer; though at the same time, it's never super hot (20--25 degrees is pretty average). There is a local "mountain" called PKOLS (a.k.a. Mt Douglas) which is a pretty easy climb through mixed forest and offers great views over Victoria, up the Saanich inlet, across to the coast mountains on the mainland, and south to the Olympic mountains and Mt Baker in Washington. The drive from the east coast cities (e.g., Victoria, Nanaimo) to Tofino and Ucluelet is gorgeous, and if you do it I'd highly recommend stopping at Cathedral grove to witness some mind-bogglingly large trees (if you've ever been in European pine forests, imagine that but with everything about three times as big). There are plenty of good walking trails in Pacific Rim national park, and if you're a keen hiker you can take the (multi-day) West Coast trail all the way from Ucluelet to Port Renfrew, at the south end of the west coast of the island. Also, the surfing in Tofino is awesome (and the beaches have a seamless transition from surf, to sand, to rainforest).
- From Victoria, one can take a ferry to Port Angeles in Washington, and from there Olympic national park is a short drive. I've only been there briefly, but from what I remember it was beautiful. I think they filmed the Twilight movies somewhere on the Olympic peninsula too, so if you're a twelve-year-old girl that might be appealing also.
- Inland, the rockies are beautiful too; it's a lot drier there so they lack the really incredible trees that grow on the coast, but to make up for it there are glacial lakes, massive peaks, and tons of cool wildlife. I never got to Banff, but did spend some time in Jasper, which is a neat little town (with a ton of Australians on working holidays in the cafés etc.). The "tramway" in Jasper takes you to a reasonable altitude, and if you walk up a bit from the top station you can get great views out over seemingly endless mountains. You can take the train to Jasper (or Banff) from Vancouver. If you do that, I'd recommend getting a berth if you can afford it, because otherwise it's a long time to spend in a chair. Via Rail often has sales and special deals on, so keep an eye on their website if that appeals to you.
- I've heard the Sunshine coast (on the mainland, north of Vancouver) is beautiful, but I'm only going there for the first time in May, so can't give a first-hand account.
- On the less pleasant side, being some of the few places in Canada where a person can sleep outside in the winter and not immediately die, both Vancouver and Victoria have large homeless populations and a lot of the problems that go with that (e.g., drug abuse, prostitution, begging, street crime). In Vancouver, East Hastings is renowned for being a sketchy area; and in downtown Victoria at night there are tons of people sleeping in doorways etc. This was a real eye-opener for me when I first went there.

Anyway, that sour note aside, it's a really spectacular part of the world, particularly if you like "outdoors" activities. Hope you enjoy your time there!

I lived in the pacific northwest for a while and have family in coastal BC, so to reiterate and add to some of the things fpcookie suggested:

