MFC Fans Only Non-Demons AFL Discussion – 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, nobody's beating a healthy GWS at their best.
Nor should they either with what they've been given. Nearly twice as much talent than any other side. Gold Coast won't be far behind. They have an incredible list build with many more coming through the academy. Both these plastic clubs gonna be hard to stop next 5 years or so. Then Tassie will poach all the talent and picks.

Giants winning a flag with this style would be great for the game.
Tbf Collingwood broke the mould in 2022 with their style and then obviously winning last year shows it's sustainable. GWS are following suit.

Nor should they either with what they've been given. Nearly twice as much talent than any other side. Gold Coast won't be far behind. They have an incredible list build with many more coming through the academy. Both these plastic clubs gonna be hard to stop next 5 years or so. Then Tassie will poach all the talent and picks.
This never eventuates.

Confirmed, Collingwood isn't that good and Essendon still have a way to go.

I give the list management there a big thumbs up though. Moving Hopper and Tarranto on has been a standout move. Picking up Bedford and Hogan have really paid off as well. They just keep making good decisions

Who do we have to trade to get Jake Riccardi and Callum Brown?

I give the list management there a big thumbs up though. Moving Hopper and Tarranto on has been a standout move. Picking up Bedford and Hogan have really paid off as well. They just keep making good decisions
The only thing stopping them from winning the flag is potentially running into a Carlton, Geelong or Collingwood on the MCG on the last day. The Melbourne curse on GF day is a real thing unfortunately for interstate teams. They are head and shoulders above every other side in talent.

They had a bunch of great picks when they started but since 2016 they have only missed the finals twice. Traded incredibly well their whole existence to keep bringing new talent in.

Biggest leg up they get is their academy but all the northern sides get that.

They had a bunch of great picks when they started but since 2016 they have only missed the finals twice. Traded incredibly well their whole existence to keep bringing new talent in.

Biggest leg up they get is their academy but all the northern sides get that.
Nailed their picks early days which has set them up to perpetually rotate good players in and out whether it's trade or reserves. You could make a Top 4 side from the players they've traded out. It's actually surprising they haven't won a flag already. Gold Coast look to be on that path finally with some very good academy picks coming through and some good picks in the draft. Now they have a good coach, they should start to rise up the ladder with the list talent they have.

Nailed their picks early days which has set them up to perpetually rotate good players in and out whether it's trade or reserves. You could make a Top 4 side from the players they've traded out. It's actually surprising they haven't won a flag already. Gold Coast look to be on that path finally with some very good academy picks coming through and some good picks in the draft. Now they have a good coach, they should start to rise up the ladder with the list talent they have.
Plenty of duds in those early picks.

2010 underage selection they got Cameron, Shiel, Treloar, Nathan Wilson, Bugg and Hombsch as well as a bunch of duds.

2011 their first round was Patton, Coniglio, Tyson, Hoskin-Elliott, Buntine, Haynes, Tomlinson, Sumner, Greene, Adams, Devon Smith.

2012 was Whitfield, O'Rourke, Plowman, Jaksch, Corr

2013 was Boyd, Kelly

A lot of those guys left and they managed to con teams into overpaying for them.

Where they were smart is they were happy to let guys go quite quickly if they weren't working out or wanted to leave. Traded Tyson and the Salem pick to us to get Kelly. Hoskin-Elliott an early second, Treloar and Boyd got them pick 7 and 6 respectively, which they then ontraded into a bunch of other picks to get their academy players.

Only reason they haven't won a flag yet is cause Leon Cameron was an ordinary coach.

2010 underage selection they got Cameron, Shiel, Treloar, Nathan Wilson, Bugg and Hombsch as well as a bunch of duds.

2011 their first round was Patton, Coniglio, Tyson, Hoskin-Elliott, Buntine, Haynes, Tomlinson, Sumner, Greene, Docherty, Adams, Devon Smith.

2013 was Boyd, Kelly

A lot of those guys left and they managed to con teams into overpaying for them.

Where they were smart is they were happy to let guys go quite quickly if they weren't working out or wanted to leave. Traded Tyson and the Salem pick to us to get Kelly. Hoskin-Elliott an early second, Treloar and Boyd got them pick 7 and 6 respectively, which they then ontraded into a bunch of other picks to get their academy players.

Only reason they haven't won a flag yet is cause Leon Cameron was an ordinary coach.
The Rock Clapping GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree they've both had plenty of access to talent, but they've made the most of it unlike others who've had long stretches of high first rounders (us, Carlton in early 10s, GC). GWS's whole operation has become very professional, and while Sheedy comes across kinda nuffie like now he was a good 1st coach to help create a culture and identity for the club. They've traded well and built a very strong, balanced list across all lines.

