Non-AFL chat thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ange Postecoglou officially got the job at Tottenham!

Absolutely massive news for Australia, really hope it’s a success for him. He has an amazing story.

I do not trust their chairman or board one bit, so could easily be a quick exit. Hopefully he gets backed and gets a decent crack.

Last edited:

Intelligence whistleblower claims US has retrieved craft of ‘non-human origin’​

A former intelligence official turned whistleblower has gone public with a stunning claim about the US government UFO program.

Rebecca Borg
Follow

@rebeccaaborg

5 min read
June 7, 2023 - 6:12AM

It's 99 years today since Mallory and Irvine made their push for the summit of Everest.
Did they make it? No one still knows definitively. Mallory's body was discovered in 1999, having obviously fallen. Another team member - Odell - saw them near the top. The photo of his wife that Mallory always said he'd leave at the top was not on his body, yet other perishable artefacts had been preserved.

Hopefully Irvine's body will turn up to provide at least a partial explanation, if not a full solution.

Will we summit in 2023? Hopefully we're more Hillary and Tenzing than Mallory and Irvine.

(Still a great mystery though, and one that has fascinated me for more than 50 years!)

Bevo, Bont and their team of climbers, Sherpas and pack mules need to focus on the prize. And then descend safely.... to ascend again.

images (66).jpeg

No. Hillary was the first just like Richard Pearce flew before the Wright bros. All from the birth place of Phar Lap and pavlova;)
Hillary - and Tenzing! - were the first to both ascend AND descend successfully. There's a whole argument about whether reaching the summit - or reaching the summit AND living to tell the tale constitutes conquering Everest.

I like to think Mallory and Irvine died/fell/slipped on the way back, particularly as it seems Mallory had removed his goggles due to it getting dark as they descended because they were delayed getting to the tip and it was then too late to be descending safely.

Anyway there was a Kiwi who flew before the Wright's- Sam Neill and Peter Jackson proved it!

It's 99 years today since Mallory and Irvine made their push for the summit of Everest.
Did they make it? No one still knows definitively. Mallory's body was discovered in 1999, having obviously fallen. Another team member - Odell - saw them near the top. The photo of his wife that Mallory always said he'd leave at the top was not on his body, yet other perishable artefacts had been preserved.

Hopefully Irvine's body will turn up to provide at least a partial explanation, if not a full solution.

Will we summit in 2023? Hopefully we're more Hillary and Tenzing than Mallory and Irvine.

(Still a great mystery though, and one that has fascinated me for more than 50 years!)

Bevo, Bont and their team of climbers, Sherpas and pack mules need to focus on the prize. And then descend safely.... to ascend again.

View attachment 1707142
Amazingly primitive mountaineering gear they were wearing. Or was that just for the press conference?

On a similar theme I was always a bit mystified why Burke and Wills reached the Gulf of Carpentaria but only looked at it from the coastal ridge/dunes and didn't actually go down to the water's edge and wet their feet in it. Maybe I'm a bit OCD but in my book that's not quite going the whole way. Of course like Mallory and Irvine they didn't make it back either, although King did. One reason suggestd was the presence of mangroves which were difficult to penetrate. Another might have been the possibility of lurking crocs.

The whole thing is a bit Euro-centric anyway because indigenous people had undoubtedly traversed the vast inland for millennia. Whether any single one of them travelled from the south coast to the north coast in one expedition or even in one lifetime is a question we'll probably never have an answer to.

Amazingly primitive mountaineering gear they were wearing. Or was that just for the press conference?

On a similar theme I was always a bit mystified why Burke and Wills reached the Gulf of Carpentaria but only looked at it from the coastal ridge/dunes and didn't actually go down to the water's edge and wet their feet in it. Maybe I'm a bit OCD but in my book that's not quite going the whole way. Of course like Mallory and Irvine they didn't make it back either, although King did. One reason suggestd was the presence of mangroves which were difficult to penetrate. Another might have been the possibility of lurking crocs.

The whole thing is a bit Euro-centric anyway because indigenous people had undoubtedly traversed the vast inland for millennia. Whether any single one of them travelled from the south coast to the north coast in one expedition or even in one lifetime is a question we'll probably never have an answer to.

Yes, B&W just as interesting as M&I.

I suspect the Sherpas for those early Everest attempts thought the fair skinned guys were nuts, but probably compensated better than indigenous 'guides' used by European explorers in Australia.

