Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty bad loss for Norf to end their season on. Their supporters would have been pretty upbeat about next season after their last few weeks but this will bring them back down to earth.
Wait, Im confused. According to the Norf nuffies, they have like the best young up and coming list 🤔. I mean, apparently their list is just as good as ours, yet pretty sure but they just got pumped by second last Adelaide and we're playing finals. I mean I could be wrong.

The one good thing they've been good at in the last 20 years is sacking coaches. What are they waiting for here?

It's just madness, the one time it actually makes sense is the one time they're stuffing around.

I fully agree with Carlton's position that they're not going to be influence by external expectations, there is not enough of this approach generally. However, it doesn't make any sense that they have not made a decision by now. It's cruel and also just stupid to think Teague is now going to sit through exit meetings and the like if he is just going to be sacked.

How does Teague ever survive this? What happens if they start next year bleeding inside 50s and scores and get to round 10 with fewer wins that losses? They're not going to be able to withstand the backlash.

They've brought the need to sack Teague on themselves, regardless of who is available, his authority has been eroded almost completely.

It's just madness, the one time it actually makes sense is the one time they're stuffing around.

I fully agree with Carlton's position that they're not going to be influence by external expectations, there is not enough of this approach generally. However, it doesn't make any sense that they have not made a decision by now. It's cruel and also just stupid to think Teague is now going to sit through exit meetings and the like if he is just going to be sacked.

How does Teague ever survive this? What happens if they start next year bleeding inside 50s and scores and get to round 10 with fewer wins that losses? They're not going to be able to withstand the backlash.

They've brought the need to sack Teague on themselves, regardless of who is available, his authority has been eroded almost completely.
This is the kicker for me. Apparently the results of the review were received over 2 weeks ago. The delay in making a call is extraordinary.

Its also weird they they say they wont be swayed by external expectations... then why announce the review in the first place 12 WEEKS ago?
Why not do what we did last year, or what St Kilda did this year and review quietly in the background and not bring in the media scrutiny?

An absolute shambles. Its probably good they arent going to go through a proper process and will likely cherry picking a replacement. Good luck trying to get a manager of an aspiring head coach to convince them to apply to be part of that circus.

Suspect they are losing their bottle here & may well keep Teague on.
It's an interesting one for them when obviously they would want Clarkson but he has said he wants to take 1 year off and fair enough. So, do they keep Teague on given he is under contract, hoping to get Clarkson in a year's time but then really throw away 2022 (unless Teague decides defence is an important part of the game). Or just go with Lyon now.

Think you have to take the Lyon option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean I'm sure North would have bid on Daicos but I hope they don't for posterity
Even if they didn’t, the pies would have had the chance to trade pick 2 for a kings ransom.

Ironic, yes but don't they end up using 2 on Daicos anyway? Isn't the reason they traded their first pick because they wouldn't need it to end up with the same result?

Surely no one lets Daicos get past Collingwood's first round pick. You bid simply to weaken (or maybe it's better thought of as not unduly strengthening) a competitor.

Genuine questions, by the way, I don't follow the draft rules and strategy that closely.

If I was North I'd bid on Daicos and Darcy and be upfront with the kid I plan to take.

Last edited:
Ironic, yes but don't they end up using 2 on Daicos anyway? Isn't the reason they traded their first pick because they wouldn't need it to end up with the same result?
Yes and no. Assuming North bid on Daicos then whatever pick gets wiped out, sure. But if they held onto the pick they could sell it this year for just a nudge more than the couple of picks in the 20s and a future third they took in a desperate scramble for good news after last year's fire-sale.

They could also theoretically do what Sydney did with Blakey - sell pick 2 for something in the future, then use said futures to buy back in at the top once the bid has been matched.

Last edited:
They probably sold it with the assumption it would be pick 5-10 or so, not pick 2. I guess that's the risk/reward that comes with trading future picks. You might get lucky and score a massive bargain or you might screw yourself over.

Brent Stanton's gotten the arse from Carlton.

They probably sold it with the assumption it would be pick 5-10 or so, not pick 2. I guess that's the risk/reward that comes with trading future picks. You might get lucky and score a massive bargain or you might screw yourself over.

Yes they would probably go into a crap load of deficit but imagine this alternate reality

1. North - JHF
2. Pies - Darcy
2. Dogs - Darcy (matched)
3. Pies - Callaghan
4. Suns - Daicos
5. Pies - Daicos (matched)

It was almost as perfect as you could hope for, make the dogs pay top dollar, drive the Daicos bid down and Callaghan essentially becomes a cheeky little bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back