- Vancouver is one of my favourite cities in the world. There's always a lot going on but it has a very relaxed vibe, and stunningly beautiful surrounds. In general I have a preference for nature over cities, but I'd live there in an instant (assuming a suitably high-paying job to be able to afford it---housing is not cheap). Part of the appeal for me is the easily accessible green spaces, such as Stanley Park right downtown, and Pacific Spirit regional park just by the UBC campus. If you're a runner, the path along the seawall is great too.
- Vancouver Island also has some really beautiful spots, though the terrain isn't quite as amazing as some of the mountain ranges on the mainland. If you want mild, sunny weather, Victoria is your spot in the summer: It's in the rain shadow of the Olympic mountains, so it barely rains at all there for the entire summer; though at the same time, it's never super hot (20--25 degrees is pretty average). There is a local "mountain" called PKOLS (a.k.a. Mt Douglas) which is a pretty easy climb through mixed forest and offers great views over Victoria, up the Saanich inlet, across to the coast mountains on the mainland, and south to the Olympic mountains and Mt Baker in Washington. The drive from the east coast cities (e.g., Victoria, Nanaimo) to Tofino and Ucluelet is gorgeous, and if you do it I'd highly recommend stopping at Cathedral grove to witness some mind-bogglingly large trees (if you've ever been in European pine forests, imagine that but with everything about three times as big). There are plenty of good walking trails in Pacific Rim national park, and if you're a keen hiker you can take the (multi-day) West Coast trail all the way from Ucluelet to Port Renfrew, at the south end of the west coast of the island. Also, the surfing in Tofino is awesome (and the beaches have a seamless transition from surf, to sand, to rainforest).
- From Victoria, one can take a ferry to Port Angeles in Washington, and from there Olympic national park is a short drive. I've only been there briefly, but from what I remember it was beautiful. I think they filmed the Twilight movies somewhere on the Olympic peninsula too, so if you're a twelve-year-old girl that might be appealing also.
- Inland, the rockies are beautiful too; it's a lot drier there so they lack the really incredible trees that grow on the coast, but to make up for it there are glacial lakes, massive peaks, and tons of cool wildlife. I never got to Banff, but did spend some time in Jasper, which is a neat little town (with a ton of Australians on working holidays in the cafés etc.). The "tramway" in Jasper takes you to a reasonable altitude, and if you walk up a bit from the top station you can get great views out over seemingly endless mountains. You can take the train to Jasper (or Banff) from Vancouver. If you do that, I'd recommend getting a berth if you can afford it, because otherwise it's a long time to spend in a chair. Via Rail often has sales and special deals on, so keep an eye on their website if that appeals to you.
- I've heard the Sunshine coast (on the mainland, north of Vancouver) is beautiful, but I'm only going there for the first time in May, so can't give a first-hand account.
- On the less pleasant side, being some of the few places in Canada where a person can sleep outside in the winter and not immediately die, both Vancouver and Victoria have large homeless populations and a lot of the problems that go with that (e.g., drug abuse, prostitution, begging, street crime). In Vancouver, East Hastings is renowned for being a sketchy area; and in downtown Victoria at night there are tons of people sleeping in doorways etc. This was a real eye-opener for me when I first went there.

Anyway, that sour note aside, it's a really spectacular part of the world, particularly if you like "outdoors" activities. Hope you enjoy your time there!

Thanks so much for taking the time to give me you thoughts.

I can't help much because I too will be making my first trip to that area in August. My wife and I have been on a quest for the last few years to visit as many US national parks as we can. So far we've managed to get to half of the 48 that are in the continental US. We will be flying into Seattle on the 11th, visiting 6 more parks located in Washington, Oregon and northern California and flying home on the 25th. We were hoping to squeeze in another week off to get to Banff but alas, the Canadian Rockies will have to wait till next year. Anyway, the point is, if you are in the area at that time perhaps we can get together for a cold brew and annoy my wife by talking footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vancouver is the best city in the world. Myself and the now wife fell in love with Van when we first went, nothing in particular other than it just felt awesome. It was the vibe really, a bit of Mabo, but mostly the vibe. Perhaps being in Perth makes everything else seem better, but can’t beat the feeling of being in a beautiful & modern city yet 15-20 minutes later be out somewhere in nature with maybe nobody else around you.

We applied & got our working holiday visas a couple of years ago, but never made the move as it was a lot to give up with her job (and pay grade) to go & work for minimum wage or close to it, even though it would have been an amazing time. One day, I want to make it happen to move there or in the vicinity of it anyway.

Banff is another amazing place, I’ve been there in summer (ending of it) & winter but I have to say I preferred the warmer time as the lakes aren’t frozen. Awesome for hiking, cycling, kayaking etc, which I’d prefer over snowboarding/skiing. Planning to go to Canada again in around August next year.

I can't help much because I too will be making my first trip to that area in August. My wife and I have been on a quest for the last few years to visit as many US national parks as we can. So far we've managed to get to half of the 48 that are in the continental US. We will be flying into Seattle on the 11th, visiting 6 more parks located in Washington, Oregon and northern California and flying home on the 25th. We were hoping to squeeze in another week off to get to Banff but alas, the Canadian Rockies will have to wait till next year. Anyway, the point is, if you are in the area at that time perhaps we can get together for a cold brew and annoy my wife by talking footy.

Cheers, it would've been cool to annoy somebody else as I prattle on about footy!. The only concrete plans that I have at this stage for Seattle is to be there for the weekend of the 21/22 July. I'll be on the East Coast for the first couple of weeks of August.