I've been to B&W's northern-most camp - 119 between Normanton and Karumba. I did it with family in tow, in a 4wd with air con, Engel, etc.
The sheer folly (or foolhardy bravery... or obstinate stupidity - probably all of those) of what B&W attempted (and nearly achieved) is mind-boggling standing at the actual site. No experience of tropics, no main roads or even distinguishable tracks, a planning and logistical disaster.

But as you say, indigenous travellers would have waltzed through some/all of it because they knew the country, and how to not just survive but live in it for millennia.

The arrogance of the Europeans to always assume the locals knew nothing mainly based on the colour of their skin, and non-western lifestyle. And so often ended in tragedy because of those assumptions.

Thank goodness governments and departments these days listen to our local indigenous people so we're prepared for bushfire seasons by burning off in a controlled and regul.....oops!

The gear in the photo is legit what they used. Some of that gear was still being used 30 years ago.

I will be taking my son up a big mountain in the next few weeks. He loves big mountains and this one will be his highest. The equipment you need is so different to what I had with dad 30 years ago. The stuff these days are so light and warm. So much safety equipment and communication gear that was unheard of when I learnt with dad.

The gear in the photo is legit what they used. Some of that gear was still being used 30 years ago.

I will be taking my son up a big mountain in the next few weeks. He loves big mountains and this one will be his highest. The equipment you need is so different to what I had with dad 30 years ago. The stuff these days are so light and warm. So much safety equipment and communication gear that was unheard of when I learnt with dad.
Yes, beats me why Mallory couldn't have just texted his wife to say "I made it to the top, honey!" or posted a selfie of him and Irvine on Insta.

Good luck on your own expedition, LittleG. I share his love of mountains ... as long as they aren't totally covered in snow and ice like the Himalayas.
Look forward to seeing your summit pics!

Yes, beats me why Mallory couldn't have just texted his wife to say "I made it to the top, honey!" or posted a selfie of him and Irvine on Insta.

Good luck on your own expedition, LittleG. I share his love of mountains ... as long as they aren't totally covered in snow and ice like the Himalayas.
Look forward to seeing your summit pics!

We were in Himalayas last April. Next year we will do island peak, IF my son is allowed. Kilimanjaro this time. 6,200 is a big mountain. I will put it up on YouTube like last trip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, B&W just as interesting as M&I.

I suspect the Sherpas for those early Everest attempts thought the fair skinned guys were nuts, but probably compensated better than indigenous 'guides' used by European explorers in Australia.

I've been to B&W's northern-most camp - 119 between Normanton and Karumba. I did it with family in tow, in a 4wd with air con, Engel, etc.
The sheer folly (or foolhardy bravery... or obstinate stupidity - probably all of those) of what B&W attempted (and nearly achieved) is mind-boggling standing at the actual site. No experience of tropics, no main roads or even distinguishable tracks, a planning and logistical disaster.

But as you say, indigenous travellers would have waltzed through some/all of it because they knew the country, and how to not just survive but live in it for millennia.

The arrogance of the Europeans to always assume the locals knew nothing mainly based on the colour of their skin, and non-western lifestyle. And so often ended in tragedy because of those assumptions.

Thank goodness governments and departments these days listen to our local indigenous people so we're prepared for bushfire seasons by burning off in a controlled and regul.....oops!
If only Scott had thought to ask the locals directions.

Interestingly, one of Scott's officers on that expedition was Ernest Shackleton, who had the good fortune to be sent home early for health reasons. He returned several rears later on an ill-fated attempt of a trans-antartic crossing via the pole.

One of the more amazing survival stories, escapes and rescue missions you'll ever read about. Their ironically named boat, Endurance, sank in front of them when crushed by pack ice and the whole crew were stranded. Cue 5 or 6 of them to basically get in a dinghy and sail 700 miles through wild and mountainous antartic ocean to raise the alarm on (Sth Georgia?) island. Landed on the wrong side of the island so had to then scale mountains to cross to the (barely) inhabited part (whaling station).

They didn't lose a single man, either those that remained on Antartica eating their dogs, or those that made the voyage in a dinghy to find rescue.

Not sure of the best place to put this but anyway here's an encouraging development.

The Guardian worldwide (mainly UK and Australia) is not going to accept any more ads for gambling. They are to be congratulated - putting their money where their conscience is.

While on the one hand gambling companies are finding new outlets (eg Tiktok) and sports gambling is taking off in the USA, there is a shift in sentiment the other way in Australia. The Overton Window is moving and media bans may soon be palatable. Dutton (as in his budget reply speech) and Albanese can hopefully be counted on to unite for once and make gambling ads illegal in Australia, on radio and TV at least, but preferably everywhere - hoardings, newspapers, cinemas and so on.

