Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Who will win a final first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be interested to see what happens if a superstar from Carlton or another big Vic club does something similar in the first or second week of the finals. Precedent has clearly been set but can almost guarantee it will be ignored come September
Lol “precedent”
The guiding principle of the AFL is that they will do what they want, according to their whims and preoccupations and the noise in any given moment

Agree with Heeney

Cameron ehh it does look forceful but I think the issue is the head to head clash
Cameron seems to come unstuck that he forced him to the ground. You can sort of see the call that it was unreasonable, I have seen tackles like that where the tackler just holds the player rather than pushing down.

But it's easy to say with slow motion.

Season over 6 weeks

St Kilda youngster Lance Collard has been handed a season-ending ban of six weeks for the homophobic comments he made to multiple opponents against Williamstown in the VFL over the weekend.
His suspension comes on the back of the AFL handing Gold Coast defender Wil Powell a five-match ban for his own homophobic comments earlier in the year.
As first reported by Channel 9’s Tom Morris, the suspension is the longest of the three instances of players using homophobic language in 2024.

Three matches for that?!!

The AFL have lost the plot.

The tribunal is supposed to be there for unsportsmanship acts, like hits behind play. Not for rubbing players out because of unlucky contact in a contact sport.

And they can say the rules are the rules, but it’s bullshit. Of course, unless you’re Patrick Dangerfield and those rules don’t apply.

The AFL will do anything protect the head and punish anyone that happens to accidentally tarnish their image, but refuse to actually spend money on what’s needed. Independent doctors? Nah let the clubs worry about it even when proven they can’t be relied on. Perfect tackle and player accidentally hits their head? BANNED!

Surely there is a way the AFL and the other sporting bodies can get a legal based view on what is expected of a contact sport in protecting against the sporting body being sued for concussion.

This current period where we are doing things almost waiting on a legal battle is not sustainable.

Last edited:
I can’t believe what they are doing to our game, tackle someone fairly, they get hurt by accident and you cop 3 weeks, are players not supposed to tackle any more?

Then you can run past someone off the ball, clip them in the head, they don’t get hurt and it’s a lesser offence?

They’ve gone ****ing mad

Are you referring to

IMG_0851.jpeg

Its all starting to make sense now...

“I can tell you tonight the AFL umpires haven’t completed a skills session together in several years.

“When some AFL umpires have been sent out to community leagues in recent weeks and months and been asked to run skill sessions, it has dawned on them they don’t know what to do because they no longer do that at the elite level.

“They’re not (practising decision making), they’re getting their video feedback and doing their own individualised running, but not training together as a group or doing skills sessions at all.”

“I can tell you tonight the AFL umpires haven’t completed a skills session together in several years.

“When some AFL umpires have been sent out to community leagues in recent weeks and months and been asked to run skill sessions, it has dawned on them they don’t know what to do because they no longer do that at the elite level.

“They’re not (practising decision making), they’re getting their video feedback and doing their own individualised running, but not training together as a group or doing skills sessions at all.”

The AFL is such a tinpot league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No wonder they've been utter shit for years

Embarassing and unprofessional

Yet the CEO falsely claims the umpiring has never been better.

Delusional!

We’ve got a bunch of overpaid clowns running the game as per their own personal interests (bonuses/pay packet) ahead of the players and fans.
This has been the case for well over a decade now, probably a couple of decades. This is just the next incarnation of the soap opera that is the AFL

The umpires, like the players, live in different states around Australia. I'm not surprised that they don't all train together, and that's fair enough.

However, there's no reason why the Victorian umpires shouldn't have joint training sessions together, SA umpires training together, etc. They could/should be working on their skills in these training sessions.

My father used to be a boundary umpire in the NTFL. I know that he used to attend umpire training on a weekly basis at Marrara. I don't see any reason why the AFL umpires shouldn't be doing the same thing.

On SM-X205 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Very interesting when certain drafts come around that all of a sudden rumours start popping out about Port players who are on trade watch...

Like, why would Houston be on trade watch? He has 3 years left on his contract...

It feels less Agent driven and more Port themselves dangling carrots out there to see how they can get into a super draft, and for me it's always been Twomey that somehow gets the first mail. I feel like he does get used by clubs sometimes as a bit of conduit to get intentions out there..

Animation Design GIF by JDL Creative

The decision making is a huge problem - and made worse by having so many umpires on the field. Umpires used to be, in a sense, leaders on field. The game ran to their interpretation, the ebb and flow of the game was in their control and under their purview and it required a strength of personality to "hold it all together".

Compare that to nowadays. 4 umpires who may or may not be technically correct come the AFL statement on Monday, but in the moment (when a tough decision might need to be made), will look at each other, overthink it, and lose control of the moment. They're missing their mojo. By way of example: the newfound obsession with player dissent is a desperate and fruitless attempt by neutered officials to claw back some of the gumption they've lost. A real umpire, in control of the game, wouldn't need to pay free kicks against players for swearing.

The umpires, like the players, live in different states around Australia. I'm not surprised that they don't all train together, and that's fair enough.

However, there's no reason why the Victorian umpires shouldn't have joint training sessions together, SA umpires training together, etc. They could/should be working on their skills in these training sessions.

My father used to be a boundary umpire in the NTFL. I know that he used to attend umpire training on a weekly basis at Marrara. I don't see any reason why the AFL umpires shouldn't be doing the same thing.

On SM-X205 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aren’t most of the umpires from Victoria any rate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Back