Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Riewoldt with an anecdote of Liam Baker being a genuine Eagles nuffy. Apparently he went to the 2018 GF in West Coast supporters gear despite being a listed Richmond player at the time.

We’re screwed…he’s going to end up on our list.

Edit - not that I’m against getting him but not at the price that is being suggested. 23 or F2 at the absolute most. Even that is too much for mine for a 27yo small utility.

Last edited:
Jack Riewoldt with an anecdote of Liam Baker being a genuine Eagles nuffy. Apparently he went to the 2018 GF in West Coast supporters gear despite being a listed Richmond player at the time.

Where is this from?
I don't really mind it as long as it doesn't involve us using a 1st round pick.
The cost that Richmond might be asking for is the issue.

Edit - not that I’m against getting him but not at the price that is being suggested. 23 or F2 at the absolute most. Even that is too much for mine for a 27yo small utility.
Would love to see pics of Baker doing that

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Christ what a weekend.

Took the son for his first trip to Melbourne and he was overjoyed to see the Lions win a Grand Final in person.

At the ground, the following things stuck out for me:
  • Brisbane continually stretching the Swans' defence and keeping players deep in attack. Sydney defenders kept trying to push up higher, but all that did was create more space for the Lions' forwards to exploit on turnover.
  • The amount of running from Brisbane's young players is immense and it is at pace. That pace allows them to maintain defensive structure and generate scoring opportunities off turnover.
  • Size matters. J.Dunkley and J.Berry put their bigger bodies to use, blocking and outmuscling the Swans midfielders, providing lanes for L.Neale, W.Ashcroft and H.McCluggage to run through and take possession.
  • L.Neale and W.Ashcroft are the best tight hand combination in the competition, they almost never fumble.
  • There was zero space in Sydney's attack. Brisbane's defensive structure was brilliant and the Swans couldn't find a one-on-one opportunity anywhere with their ball movement going wide and delayed. The L.Parker to H.Andrews matchup remains a baffling one - it did nothing to drag H.Andrews out of position or reduce his impact, yet J.Longmire stayed with it until long after the game was lost.
  • Rucks are still the most overrated position in football - all you need is a 200cm runner that enjoys hurting people. B.Grundy should have been decisive; instead D.Fort was able to shove him around all day and position him into places in the way of his team-mates.
  • A terrible lack of accountability from the Swans' midfield. All too often the much-heralded Sydney midfielders were ball-watching with seemingly no awareness of where their Lions counterpart was positioned. Perhaps they were too used to being tagged, too familiar with matchups that wouldn't actively hurt them the other way. When Brisbane asked them questions, they were unable, or unwilling, to defend.
  • The Lions using marks to diffuse pressure. More than a few shades of 2018 at times. Whenever Sydney would start to generate some momentum, out came kick mark, kick mark, which reasserted Brisbane's control. C.Fagan may have just cracked how to play it with a modern flavour. Short kick like Geelong, use the flankers to create outnumbers like Hawthorn.

As for the result, two things immediately come to mind:
  • As time goes on, the run by the Lions this year will be seen as one of the greatest finals campaigns ever. Four weeks of finals, three wins in a row away from home. It hasn't happened since Adelaide in 1998.
  • This Sydney team will never recover from this. Two 10+ goal Grand Final losses in three years, that kind of emotional scarring never heals.

Consider it this way: since 1990, every team that has lost a Grand Final by 12 points or less has played in another within six years - with 5 of those 7 resulting in premierships.

However, since 2000, no team that has lost a Grand Final by 48+ points (from nine attempts prior to Saturday) has won a premiership within the following six years.

Sydney had everything fall in their favour this season, yet they still lost the Grand Final by ten goals.

Credit to C.Fagan and Brisbane. Through injury, an early lack of form and off-field rumours, their year could have easily fallen apart several times. But they held together, rejigged the selection, found some quality amongst the youth and are now premiers after a thoroughly dominant display on the final day of the season.

Christ what a weekend.

Took the son for his first trip to Melbourne and he was overjoyed to see the Lions win a Grand Final in person.

At the ground, the following things stuck out for me:
  • Brisbane continually stretching the Swans' defence and keeping players deep in attack. Sydney defenders kept trying to push up higher, but all that did was create more space for the Lions' forwards to exploit on turnover.
  • The amount of running from Brisbane's young players is immense and it is at pace. That pace allows them to maintain defensive structure and generate scoring opportunities off turnover.
  • Size matters. J.Dunkley and J.Berry put their bigger bodies to use, blocking and outmuscling the Swans midfielders, providing lanes for L.Neale, W.Ashcroft and H.McCluggage to run through and take possession.
  • L.Neale and W.Ashcroft are the best tight hand combination in the competition, they almost never fumble.
  • There was zero space in Sydney's attack. Brisbane's defensive structure was brilliant and the Swans couldn't find a one-on-one opportunity anywhere with their ball movement going wide and delayed. The L.Parker to H.Andrews matchup remains a baffling one - it did nothing to drag H.Andrews out of position or reduce his impact, yet J.Longmire stayed with it until long after the game was lost.
  • Rucks are still the most overrated position in football - all you need is a 200cm runner that enjoys hurting people. B.Grundy should have been decisive; instead D.Fort was able to shove him around all day and position him into places in the way of his team-mates.
  • A terrible lack of accountability from the Swans' midfield. All too often the much-heralded Sydney midfielders were ball-watching with seemingly no awareness of where their Lions counterpart was positioned. Perhaps they were too used to being tagged, too familiar with matchups that wouldn't actively hurt them the other way. When Brisbane asked them questions, they were unable, or unwilling, to defend.
  • The Lions using marks to diffuse pressure. More than a few shades of 2018 at times. Whenever Sydney would start to generate some momentum, out came kick mark, kick mark, which reasserted Brisbane's control. C.Fagan may have just cracked how to play it with a modern flavour. Short kick like Geelong, use the flankers to create outnumbers like Hawthorn.