The social harm is too great. As always it's the common people who are most vulnerable to the rapacious behaviour of the gambling and advertising industries.

Not sure of the best place to put this but anyway here's an encouraging development.

The Guardian worldwide (mainly UK and Australia) is not going to accept any more ads for gambling. They are to be congratulated - putting their money where their conscience is.

While on the one hand gambling companies are finding new outlets (eg Tiktok) and sports gambling is taking off in the USA, there is a shift in sentiment the other way in Australia. The Overton Window is moving and media bans may soon be palatable. Dutton (as in his budget reply speech) and Albanese can hopefully be counted on to unite for once and make gambling ads illegal in Australia, on radio and TV at least, but preferably everywhere - hoardings, newspapers, cinemas and so on.

The social harm is too great. As always it's the common people who are most vulnerable to the rapacious behaviour of the gambling and advertising industries.

Thanks dogwatch, was going to post the same after hearing it on ABC Melbourne this morning, then slipped my mind!

Lenore Taylor, editor of The Guardian Australia (and former long-standing Fairfax I think?) was speaking to Ali Moore (thankfully covering for Trioli). She wouldn't answer the question about what percentage of income they were foregoing with this decision, but confirmed at least twice that the amount was well into the millions in Australia. Hopefully gets more traction, and this insidious practice disappears completely.

Well, at least until the next desperate grab for sponsorship dollars from a grubby industry presents itself to sporting bodies - then we get to watch the cycle all over again. :(

Another super cricket test has just finished. This time it was the solitary women's test Australia vs England. Like the men's test the eventual winner was still not clear until close to the end. It surprised me how watchable and competitive it was, having watched some of the televised women's test cricket a few years ago. (I'm not a women's OR men's big bash watcher BTW ... it's such a yawn)

What it demonstrates is that if you pump enough money, coaching and development into women's sport it can transition very quickly from the sort of stuff you'd expect to see at the local park on a weekend into a game of high skill and watchability. The same thing has happened in AFLW and (I think) NRLW. All of them are now well worthy of national TV coverage, along with some of the earlier pioneer sports like women's basketball, hockey and netball.

The upward trajectory of AFLW has been similarly steep. It's so very different to the fare we were watching in the first year or two of national competition.

Was just watching Sports on Ch 7 and lo and behold one of my former students, Enver Jusufovic, was on. He's a trainer and owns a stable in Cranbourne. One of his horses, Pinstriped, is running in the Cox Plate. I know nothing about horse racing, so I had no idea he was involved.

An article about him mentions that he's a Saints supporter. Now THAT I remember. In 1978 when the Bulldogs beat the Saints at the Western Oval by 107 points and Templeton kicked 15 goals, he was one of my students who invited me to meet them at the trots at Moonee Valley that same night, if I recall correctly. All I really remember is that they told me to bet on Sunray and I won $20! That started my usual Saturday appearance there when they were on until I moved to Box Hill the next January.

Gamble responsibly.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was just watching Sports on Ch 7 and lo and behold one of my former students, Enver Jusufovic, was on. He's a trainer and owns a stable in Cranbourne. One of his horses, Pinstriped, is running in the Cox Plate. I know nothing about horse racing, so I had no idea he was involved.

An article about him mentions that he's a Saints supporter. Now THAT I remember. In 1978 when the Bulldogs beat the Saints at the Western Oval by 107 points and Templeton kicked 15 goals, he was one of my students who invited me to meet them at the trots at Moonee Valley that same night, if I recall correctly. All I really remember is that they told me to bet on Sunray and I won $20! That started my usual Saturday appearance there when they were on until I moved to Box Hill the next January.

Gamble responsibly.

And he lives in Footscray?

His family lived in Avondale Heights when he was in high school. He always had a grin on his face. Nice kid, but wasn't prone to school work. That group of kids were my favourite group in my 25 years of teaching.

Pinstriped came in 11th place out of 12. Maybe next year...

You did say gamble responsibly……not sure how I’m going to explain to my wife that Chicago said it was a sure thing because he taught the trainer and now we don’t have a house….

You did say gamble responsibly……not sure how I’m going to explain to my wife that Chicago said it was a sure thing because he taught the trainer and now we don’t have a house….
I never said it was a sure thing! It's not like me going to a game for the first time in five years and seeing us lose to West Coast. I also had my money on Hillary.

I never said it was a sure thing! It's not like me going to a game for the first time in five years and seeing us lose to West Coast. I also had my money on Hillary.

Can you put some money on a Joe / Albo double?

Remove this Banner Ad

Non-AFL chat thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back