Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it controversial to say the Matildas are the most hyped national sporting side for a team that was won nothing.

Missing Sam Kerr is a big loss but there 2 performances in Paris have been abysmal. Now i wasn't expecting a Gold Medal but the performances so far like letting Zambia put in 5 goals is a deadset disgrace really.

I found it interesting Charlotte Caslick the Aussie rugby 7s captain took a swipe at them before the games began saying it would be nice if they got more support considering they have won Gold medals and are a fair chance again while the Matildas would be lucky to get out of the group it seems there is tension around the women's sporting circle with the Matildas.

Is it Jealousy.

When comparing the Matildas to the Aussie Women's cricket team who have won everything like T20 World Cups, ODI World Cups, Comm Games Gold Medals, Ashes series 3 or 4 times over and had the likes of Meg Lanning, Alyssa Healy, Ellyse Perry dominate for a decade.

They are still the number 1 women's sporting team in the country for mine.
You have to respect them for their achievements but absolutely they are. Pretty sure the hype is driven by Soccer itself to promote the game & get more kids playing it. Our local club in our town jumped all over it & ran it on Facebook constantly trying to get kids over from AFL.
The problem was they are such a poorly run organisation any kids who went over have since come back because it’s run by older English blokes who didn’t know how to deal with youth.

Last edited:
Jess Fox was considered by those in the know to be the greatest paddler ever (literally, worldwide, either sex) even before this Olympics. As a bonus, she’s also apparently a top chick; I have a relative who has competed for Australia in slalom canoeing so is in that crowd.

Watching her face before her finals run, she is not someone I would get in the way of at all. In anything.

Is it controversial to say the Matildas are the most hyped national sporting side for a team that was won nothing.

Missing Sam Kerr is a big loss but there 2 performances in Paris have been abysmal. Now i wasn't expecting a Gold Medal but the performances so far like letting Zambia put in 5 goals is a deadset disgrace really.

I found it interesting Charlotte Caslick the Aussie rugby 7s captain took a swipe at them before the games began saying it would be nice if they got more support considering they have won Gold medals and are a fair chance again while the Matildas would be lucky to get out of the group it seems there is tension around the women's sporting circle with the Matildas.

Is it Jealousy.

When comparing the Matildas to the Aussie Women's cricket team who have won everything like T20 World Cups, ODI World Cups, Comm Games Gold Medals, Ashes series 3 or 4 times over and had the likes of Meg Lanning, Alyssa Healy, Ellyse Perry dominate for a decade.

They are still the number 1 women's sporting team in the country for mine.
Sounds terrible to say but don't care too much about the Matilda's really. Sam Kerr was never shy about having a dig at Fremantle never winning anything. Perhaps they're just a bit more likeable now.

Sounds terrible to say but don't care too much about the Matilda's really. Sam Kerr was never shy about having a dig at Fremantle never winning anything. Perhaps they're just a bit more likeable now.
I can't get into any form of soccer, but I did enjoy watching the females in the hockey last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those who don’t know a lot of rugby… Aus chicks just got screwed by the ref. Same bloke who kept Ireland in it during the pool matches; thought the chicks were in trouble when I saw him running out. Missed clear Canada offside on their first try and then inexplicably penalised Aus twice in defence.

Mass strike at the most important time for the company... Potentially business crippling.
Channel 9 are really struggling with it.

I get the fact they'd want to funnel people into paying streams/Stan, but there are still some basics they're failing to cover as a supposedly FTA broadcaster.

Even just a medal recap (with related highlights) hourly would be the minimum.

The majority of what they are running is just banal magazine-style fluff or repetitive pandering.

I get the fact they'd want to funnel people into paying streams/Stan, but there are still some basics they're failing to cover as a supposedly FTA broadcaster.

The majority of what they are running is just banal magazine-style fluff or repetitive pandering.

The magazine fluff stuff is due to misunderstanding their audience compared with social channels. They seem to have decided to cut the basics, but critical information in favour of the fluff. All hat and no cattle.

Bad times at 9.

I thought the 9now App was pretty good.

You get to pick what you want to watch, lots replays, not many adds.

I thought the 9now App was pretty good.

You get to pick what you want to watch, lots replays, not many adds.
I'm a bit stuck with adding anything from Ch9 at this stage. My overriding feel is too refuse to reward their incompetence of basic Olympics coverage.

It's astonishing they've come up with what they have given the amount of money they would've paid to fend of the other contenders.

I'm a bit stuck with adding anything from Ch9 at this stage. My overriding feel is too refuse to reward their incompetence of basic Olympics coverage.

It's astonishing they've come up with what they have given the amount of money they would've paid to fend of the other contenders.
It’s fairly simple, no? Put different sports on every channel. Use someone else’s feed if you need.

Having the same thing on every channel suggests that not only did they not plan what to do with their coverage, they perhaps haven’t watched the Olympics before. Which is mind blowing. Why would you bother paying for it?

Mind you, predictable given how badly they cover every sport except cricket. I mean, their league coverage is pretty awful and they’ve been doing it for ages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back