Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Who will win a final first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lol - port are pushing him out for the draft capital. I bet its a completely different Port if clubs asked about Butters for a couple of 1st rounders and they would be saying he is not for trade. Houston is expendable..that is as simple as it an be said.

Lol - port are pushing him out for the draft capital. I bet its a completely different Port if clubs asked about Butters for a couple of 1st rounders and they would be saying he is not for trade. Houston is expendable..that is as simple as it an be said.
Smart list management imo. It's worked for them in the past and I'd say it would work for them here. Don't know how it would make current players feel knowing they're always potentially on the chopping block

Good summation. Naturally elite talent but apparently one of the more introverted or non-team oriented players off field I have ever heard about. From refusing to share rooms when travelling to sitting by himself and gaming whilst the rest of the team caught up for social activities etc when on the road

Another one Power did well to hide away getting him to tell GWS he wouldnt hang around if they picked him - so they didnt - with their initial generous draft concessions (despite him being a top 5 talent). Added to JHF situation and the initial 4 players (from memory Lade and Peter Burgoyne were 2 of the 4) Port Power encouraged to not register for the AFL draft before they came in. Its the Port Power sneaky way - perhaps we should be doing more of it..
I recall Wingard telling media that he doesn't even like or watch footy or footy media when he's not playing. Each to their own I guess.

Smart list management imo. It's worked for them in the past and I'd say it would work for them here. Don't know how it would make current players feel knowing they're always potentially on the chopping block
I know its early days but having now seen Dyson Sharpe live, i get the hype and if we needed to offer up a player for trade next year to pair with our 1st which is reaistically a top 10 pick to be in a position to draft him, i would be seriously considering it. The only players to me that are completely off the table for a trade option are Thilthorpe, Curtin, Michalanney, Rankine and Fogarty.

How is it smart list management? It's not netting them a top 5 pick or two first rounders. He's their best play maker off HB, an AA the past two seasons and is in their top 5 players. Comfortably has 4-5 seasons left at a high to decent level. This is nothing like the Wingard situation where they traded him after his form declined rapidly post 2015.

These are also not the type of players to trade out when you're contending for a flag and already have an elite midfield trio.

How is it smart list management? It's not netting them a top 5 pick or two first rounders. He's their best play maker off HB, an AA the past two seasons and is in their top 5 players. Comfortably has 4-5 seasons left at a high to decent level. This is nothing like the Wingard situation where they traded him after his form declined rapidly post 2015.

These are also not the type of players to trade out when you're contending for a flag and already have an elite midfield trio.
They potentially get back into the first round of this draft and next

They replace Houston with Perryman &/or Cumming

Seems like a reasonable scenario to me

They could also potentially use a first round pick (say next years) to satisfy GC in a trade for Lukosius who could slot into their forward line (Marshall is looking shaky from concussion injuries, Dixon is pretty much cooked, Lord still developing)

They potentially get back into the first round of this draft and next

They replace Houston with Perryman &/or Cumming

Seems like a reasonable scenario to me

They could also potentially use a first round pick (say next years) to satisfy GC in a trade for Lukosius who could slot into their forward line (Marshall is looking shaky from concussion injuries, Dixon is pretty much cooked, Lord still developing)
They are not getting two first round picks for Houston, no club is offering that. His worth to Port is far higher than to any other club in a trade situation. It also doesn't help a team in a premiership window.

Perryman and Cumming are not even a patch on Houston either, you don't just replace AA calibre players with budget versions and expect the same output.

We got 100+ games out of him from in a year where we had no picks thanks to the Trigg sanctions. Was the right decision to let him go (and get a compo pick) but he was a decent club servant for us.
beauty of him retiring now is his offspring (i.e. Craig Kelly's grandchildren) remain linked to us. Talent often comes out greater in the next generation

They are not getting two first round picks for Houston, no club is offering that. His worth to Port is far higher than to any other club in a trade situation. It also doesn't help a team in a premiership window.

Perryman and Cumming are not even a patch on Houston either, you don't just replace AA calibre players with budget versions and expect the same output.
Yeah, but look at the whole picture

Imagine they pull off opening up a spots for Cumming, Perryman and Luko. And then bring in a first round pick this year

Wouldn't that be a net win overall for their list with the only sacrifice being Houston and the delisting of a couple of players at the bottom of their list?