GC still seem kinda flakey and really should have risen to at least finals level already by now. Plenty of meh teams scrape into 7th/8th.

Also, Bedford was an academy pick for us but we hardly played him/didn't try and maximise his strengths.

I agree they've both had plenty of access to talent, but they've made the most of it unlike others who've had long stretches of high first rounders (us, Carlton in early 10s, GC). GWS's whole operation has become very professional, and while Sheedy comes across kinda nuffie like now he was a good 1st coach to help create a culture and identity for the club. They've traded well and built a very strong, balanced list across all lines.

GC still seem kinda flakey and really should have risen to at least finals level already by now. Plenty of meh teams scrape into 7th/8th.

Also, Bedford was an academy pick for us but we hardly played him/didn't try and maximise his strengths.
Bedford was a weird one for us. I think most of us could see strong potential there.

Like others have said, maybe it took the right coach to unlock the talent. They clearly play a more aggressive style now than under Cameron. But geeez they've had some top end talent on their list. Should have won one with Jeremy Cameron on the list. Tigers were just an immovable force with prime time Dusty. I'll be shocked if GWS don't win a couple flags in the next few years. Too much talent not to. More talent than what we had in 2021 IMO.

Gold Cost will explode at some point. Too much talent coming through not to. They've been a rabble with the coaches they've had, but under Dimma I reckon they'll start to rise. Some of these academy kids on the list now and incoming look super strong.

I dunno mate. Yesterday's game was much higher quality than ours and on that sample, I'd have both the Dons and Pies looking more likely than us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Or at least the same. We ain't clear of those teams playing how we are right now

I dunno mate. Yesterday's game was much higher quality than ours and on that sample, I'd have both the Dons and Pies looking more likely than us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Pies are still thereabouts. Essendon are playing good footy. But they did last year as well up until about this point, then faded badly. Essendon have a very easy draw. So I'd expect them to make finals from here. Pies look a little shaky, but when it clicks they still look a top 2 team.

Or at least the same. We ain't clear of those teams playing how we are right now
Swap us with Carlton on the ladder that's your top 4. Hard to separate much between the group sitting 5-11 at the moment.

2011 their first round was Patton, Coniglio, Tyson, Hoskin-Elliott, Buntine, Haynes, Tomlinson, Sumner, Greene, Adams, Devon Smith.

2013 was Boyd, Kelly

Some damn good footballers on that list. They nail more than not and have done since their first year. Fantastic eye for talent. Both GC and GWS have been forced to get rid of talent quick to stay under the salary cap as it got smaller and smaller. I guess that was the idea from the AFL that would give them solid top end picks for years to come as clubs offer high picks for their OOC or overpaid talent. GWS have nailed the draft better than GC which has allowed them to trade out for more high picks. Fantastic list management from the start really. Agree Leon was holding them back. Even with the ineptness of his coaching they still had a real crack at the flag based on pure talent. They clicked mid last year under Kingsley and won't look back now. Multiple flags incoming.

Except it was dogs that knocked them out???

Actually I forget.
Yeah dogs won the prelim but Scully got stiffed on an obvious 50 that would have put the Giants in front.

Still don't mind it though cause get stuffed Scully.

Gotta laugh at Brad Scott sooking about the sub rule and calling for it to be just an extra interchange. The evolution of the sub rule has been ridiculous.

First it was brought in only to be activated when a player is concussed because losing a player in your rotations after a concussion is unfair. Coaches lobby for it to become a medical sub because they don't see the point in the distinction between a concussion and a hamstring.

Then a year later it becomes a tactical sub because why leave a guy on the bench all day and the distinction of what constitutes a valid injury is too vague and messy.

Now Scott is calling for it to just be an extra player on the bench which would essentially leave us exactly where we started.

If that ever happens the sub rule will have been a completely pointless exercise that netted the game an extra player on the bench for absolutely no reason.

Might as well just go back to a 4 man bench at that point.

Gotta laugh at Brad Scott sooking about the sub rule and calling for it to be just an extra interchange. The evolution of the sub rule has been ridiculous.

First it was brought in only to be activated when a player is concussed because losing a player in your rotations after a concussion is unfair. Coaches lobby for it to become a medical sub because they don't see the point in the distinction between a concussion and a hamstring.

Then a year later it becomes a tactical sub because why leave a guy on the bench all day and the distinction of what constitutes a valid injury is too vague and messy.

Now Scott is calling for it to just be an extra player on the bench which would essentially leave us exactly where we started.

If that ever happens the sub rule will have been a completely pointless exercise that netted the game an extra player on the bench for absolutely no reason.

Might as well just go back to a 4 man bench at that point.
Lol then they make it a 5 man bench, then someone gets concussed and they complain they are a man down and then they bring in a concussion sub

Remove this Banner Ad

Back