As for the result, two things immediately come to mind:
  • As time goes on, the run by the Lions this year will be seen as one of the greatest finals campaigns ever. Four weeks of finals, three wins in a row away from home. It hasn't happened since Adelaide in 1998.
  • This Sydney team will never recover from this. Two 10+ goal Grand Final losses in three years, that kind of emotional scarring never heals.

Consider it this way: since 1990, every team that has lost a Grand Final by 12 points or less has played in another within six years - with 5 of those 7 resulting in premierships.

However, since 2000, no team that has lost a Grand Final by 48+ points (from nine attempts prior to Saturday) has won a premiership within the following six years.

Sydney had everything fall in their favour this season, yet they still lost the Grand Final by ten goals.

Credit to C.Fagan and Brisbane. Through injury, an early lack of form and off-field rumours, their year could have easily fallen apart several times. But they held together, rejigged the selection, found some quality amongst the youth and are now premiers after a thoroughly dominant display on the final day of the season.
Fantastic analysis mate thanks for sharing. Great the young fella got to experience it. I’ve got Pyke’s PA number if you want to give him a buzz, it’s not too late.

Was surprised that Swans were favourites as I considered Brisbane to be a better team across the park. Swans end to the season was pretty average so they were hardly the form team.

Swans strength is the midfield but Brisbane's midfield has more depth. Didn't foresee such a massive margin but went for the Lions at 20+

terrible lack of accountability from the Swans' midfield. All too often the much-heralded Sydney midfielders were ball-watching with seemingly no awareness of where their Lions counterpart was positioned. Perhaps they were too used to being tagged, too familiar with matchups that wouldn't actively hurt them the other way. When Brisbane asked them questions, they were unable, or unwilling, to defend.
Great analysis on the whole game but this part really stuck out to me watching on TV where the camera is generally focused on the midfield contest.
It’s exactly what happened in the game when the swans got smashed by Port too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I recall, there was a bit of noise about some animosity between some of the Brisbane players after their overseas trip last offseason.
Either it was a false rumour or they worked through it. Interesting if it was the latter.

It was the latter. All was not well after the Vegas trip blow-up occurred. C.Fagan was being dragged through the Hawthorn racism investigation as well.

H.McCluggage was seriously considering the massive RFA offer from St Kilda. J.Berry similar with an RFA offer from Adelaide.

The Lions were falling off the rails, briztoon was rolling out tanking gifs everywhere.

As much as anything it seems to be the horror run of long-term injuries that provided the club with the circuit-breaker that was needed. The focus went from individuals to the team and the spark from those coming in inspired older players to join in for the ride.

The mentoring roles from T.Cotchin and S.Dew probably shouldn't be underestimated either when it comes to Brisbane's list cohesion this season.

It was the latter. All was not well after the Vegas trip blow-up occurred. C.Fagan was being dragged through the Hawthorn racism investigation as well.

H.McCluggage was seriously considering the massive RFA offer from St Kilda. J.Berry similar with an RFA offer from Adelaide.

The Lions were falling off the rails, briztoon was rolling out tanking gifs everywhere.

As much as anything it seems to be the horror run of long-term injuries that provided the club with the circuit-breaker that was needed. The focus went from individuals to the team and the spark from those coming in inspired older players to join in for the ride.

The mentoring roles from T.Cotchin and S.Dew probably shouldn't be underestimated either when it comes to Brisbane's list cohesion this season.

This. People continually have talked down about Cotch but he was a key pillar in moving Richmond forward from a very low base and his own determination was a large part of them moving onwards and upwards.

Dew also has always been great with young players and bringing them together. He just didn't seem to have what it took to take the loser mentality out of GC as their senior coach. I would be very happy to try and poach him for a senior football department role, particularly in development.

This. People continually have talked down about Cotch but he was a key pillar in moving Richmond forward from a very low base and his own determination was a large part of them moving onwards and upwards.

Dew also has always been great with young players and bringing them together. He just didn't seem to have what it took to take the loser mentality out of GC as their senior coach. I would be very happy to try and poach him for a senior football department role, particularly in development

I wonder what sort of relationship McQualter has with Cotchin. When I heard about Mini getting the job, I thought of Cotchin straight away as an assistant coach. Perhaps unlikely, as he has only been at Brissie for what, a year? Will be interesting who Mini brings in on the coaching side of things.

I wonder what sort of relationship McQualter has with Cotchin. When I heard about Mini getting the job, I thought of Cotchin straight away as an assistant coach. Perhaps unlikely, as he has only been at Brissie for what, a year? Will be interesting who Mini brings in on the coaching side of things.
Recently retired players jump into assistant coach gigs all the time, obviously they wont have assistant coach experience before they become an assistant.
I think he'd be a great get, give him the midfield maybe?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back