Yeah, but look at the whole picture

Imagine they pull off opening up a spots for Cumming, Perryman and Luko. And then bring in a first round pick this year

Wouldn't that be a net win overall for their list with the only sacrifice being Houston and the delisting of a couple of players at the bottom of their list?
They don't need to offload Houston to bring in Cumming or Perryman (highly doubt they're getting both anyway). Luko is also separate to this and they could trade a F1 for him without offloading a top 5 player.

Trading a top 5 player with proven A grade ability to bring in maybe 2 or 3 players that will improve your depth is not a great list strategy in a premiership window. It made sense with Wingard because his form was on the decline, but that isn't the case with Houston.

They don't need to offload Houston to bring in Cumming or Perryman (highly doubt they're getting both anyway). Luko is also separate to this and they could trade a F1 for him without offloading a top 5 player.

Trading a top 5 player with proven A grade ability to bring in maybe 2 or 3 players that will improve your depth is not a great list strategy in a premiership window. It made sense with Wingard because his form was on the decline, but that isn't the case with Houston.
They "won" the wooden spoon in SANFL this year

Everyone points and smiles at their depth

Will their lack of depth be their downfall over the finals series?

Houston isn't even playing this final series. Farrell has been ruled out injured for the season now too. So we'll get a look at their lack of depth.

I think you're downplaying the abilities of both Cumming & Perryman. Both are best 22 players in a team that also finished top 4 this season (yes, I know Cumming has spent a good part of the season injured)

I also doubt they're getting both of Cumming and Perryman too, it doesn't take away from the fact that if they trade Houston they can immediately get some reasonable and experienced coverage from 1 of them

And if they do finish up with a F1 and use it on Luko, they still get a P1 in this draft (something they simply don't have right now) and keep a P1 in 2025 draft

All I'm saying is I can understand why they're doing it. I'm really not that invested 1 way or the other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's good list management, I wish we were more aggressive with our trades. After 2017 we hung onto guys for too long until the point they had little value.

I rate Houston but I'd be surprised if any Victorian clubs are prepared to give up two first round picks unless one was late and they got an early second back. A number of clubs like the Pies and Bulldogs don't even have one first round to give let alone two.

It's possible Port think Houston is at his peak. Another four years is a long time and they really want drafts picks so have to manufacture it somehow.

It's good list management, I wish we were more aggressive with our trades. After 2017 we hung onto guys for too long until the point they had little value.

I rate Houston but I'd be surprised if any Victorian clubs are prepared to give up two first round picks unless one was late and they got an early second back. A number of clubs like the Pies and Bulldogs don't even have one first round to give let alone two.
I think the Pies talk was around them flipping the pick from the Noble trade to GC plus next years first (and maybe some other stuff)

They have Mike Mcguane's son coming through as a F/S son next year and he's tracking pretty well I believe atm?

beauty of him retiring now is his offspring (i.e. Craig Kelly's grandchildren) remain linked to us. Talent often comes out greater in the next generation
Yep they’ll be right in the sweet spot for our 3rd flag in 2045
Hope they have a TV in the old folks home

It's possible Port think Houston is at his peak. Another four years is a long time and they really want drafts picks so have to manufacture it somehow.

Midfielders and occasionally KPFs are the keys to a flag - how many CBAs did Houston have this season? Less than one I think.

Half-back flankers, no matter how good, are easily replaceable and not worth multiple first rounders which Port are allegedly chasing.

Had to laugh when I saw this post and the suggestion Jack Mahony was unlucky not to play AFL this year

He was lucky to get picked up by a second club at all. Makes Lachlan Murphy look good

Fun finals weekend for us.

5 ex crows will be playing finals this weekend (Cameron, Stengle, Danger, McGovern, Gunston).

We have 5 active players on our list that have played in a final.
All but one played in a GF after leaving us. All but 2 won one.

Had to laugh when I saw this post and the suggestion Jack Mahony was unlucky not to play AFL this year

He was lucky to get picked up by a second club at all. Makes Lachlan Murphy look good

censorship GIF

If he's not good enough to get a game for North or the Suns, he better have a backup career plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back