Vancouver is the best city in the world. Myself and the now wife fell in love with Van when we first went, nothing in particular other than it just felt awesome. It was the vibe really, a bit of Mabo, but mostly the vibe. Perhaps being in Perth makes everything else seem better, but can’t beat the feeling of being in a beautiful & modern city yet 15-20 minutes later be out somewhere in nature with maybe nobody else around you.

We applied & got our working holiday visas a couple of years ago, but never made the move as it was a lot to give up with her job (and pay grade) to go & work for minimum wage or close to it, even though it would have been an amazing time. One day, I want to make it happen to move there or in the vicinity of it anyway.

Banff is another amazing place, I’ve been there in summer (ending of it) & winter but I have to say I preferred the warmer time as the lakes aren’t frozen. Awesome for hiking, cycling, kayaking etc, which I’d prefer over snowboarding/skiing. Planning to go to Canada again in around August next year.

My friends have been there a couple of years now and cant speak highly enough about their experiences. Having a clear view all the way back to the U.S boarder from your back porch will have that effect on you.

Anyone else who likes sneakers think the NMDs from a couple seasons ago were pretty good for bulldogs fans in a lowkey way? Plus the gortex ones are super comfy. Probably in my top 3 shoes.

A

3466c93175ec48b03f06ca0fd51ebe7d.jpg

adidas-NMD-CS2-PK-22Core-Black22-1.jpg
\

Last edited:
Anyone else who likes sneakers lowkey think the NMDs from a couple seasons ago were pretty good for bulldogs fans in a lowkey way? Plus the gortex ones are super comfy. Probably in my top 3 shoes.

A

\
Love my sneakers. Not sure about the bottom ones.

Hello doggies.

Something mildly/not interesting.

This guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Clark_(Australian_footballer)

Is my uncle. I knew he played but was staggered to find any record of it. The story goes he didn't really get along with Ted Whitten because he didn't like getting on the piss. This led to him being ostracised from most of the playing group and after that he never got picked for the seniors.

Went on to support Geelong :/

Anyone else who likes sneakers lowkey think the NMDs from a couple seasons ago were pretty good for bulldogs fans in a lowkey way? Plus the gortex ones are super comfy. Probably in my top 3 shoes.

A

\

Where could one pick up the middle pair jdz? I've been out of the sneaker game for a while. From what I could see Culture Kings, Foot Locker and Hype all don't have them

Love my sneakers. Not sure about the bottom ones.
They're the ones I have. The gore tex material look you either love or hate but they're the lightest and most comfy sneakers in my collection for sure.

Where could one pick up the middle pair jdz? I've been out of the sneaker game for a while. From what I could see Culture Kings, Foot Locker and Hype all don't have them
Yeah I get a lot of my adidas from 'end clothing' in the UK but as I said they're two seasons old. Adidas have well and truly moved on to other colour-ways now :(

Other than paying a dickload of money for a re-sell or getting a pair of fakes made, not sure how easy they're gonna be to find.

They're NMD 3 stripe OG primeknits by the way if you wanna try google.

Hello doggies.

Something mildly/not interesting.

This guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Clark_(Australian_footballer)

Is my uncle. I knew he played but was staggered to find any record of it. The story goes he didn't really get along with Ted Whitten because he didn't like getting on the piss. This led to him being ostracised from most of the playing group and after that he never got picked for the seniors.

Went on to support Geelong :/
He wouldn't have been the only player to have not appreciated Ted Whitten. Alpha males who assume leadership positions often foster cultures where you are either one of the leader's crew, or if not, you feel like an outsider. Ted Whitten was not everyone's cup of tea but he is, after all, "Mr Football" and a legend of our club...and rightfully so.

Poor Bancroft can't catch a break. The kid is grinding away, it annoys me how many are cheering for his failure.

Surely Renshaw is in line to come back in soon. Good cricket from the Proteas though, after what they offered up last test. Get Smith cheaply here and they should be chasing under 150 in fourth innings.

I also don't understand the uproar on Rabada's 'send-off' to Warner. Nothing physical and simply just showing intensity imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Non-AFL chat thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back