Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Pleasure watching Dusty/Fyfe/danger over the years and a truly blessed to witness that. Think most would lean to say Fyfe was the best and some would say Danger was but for me I would take Dusty in my side. What he did in big finals ans especially in GF’s was unbelievable and arguably probably won’t be matched again.

It's fair to say that Fyfe and Dangerfield has better records in Home & Away footy, but Martin wasn't just a "Finals player". He did win a Brownlow, AFLMVP and AFLCA Champion Player.

But in Finals football when it truly mattered most - he overtook Fyfe and Dangerfield. But if you combine his record in Home & Away footy and Finals Footy, Martin "burnt the candle at both ends" collectively and whilst I might seem bias because I'm a Richmond supporter, like you I'd pick Martin as well because he got thr job done and performed at such a high level when it mattered most.....Finals Footy.

Im an efficiency guy. Dusty could tear a half of footy apart with 10 disposals than what 15-20 Danger & Fyfe shanks could.
Ablett could do the same but didn't do it as often as Dusty and was still largely a "by the numbers" kind of guy.

Better field kick and better kick for goal than the others as well.

Have a read of that, the numbers and stats are outstanding.

Reference:

AFL
The remarkable numbers and stats of Dustin Martin’s career
By SEN 5 hours ago

Champion Data has celebrated the great Dustin Martin.

The Richmond star announced his retirement from the game on Tuesday after 15 years and 302 games.

Below are some of the remarkable stats ‘Dusty’ delivered since making his debut in 2010.

Champion Data’s Daniel Hoyne also delved deep into Martin’s unbelievable finals record on SEN’s Sportsday.

See the stats tidbits below:

69 times he had 20+ disposals and 2+ goals. That is 10 times more than any other player over the last 15 years. Gary Ablett is next on 59 and Patrick Dangerfield on 58. That’s a significant gap with two walk-up Hall of Famers.

The broken tackle stat started the year Dusty came into the competition. He’s had 377 broken tackles over a 15-year campaign. The next most is Jack Viney on 213. That’s 164 more than any other player.

He’s won 49 per cent of one on one contests. The next highest player is 42 per cent being Nat Fyfe, then Dangerfield at 41. It is outrageous how much better a one on one player he has been over a 15-year career. The average is 25 per cent.

Then you look at what he does when he’s been a target inside forward 50. When Richmond have gone to him, they’ve scored a goal 30 per cent of the time. No other player has done that in 15 years. He’s been the best forward 50 target in 15 years. The average is around about 18 per cent.

Our AFL Player Ratings ironically started the year Dusty came in. He was the No.1 rated player on the ground for five consecutive matches from the 2020 finals series into 2021. Only Dangerfield has done that for five consecutive matches.

His 2017 Grand Final is the second highest rated Grand Final of all-time. Luke Shuey’s 2018 Grand Final is miles ahead of anyone else, Dusty comes in at No.2. The rating was 30. If you get a 15 rated game, that’s an All-Australian type game. If you get a 20, it’s wow. If you get a 30 then you just go back and watch that performance over and over and over.

His 2020 Grand Final comes up as the sixth best Grand Final. Keep in mind that is with shortened quarters. If you extrapolate that out to a full game then it comes out as the second best Grand Final as a 32 rated game.

His 2019 Grand Final comes out as the 12th best Grand Final.

Overall he has been the No.1 rated player on the ground six times from 16 finals. No other player has done that.

Dusty’s Finals Ratings
His ratings in the 12 finals between 2017 and 2020 where Dusty was in his prime. He had one poor final out of 12 and that was the night when he couldn’t walk against Collingwood in the 2018 Prelim where they admitted afterwards that he probably shouldn’t have played.

His Qualifying Final in 2017 he was 2nd highest. Prelim in 2017 against GWS he was 6th. Grand Final in 2017 he was No.1.

2018 Qualifying Final he was 1. 2018 Prelim, throw that in the bin.

2019 Qualifying Final he kicked six goals against Brisbane, 3rd highest player. 2019 Prelim against Geelong he was 11th. Grand Final day he was No.1.

2020 Qualifying Final against Brisbane, they lost, he was 9th. This is the best - they’re in a bit of trouble, they’ve lost their first final, he wakes up and goes No.1 in the Semi, No.1 in the Prelim and No.1 in the Grand Final. He went whack, whack, whack and brought home a flag.

The 20-plus rating which is the wow factor, he has done that eight times in finals. The next most is five - Josh Kennedy, Joel Selwood and Dangerfield. He’s miles ahead.

