Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Any body language experts in here?

1000000044-png.2043705

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dishing up crap’: Great’s desperate Simpson plea as ‘short-priced’ replacement revealed​

Ah OK I got it wrong I thought wrongly it was Reid not Sumich.

Sumich has been knocking the Eagles for years because he got passed over, same with his time with the WAFL U18 squad.

It's a pity you guys are so set on somebody with WA connections, cause I think Kenny is getable, you do love the long tenure, but are prelims OK as a bench mark?

Ken is a good coach who has likely reached the end of his potential at Port, much like Simpson at WCE. Happily however, the Port players love their Dad and all the key staff are very happy with him, so it wouldn’t be nice to take him away from where he is doing his best work ☺️

What is Sumich doing now?

Peter has sadly become a full time media agitator. He has had an axe to grind with the club since missing out on the job to Simpson. He reportedly quit his column at the West Australian earlier this year as he wanted to write an article critiquing Harley Reid’s body shape etc. and even they thought that was going too far.

Adam Simpson has done a magnificent job of tanking when the club needed to rebuild. Didn't just try and make the eight every year, he sent the team down hard and picked up elite talents at the draft as a result.

He will be directly responsible for giving West Coast their next generation midfield

The media will never acknowledge this of course but it was a brilliant parting gift from Simpson and West Coast will be reaping the rewards in 5-8 years

I suspect West Coast know though. The timing and severity of West Coast's fall when they weren't going to contend is certainty suspicious. But they kept him on to be the fall guy rather than sacking him for an astronomical payout in the hopes of a quick fix. Grabbed another top 4 draft pick on his way out.

At 1st they didn't originally intend to go shit... just like we didn't & then they claimed they were really rebuilding to cover arse.

I get the tanking talk, but honestly, there was no legitimate way they (the club) prepared to collapse in the way it did. Things fell apart in the back end of 2021. The club made a claim to start “rebuilding” at 2021 but then they still believed that finals were possible going into 2022. The injury crisis put paid to that. Simpson has said that even last year, there was a hope that 2022 was a once-off, hence keeping Shuey, Hurn, Naitanui on the list… for another go at making finals but after further injuries etc, the realisation hit that it is well and truly rebuild time. The full commitment to a rebuild has not long started and arguably won’t until the new coach commences. The team Adam has been picking has been pretty disturbing honestly, his closeness to the older group and continual faith in them has been part of his undoing.

He says "you have to stay" right?

Think so :)

Dishing up crap’: Great’s desperate Simpson plea as ‘short-priced’ replacement revealed​

Yes that is one of Peter’s recent “efforts”. I was too young to see his best years of the early 90’s but it is sad to see a club great become so embittered. He does have a good football mind and can coach mind you… but honestly from a WCE fan perspective, a lot of what he says is written off as rambling junk.

I get the tanking talk, but honestly, there was no legitimate way they (the club) prepared to collapse in the way it did. Things fell apart in the back end of 2021. The club made a claim to start “rebuilding” at 2021 but then they still believed that finals were possible going into 2022. The injury crisis put paid to that. Simpson has said that even last year, there was a hope that 2022 was a once-off, hence keeping Shuey, Hurn, Naitanui on the list… for another go at making finals but after further injuries etc, the realisation hit that it is well and truly rebuild time. The full commitment to a rebuild has not long started and arguably won’t until the new coach commences. The team Adam has been picking has been pretty disturbing honestly, his closeness to the older group and continual faith in them has been part of his undoing.

No club is actually able to admit they are tanking in the media though. They have to say they are aiming for wins and even finals, when there's no genuine expectation of that.

All the decisions the club has made (long injury layoffs, playing cooked seniors for far too long) is what a team would do that's not actually interested in winning. It's not like you kept a whole bunch of young players in the WAFL either, it just so happens most of them are now exposed to AFL football. Reid and Ginbey have played tons of midfield first up, unlike our blokes here at the Crows.

It's the perfect tank and West Coast had the perfect cover for it. You've benefitted at the draft taking three midfielders inside the first 15 picks, soon to be four with a second top 4 pick. Trialled a few developing talls, found some role players and you actually have some experienced key position players still.

If you actually wanted to improve quickly and believed you had the list, you would have sacked Simpson ages ago and worn the payout cost as the richest club in the land

Remove this Banner Ad

Back