MFC Fans Only Non-Demons AFL Discussion – 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the fall of the footy show was a combination of things, was definitely more entertaining in the 90s but then they tried too hard to go into comedy and forgot about talking footy. Shit like house of bulger was cringey as ****. Definitely an element of wokeness, Sam Newman was stifled badly. Just talk footy, do the tips and keep the comedy to Trevor.
It was always an entertainment show not just a footy show though, they used to have Mark Jackson on, they had Mad Dog Muir and Wayne Carey and Archer when the Stevens thing happened. Then the world got precious and they lost those moments
Then the comedy came from Trev, but it also came from Ed, Sam and the players. Once Trev left and the players started getting media trained it was down to basically Garry Jim Bill and Shane to keep it entertaining because every single year they told Sam to say less and do less.

Everything that made the show was taken out of it until it was just a run of the mill AFL 360 basically

Then the comedy came from Trev, but it also came from Ed, Sam and the players. Once Trev left and the players started getting media trained it was down to basically Garry Jim Bill and Shane to keep it entertaining because every single year they told Sam to say less and do less.

This might have something to do with it. I didn't really watch it at all until it was just Gaz, Brown less, JB, Crawford and Newman and something about it always felt stilted.

This might have something to do with it. I didn't really watch it at all until it was just Gaz, Brown less, JB, Crawford and Newman and something about it always felt stilted.
Yeah, I loved doing that show with Gaz, Brown, JB, Crawford, and Newman.

Yeah, I loved doing that show with Gaz, Brown, JB, Crawford, and Newman.
Can imagine you would adore hanging out with that lot 🤗

It was a live TV show that was supposed to be blokey and edgy, while at the same time the world was trying to ban blokey and edgy. You can see the progression from the old shows to the new of how under pressure everyone looks to not accidentally say something wrong. Comedies funny when it's organic not carefully scripted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was always an entertainment show not just a footy show though, they used to have Mark Jackson on, they had Mad Dog Muir and Wayne Carey and Archer when the Stevens thing happened. Then the world got precious and they lost those moments

Everything that made the show was taken out of it until it was just a run of the mill AFL 360 basically
I'm not saying it has to be just talking footy but I just think they went too far away from it and tried to hard to be entertaining in a forced way ie 'house of bulger' not in a natural way as you mentioned like footballers talking shit which is what the punters want. I think there was an element of trying to copy the nrl footy show which was more of a variety show. When I say just talk footy do the tips I mean that is where they can do some banter ect.

Nah the world got woke, easily offended and all the players got media trained.

Instead of blokes being able to sit around having an organic chat they all sat in fear of accidentally saying something offensive

Old players on the panel in the 90s were like Dunstall, Hawkins, Everitt, Lyon, Brereton, Brownless, Hird, Buckley etc all massive start of the game and almost all of them went on to have massive media careers. Imagine some dork player now talking about team effort and two wording his way through anxiety riddled answers about his tik tok.

Old footy show used to help out alot of struggling country footy clubs with millions of dollars. Couldn't give a stuff now it's all about the lights at Marvel Stadium

Why do you hype stuff from the 90s up when you were like 5 years old in 2000?

Why do you hype stuff from the 90s up when you were like 5 years old in 2000?
2 points to raise here big fella. I wasn't 5 in 2000 and the internet exists with old videos! You should try it sometime.

I think the fall of the footy show was a combination of things, was definitely more entertaining in the 90s but then they tried too hard to go into comedy and forgot about talking footy. Shit like house of bulger was cringey as ****. Definitely an element of wokeness, Sam Newman was stifled badly. Just talk footy, do the tips and keep the comedy to Trevor.
Yeah but the whole show was based around Sam. Whether you loved or hated him, people tuned in to hear him be controversial. He said it how he saw it. I mean, the guy amongst dozens of things sat there in blackface and pretended to be Nicky Winmar who didn't show up one night.

Was fantastic in its heyday when you could actually do comedy. Was it controversial and out of line at times, yep, but that's what made it a must watch. Once cancel culture took over, Sam and the show were neutered leaving more footy talk, then people lost interest. All the footy shows now take themselves way too seriously. Where's the fun!?

Footy Show was fun enough in its day. Sam Newman is a genuine grub of a person though, so not sad to see it gone.
I get Sam wasn't for everyone, but he was why the show was as popular as it was, you never knew what sort of controversial thing he was going to do next, you had people who loved him and hate watchers all tuning in. It was unpredictable and must watch, the golden age of saying whatever you want before cancel culture became a thing. You dont get that entertainment these days

I get Sam wasn't for everyone, but he was why the show was as popular as it was, you never knew what sort of controversial thing he was going to do next, you had people who loved him and hate watchers all tuning in. It was unpredictable and must watch, the golden age of saying whatever you want before cancel culture became a thing. You dont get that entertainment these days
If Sam Newman was a stand up comedian he'd be fine to say everything he said, because he's not a designated funny person in society he got in trouble. Live television plus his on air persona plus the type of audience meant yeah sometimes he said some ripe shit, but that's comedy. Its not all ****ing Carl Barron lame shit.

I also think people were far less serious back then and could laugh at themselves, a different time.. Sam did overstep the mark on occasions for sure but it wasn't as often as a lot of people make it out to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back