The three years they won a flag in 2017, 2019 & 2020 - in each of those Prelims and each of those Grand Finals, he’s had 20+ disposals and 2+ goals.

It's fair to say that Fyfe and Dangerfield has better records in Home & Away footy, but Martin wasn't just a "Finals player". He did win a Brownlow, AFLMVP and AFLCA Champion Player.

But in Finals football when it truly mattered most - he overtook Fyfe and Dangerfield. But if you combine his record in Home & Away footy and Finals Footy, Martin "burnt the candle at both ends" collectively and whilst I might seem bias because I'm a Richmond supporter, like you I'd pick Martin as well because he got thr job done and performed at such a high level when it mattered most.....Finals Footy.

Why are you in this thread?

Eddie Murphy Reaction GIF

His 2017 Grand Final is the second highest rated Grand Final of all-time. Luke Shuey’s 2018 Grand Final is miles ahead of anyone else, Dusty comes in at No.2. The rating was 30. If you get a 15 rated game, that’s an All-Australian type game. If you get a 20, it’s wow. If you get a 30 then you just go back and watch that performance over and over and over.
I agree with this guy, people forget just how good Shuey was in the GF

thought it was funny Hawkins said he knew it was time coz he's closer in aheto the young blokes parents than his team mates.

Hawkins needs 4 goals for 800.

Can 100% see a party in rd24 for him, hope we spoil it

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

4 goals to equal Matthew Richardson (800), if he kicks 5 goals or more then he overtakes him.

I think it's kind of normal in a weird way to parse through other boards when a club champion retires, see how others saw him sort of thing.

For mine it's Peak v Consistency. And out of the three I think Martin had the highest peak. Most damaging pound for pound and uniquely unlocked that Richmond team.

Fyfe is underrated and it's easy to forget but he really kicked off the whole CHF sized midfield beast craze. His 10-13 game start to 2015 is close to as good as I've seen.

But neither had long sustained stretches of week after week competition dominance. Martin would coast at times, Fyfe would get injured. Dangerfield easily the most consistently highly performed out do the three.

I'd pick Martin if I had to win a final (duh) his peak is a bit higher and his skills and footy brain are unique for unlocking highly contested games. I'd probably take Danger to build a team around and Fyfe over Danger if his body wasn't a shambles.

Regardless, they're the clear three of their era unless you include Pendlebury, who's a bit older and less flashy but maybe my favourite of the lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like to engage with supporters from all clubs and talk footy/sport. Sorry for bothering you mate.

I mean, we have plenty of Dusty discussion on the main board. Didn't expect the West Coast board to be a place to be lectured on how good he was. Yes, he was an all time great. Did you have to post it here too?

I know my opinion could be unpopular especially with those that never go to the main board. Meh.

I mean, we have plenty of Dusty discussion on the main board. Didn't expect the West Coast board to be a place to be lectured on how good he was. Yes, he was an all time great. Did you have to post it here too?

I know my opinion could be unpopular especially with those that never go to the main board. Meh.
This isn't the Freo board. I don't see any issues with oppo fans coming here for a respectful interaction.

Yeah I know, and Trew is a West Aussie, so didn't think so. He's not half Japanese either, though I was wondering if there was a relation.

Relation I'm not certain on, but my wife taught him in highschool and advised me he does not have a sister.

I think it's kind of normal in a weird way to parse through other boards when a club champion retires, see how others saw him sort of thing.

For mine it's Peak v Consistency. And out of the three I think Martin had the highest peak. Most damaging pound for pound and uniquely unlocked that Richmond team.

Fyfe is underrated and it's easy to forget but he really kicked off the whole CHF sized midfield beast craze. His 10-13 game start to 2015 is close to as good as I've seen.

But neither had long sustained stretches of week after week competition dominance. Martin would coast at times, Fyfe would get injured. Dangerfield easily the most consistently highly performed out do the three.

I'd pick Martin if I had to win a final (duh) his peak is a bit higher and his skills and footy brain are unique for unlocking highly contested games. I'd probably take Danger to build a team around and Fyfe over Danger if his body wasn't a shambles.

Regardless, they're the clear three of their era unless you include Pendlebury, who's a bit older and less flashy but maybe my favourite of the lot.
Dusty was one of the few players that could Coast in their career tbh. Played in a generational team and if he wasn’t playing in the middle he can go and kick a few goals effortlessly. I seriously doubt guys like Fyfe/Danger would have been able to do so

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back