News Non-Crows AFLW 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

What has happened to the bulldogs? Wow.

Also Brisbane a big loss to North. Didn't pick that. Saw a bit of the game - Brisbane can't exit a stoppage with the ball, anywhere. Eventually North get it. Weird stuff.

I haven't admittedly paid any serious attention to North before, but watching #6 O'loughlin - she's very good. Dancing around everybody. Looks like she's just hitting that prime age of her career as well.

What has happened to the bulldogs? Wow.

Also Brisbane a big loss to North. Didn't pick that. Saw a bit of the game - Brisbane can't exit a stoppage with the ball, anywhere. Eventually North get it. Weird stuff.

I haven't admittedly paid any serious attention to North before, but watching #6 O'loughlin - she's very good. Dancing around everybody. Looks like she's just hitting that prime age of her career as well.
Bottom of the ladder last year. Traded out some experienced players. Apparently they lost 11 players through trade/movement/delisting. That's a third of their list.

Also, reading between the lines, the club has not been taking their AFLW program seriously. Burke was doing essentially everything and the club was not resourced properly.

Stuff like this is pretty damning:

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/12...ey-issues-that-plagued-lowly-western-bulldogs

"Without going into too many of the trade secrets or the things that actually happened throughout the year at the club, it was really, really tough on 'Burkey' in the sense that the Bulldogs didn't actually have a head of women's football," McCarthy said.

"Debbie Lee was at the club probably two or three seasons ago and since her departure as the head of women's football, they haven't replaced her. So, there was no head of women's football, so poor old Burkey was really up against it."
"I think with their list management, there was a lot of (complacency) around contract negotiations and offers, which actually ended up being the reason a few of those other senior players actually looked elsewhere or thought 'Okay, maybe I will explore my other options'," McCarthy said.

"I think that really came to hurt the club in regards to those senior players."

Last edited:
There is a new dedicated AFLW show airing weekly on 7plus, and I decided to watch the debut episode this week. Don't think I'll bother watching it again. Very Victorian-focused, looks like it was produced on a non-existent budget, and super shallow in its analysis.

They spent all show teasing that they would announce the round 1 rising star nomination (which ended up being Shineah Goody). Finally, with literally 30 seconds of airtime left they came back with the following deep and insightful commentary:

Abbey Holmes: Welcome back to Talking W!
They flash up a still screen showing Goody's stats, no footage of the game
Abbey Holmes: It is our pleasure to finish the show this week by announcing the Telstra W rising star nominee for round 1, and it is Port Adelaide's debutant in Shineah Goody being nominated this week, collecting a handy 15 disposals and a goal in the Showdown. That's very exciting for her, round 1 rising star?
Ben Brown: Absolutely. Fantastic.
Abbey Holmes: Thank you so much for joining us on Talking W! We will see you next Monday!

Yeah, probably not though.

There is a new dedicated AFLW show airing weekly on 7plus, and I decided to watch the debut episode this week. Don't think I'll bother watching it again. Very Victorian-focused, looks like it was produced on a non-existent budget, and super shallow in its analysis.

They spent all show teasing that they would announce the round 1 rising star nomination (which ended up being Shineah Goody). Finally, with literally 30 seconds of airtime left they came back with the following deep and insightful commentary:

Abbey Holmes: It is our pleasure to finish the show this week by announcing the Telstra W rising star nominee for round 1, and it is Port Adelaide's debutant in Shineah Goody being nominated this week, collecting a handy 15 disposals and a goal in the Showdown. That's very exciting for her, round 1 rising star?
Abbey Holmes: Thank you so much for joining us on Talking W! We will see you next Monday!

That's a shame. I thought she'd be good.

It’s just the same half-arsed short little basic show that was on channel 9 on Sunday’s after the Sunday footy show in previous years, just jumped channels.

Jeez, caught some of the Dogs/Port game and not new information but the Dogs are so far behind in most facets of the game at the moment. They deadset look like they’re a new expansion team this season, more damning is they are making it look like Nathan Burke was not actually one of their main problems.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez, caught some of the Dogs/Port game and not new information but the Dogs are so far behind in most facets of the game at the moment. They deadset look like they’re a new expansion team this season, more damning is they are making it look like Nathan Burke was not actually one of their main problems.
They won't win a game this season.

They won't win a game this season.

Watched all the 2nd half, I’ve seen some poor teams at this level over the previous 8 seasons including GWS a few years ago, West Coast for a couple of years after they came in and Sydney in their first year but agree I don’t think I’ve seen a worse team than this Bulldogs side is currently, they might fluke something later in the season if their opposition totally f-up but their last 2 weeks have been nothing short of abysmal, actual dragging down the league bad.

I don’t like this kind of criticism of footballers in this league & sure it was a little greasy due to some pre-match rain and Port as they showed last week are a tough pressuring side but if you told someone before the game that the Bulldogs forward line was made up of players from overseas who discovered the game only a couple of months ago they would probably believe you, honestly do they have a head of womens football down there yet? surely they’d be wondering what the coaches have actually been doing these past few months.

Watched all the 2nd half, I’ve seen some poor teams at this level over the previous 8 seasons including GWS a few years ago, West Coast for a couple of years after they came in and Sydney in their first year but agree I don’t think I’ve seen a worse team than this Bulldogs side is currently, they might fluke something later in the season if their opposition totally f-up but their last 2 weeks have been nothing short of abysmal, actual dragging down the league bad.

I don’t like this kind of criticism of footballers in this league & sure it was a little greasy due to some pre-match rain and Port as they showed last week are a tough pressuring side but if you told someone before the game that the Bulldogs forward line was made up of players from overseas who discovered the game only a couple of months ago they would probably believe you, honestly do they have a head of womens football down there yet? surely they’d be wondering what the coaches have actually been doing these past few months.

Yes, they reminded me of the GWS side from 2017. Just no system at all and very few players with any business even playing at the level.

They do have a head of women's football now, Patrice Berthold, as of March this year. They lost a whole heap of players and coaches in the interim though.

I know nothing about Patrice Berthold. According to the press release she's a former cricketer who then went on to lead Cricket Australia's operations team working with the men and women.

Daisy's Eagles struggling against Essendon this week, down 3 goals to 0 midway through the second quarter. It should have been 4 goals to 0, but a goal after the quarter time siren was disallowed for, as far as I can tell, no reason whatsoever? The official explanation is that she moved off her line on the set shot, but the replay shows she absolutely didn't, and the umpire on the mark made no signal at all. Maybe she took too long to take her kick?

Daisy's Eagles struggling against Essendon this week, down 3 goals to 0 midway through the second quarter. It should have been 4 goals to 0, but a goal after the quarter time siren was disallowed for, as far as I can tell, no reason whatsoever? The official explanation is that she moved off her line on the set shot, but the replay shows she absolutely didn't, and the umpire on the mark made no signal at all. Maybe she took too long to take her kick?
Who knows. The umpiring in the AFLW is pretty terrible. An Essendon player got a free kick at a ruck contest for a shepherd against Wafker. She barely touched her arm. Can you shepherd someone with the force? I've seen free kicks paid for holds which were barely holds, but then you see other players continually held at contests.

Gonna be great when the finals are decided by who got to flog the Dogs vs who didn't get to face them
Crows played them last year. We also had West Coast and GWS last year. Brisbane didn't get to play any of these bottom teams, but won the flag. They had a much tougher draw.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Non-Crows AFLW 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back