Non-AFL chat thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Result flattered England, like it did all tournament.

Also how good was Alcaraz mopping the floor with Djokovic, had a goooooooooooooood night of watching sport.

Derry has very strong links to the other side of Spanish politics. This is Barcelona country, not Madrid.

"Viva la quinta brigade, the passion and the pledge thst made them fight."

As for understanding dictatorships, that's a weird comment if you know anything at all about this city. An English guy on Facebook said "we're still living rent free inside your head." An Irishman shot back "we paid the rent for 800 years!"

I was pretty neutral , I have a lot of English friends and can't help supporting the underdog. But the atmosphere in the bar when Spain scored was amazing. I suppose it would be like when your least favourite AFL team got beaten in a grand final, but they were by guilty by association for the deaths of your friends & relatives. Derry is a small city.

On reflection I'm glad Spain won as the English press would have been insufferable.

You'd be very welcome to try out your Irish jokes at the Bogside pubs, let me know when you can visit.
I don't go along with the organised facile hatred of bog Irish for anything English. Paul Keating a classic in point.

I grew up in Leeds and we had plenty of Irish folk who got along with us Yorkies.

I was working in London in 1982 when those IRA cowards blew up the horsemen on Horse Guards Parade and the Bandsmen in Regents Park. Two of my colleagues were covered in parts of bodies while watching a lunchtime concert.

A young lad from County Armagh I worked with in 1969 told me that the Troubles were just an opportunity for gangsters, the political battle was a good cover for those cowards.

Spare me the history lessons, please. One of my ancestors is a Catholic martyr, explains why our family flipped to the Protestant side.

I don't go along with the organised facile hatred of bog Irish for anything English. Paul Keating a classic in point.

I grew up in Leeds and we had plenty of Irish folk who got along with us Yorkies.

I was working in London in 1982 when those IRA cowards blew up the horsemen on Horse Guards Parade and the Bandsmen in Regents Park. Two of my colleagues were covered in parts of bodies while watching a lunchtime concert.

A young lad from County Armagh I worked with in 1969 told me that the Troubles were just an opportunity for gangsters, the political battle was a good cover for those cowards.

Spare me the history lessons, please. One of my ancestors is a Catholic martyr, explains why our family flipped to the Protestant side.
Are you using 'bog Irish' as a derogatory term there? I recall my grandfather referring to someone as that back in the 70s. I thought it was a pretty nasty thing to say, akin to racism.

Paul Keating's family were Australian - though he had Irish ancestors, all of his grandparents were born in Australia. So don't see why he would be a good example of whatever you are suggesting there.

I don't know if people in a pub cheering against England are really haters. I imagine it could be similar if a pub full of Dogs supporters were watching GWS v whoever in a grand final.

Hopefully the way forward for these neighbours is to focus on how they can make things better in future rather than the horrors of the past.

Are you using 'bog Irish' as a derogatory term there? I recall my grandfather referring to someone as that back in the 70s. I thought it was a pretty nasty thing to say, akin to racism.

Paul Keating's family were Australian - though he had Irish ancestors, all of his grandparents were born in Australia. So don't see why he would be a good example of whatever you are suggesting there.

I don't know if people in a pub cheering against England are really haters. I imagine it could be similar if a pub full of Dogs supporters were watching GWS v whoever in a grand final.

Hopefully the way forward for these neighbours is to focus on how they can make things better in future rather than the horrors of the past.
People of low-class Irish ancestry . Is the meaning. Similar to my family who were low-class English.

Three generations earlier we were tenant farmers, not landed gentry. However, one of our relatives had two streets named after him in the area of Leeds that I grew up in. He was a kind man. The family tree is deep and full of childhood deaths because cholera killed lots of infants. My grandson is the 16th to carry the same christian name.

My grandfather fought at Gallipolli and my Dad was at D-Day. For all their efforts, as they say in Yorkshire, "they got nowt'".

When Keating was pushing the Republic back in 1992, I heard a woman at a fairly posh garden party call Keating bog Irish. We called them bog trotters in Leeds.

Anyone can switch to Vaudeville.

Hi everyone, just reaching out to see if anyone wants to join me over on the Sweet FA fantasy football league.

I play for the Gumbies FFC, premiers in the season before last. Reaching out as my club skipper has mentioned that the Bulldogs are the least represented club in the league.

More info there, how much time you put into it is entirely up to you - not really an obligation to do anything other than sign up, but you’ll get the occasional tag for notices, team announcements etc that might prompt you to get involved.

Banter - this is pretty much what it’s all about, but I know it’s not for everyone. Season 38 begins next Sunday - this is the case for most games, pretty rarely there will be a midweek/night game. Games usually start around 4pm EST I’m pretty sure, this gets notified and confirmed on the day.

More info can be found on the forum, as you can see there are lots of other things you can get involved in. I pretty much only post in the match threads or team chat (there is a forum thread along with a season PM), and that’s perfectly fine.

If anyone wants to give it a try, please let me know or even post in the team thread above saying you’re interested and looking for more info or something like that, and the captain Falconista will be able to help out and get you signed up

Happy Lets Go GIF by kabillion

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to donate the Kelvin Templeton jumper in which he kicked 15 goals to the club but wasn’t sure how to go about it
Any ideas anyone?

Sure, I might give the club a ring to
I’m not old enough to have seen Templeton play but he was my fathers favourite player
I think the email address is heritage at westernbulldogs.com.au, just by googling around

I know some people have bagged Cooney after he moved to Tullamarine, then in the media, but my daughter and wife watching the Celebrity Doghouse, featuring the Cooney family.

The back story of his now wife already having a daughter with cerebral palsy at 19yo when she met him as a 16yo, and him taking on that responsibility as a teenage step dad, then adding more kids, and how it kept him grounded during his footy career, is an interesting context on the things you don't appreciate some players are facing off field.

His esky lid surfing escapade was probably the worst thing he ever got up to off field, and the constant rumours he would flee back to an SA club at the first opportunity were ungrounded, until his mutual departure in the end of 2014 fall out.
Seems a great family man, and a strong bond to his disabled step daughter, so wish him all the best on that front.
Plus he'll always be a Bulldog Brownlow medallist and 200 gamer. 🙂🔴⚪🔵

Remove this Banner Ad

Non-AFL chat thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back