Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Edmund

@Sammy__Edmund
·
20s

St Kilda told Josh Battle NOT to come to the Trevor Barker Award last night. Battle went on to finish third in the count, but wasn't mentioned by the president, captain or coach. Interesting approach from the club.

And they wonder why their culture is rubbish.

Glad Barrass was at the club awards and acknowledged.
I guess the difference is that Barrass gave the Eagles the opportunity to upgrade his contract. The Eagles declined.

Saints have reportedly matched or even gone better than the Hawks offer and yet he’s still elected to leave possibly only triggering band 2 compensation.

It probably still doesn’t justify that kind of response and does look like poor form by the club. However it is a different scenario to Barrass leaving the Eagles.

I guess the difference is that Barrass gave the Eagles the opportunity to upgrade his contract. The Eagles declined.

Saints have reportedly matched or even gone better than the Hawks offer and yet he’s still elected to leave possibly only triggering band 2 compensation.

It probably still doesn’t justify that kind of response and does look like poor form by the club. However it is a different scenario to Barrass leaving the Eagles.

The optics of it leaves very little to be desired. St Kilda come off looking petty and churlish. Not a great advertisement for how they treat their players - past, present and prospective.

Be professional and invite the guy the end of year piss up. Players coming and going is just ordinary course of business for a sporting organisation.

Sam Edmund

@Sammy__Edmund
·
20s

St Kilda told Josh Battle NOT to come to the Trevor Barker Award last night. Battle went on to finish third in the count, but wasn't mentioned by the president, captain or coach. Interesting approach from the club.

And they wonder why their culture is rubbish.

Glad Barrass was at the club awards and acknowledged.

I just think it's ironic for the Saints to do this considering like half their best 23 every week are players from other clubs who asked to be traded there 🤷‍♂️

Footy on Nine

@FootyonNine
·
35s

Clayton Oliver will meet with Geelong heavyweights today as the club ramps up its effort to lure the star out of Melbourne, per Sam McClure.Full story: https://nine.social/PHz

Yeah so how are they going to afford Smith AND Clayton ? They have not a lot of draft capital?
The certainties of life...

Death,
Taxes, and
Geelong has the salary cap room to afford anyone, anytime.

Talk about a ticking timebomb if Cats get Oliver and Smith. Both guys could explode over one off season of drugs.

Not sure how they get one, yet alone both. Both are worth a top 10 pick at a minimum, yet alone the salary they would command.

Talk about a ticking timebomb if Cats get Oliver and Smith. Both guys could explode over one off season of drugs.

Not sure how they get one, yet alone both. Both are worth a top 10 pick at a minimum, yet alone the salary they would command.
one bag and their season is over

Man, that StK news is childish. Y'all involved are grown arse adults.

I dunno, maybe its cause I'm getting older, I've mellowed out with stuff like that, I just can't bothered holding grudges.

Thank the guy, let him have a last night with all the people he has formed relations with at the club, wish him well and send him on his way.

In the end, it's only Footy, people are going to do what's best for themselves. And if that means leaving a club, so be it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man, that StK news is childish. Y'all involved are grown arse adults.

I dunno, maybe its cause I'm getting older, I've mellowed out with stuff like that, I just can't bothered holding grudges.

Thank the guy, let him have a last night with all the people he has formed relations with at the club, wish him well and send him on his way.

In the end, it's only Footy, people are going to do what's best for themselves. And if that means leaving a club, so be it.
If someone was taking a pay cut and reducing the compo band to just leave the club and chase hawks success, **** them right off.
Same with Baker, if he cares more about Richmond's compo than coming over he can get in the bin as well.
Rats leaving a sinking ship and he wants us to go plug holes for them.

Peep Liam Baker's acceptance speech for finishing 5th in the Richmond BnF. The look of a bloke that's about 8 pots deep with that far away look in his eye :tearsofjoy:

Same with Baker, if he cares more about Richmond's compo than coming over he can get in the bin as well.
Rats leaving a sinking ship and he wants us to go plug holes for them.
Again, can anyone provide a direct quote from Baker regarding this?

Know the family and he is definitely not a 'rat' in any way, shape or form.

Who knows why players want to leave a club, you may shout it's all about the dollars, but perhaps there are other reasons?
Maybe they have issues with the direction of the club/team, maybe personal issues with others at the club, maybe they have good mates at other clubs they just want to play with, maybe they just need a fresh start? Who knows.

Think back to a time in your life where you have had to make a huge descion that you know is best for you, but will upset/disappointed alot of people. It's most likely not going to be an amicable departure, but both parties can still be gracious and wish each other the best of luck for the future.

But for, basically the top guy at the club, to not mention players name or not invited them to the final celebration of the teams year, its very childish and petty, and I would be disappointed in the club if WC did something similar.

If they do decide to leave, so be it. Once the decision is made, it will very rarely change.

Everyone wanted greater/easier player movement, which we have now, and players leaving mid contract and nominating a chosen club is one outcome of it. There's no point getting upset, it's going to happen to everyone alot more frequently. Sometimes you will come out on the positive side, others the negative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back