Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This became crystal clear to me during the saga days. I haven't looked at or listened to a media publication the same way since. It's all just content filling and click-bait these days.

Of course there are exemptions and some quality journos and footy heads worth listening to, but they are few and far between.
I want to enjoy seeing Essendon celebrated for it's wins

Carlton were the under dog, we were the favourite, we got the chocolates pretty convincingly in the end

who did the media put on the back page? Didn't have red in it's colour strip

The fox crew is obsessed with the transition defence stat.
Last in the league.
They never tell us who's first and how much further ahead they are.

He's a terrible analyst. How about some insights into how we're bucking a lot of AFL trends and it seems to be working
I find him interesting to listen to but I agree half of his stuff is average. How long has it taken him to get on board with the fast footy game being a current trend ? He tends to stick fat to an old trend until it is really obvious a new one has emerged.

I find him interesting to listen to but I agree half of his stuff is average. How long has it taken him to get on board with the fast footy game being a current trend ? He tends to stick fat to an old trend until it is really obvious a new one has emerged.
i've never really warmed.
flipside, i think Montagna brings interesting things. feels like he genuinely enjoys the game. don't always agree with him but he's good to listen to nonetheless

im also not a fan of how he presents his arguments. remind me of my year 8 assignments.
Make hypothesis, find some supporting information, dismiss nuance.

too formulaic for me.

I don't get why that Carlton supporter was having a go at Jack Silvagni. He's a fairly limited footballer but he tries his heart out which is more than be said for a few of his more talented team mates.

I don't get why that Carlton supporter was having a go at Jack Silvagni. He's a fairly limited footballer but he tries his heart out which is more than be said for a few of his more talented team mates.
Talk about rough crowd,

Paddy Dow laid more tackles (3) than every other team mate bar one (Matt Kennedy - 4) in a little over 23 minutes I think I read.

Silvagni tries his guts out but he is the epitome of a tweeter imho

flipside, i think Montagna brings interesting things. feels like he genuinely enjoys the game. don't always agree with him but he's good to listen to nonetheless

im also not a fan of how he presents his arguments. remind me of my year 8 assignments.

too formulaic for me.
I just like listening to them even if I do not agree. I like to hear different angles. I find it makes me look at different things I may miss. Sometimes I do not see it and disagree and you back your own judgement. Sometimes you find a little something else that you did not see.
I read most stuff on here. I argue against a lot of posters but if they present a decent argument I will read it and try and look for it next time around. I am also guilty of sometimes pushing a few buttons to expand the conversation so I can read more of it and find out more of what they are trying to say.
A lot of weeks I will go to at least one other AFL game to look at game style more than anything else.

Because Carlton.

Honestly it’s their culture. Rightly or wrongly it’s a fascinating microcosm of a section of society.

We should also be reminded only a handful of decades ago, most club supporters at local VFL venues would berate the shit out of their teams after a loss. We’re not that far removed from it, only Carlton are not removed from it at all lmao.

Btw, in seriousness I know it’s a tiny percentage of their fanbase and every club has dickhead supporters.

too formulaic for me.
Yeah its not even like King is a shock jock merchant, I just think his analysis is really rigid and shallow.

Dont mind Montagna, and actually Buckley isnt too bad for that matter. For a real nerd-out on data analysis Ive been enjoying the articles on ABC by Cody Atkinson and Sean Lawson

I just like listening to them even if I do not agree. I like to hear different angles. I find it makes me look at different things I may miss. Sometimes I do not see it and disagree and you back your own judgement. Sometimes you find a little something else that you did not see.
I read most stuff on here. I argue against a lot of posters but if they present a decent argument I will read it and try and look for it next time around. I am also guilty of sometimes pushing a few buttons to expand the conversation so I can read more of it and find out more of what they are trying to say.
A lot of weeks I will go to at least one other AFL game to look at game style more than anything else.
same. i try to get the most out of the afl membership.

do wish i could use it to get into AO more often when im in SA.
But ill generally catch a good 8-10 Dees games, take the folks to a lot of Pies games and then just try watch guns play.

pains me so many good kids are going to North :(

Yeah its not even like King is a shock jock merchant, I just think his analysis is really rigid and shallow.

Dont mind Montagna, and actually Buckley isnt too bad for that matter. For a real nerd-out on data analysis Ive been enjoying the articles on ABC by Cody Atkinson and Sean Lawson
Bucks is good
has that last little bit of Pies bias to shake (his JDG take on Hewett was a shocker)
but generally he's good

Lyon, Bucks, Dunstall, Lewis, Loughlan, Daisy and Joey are the ones i enjoy.
used to like Whately, but he's gone a little too preachy of late.

same. i try to get the most out of the afl membership.

do wish i could use it to get into AO more often when im in SA.
But ill generally catch a good 8-10 Dees games, take the folks to a lot of Pies games and then just try watch guns play.

pains me so many good kids are going to North :(
I like a decent spread. I have found the Saints an interesting watch this year. I know their style can look crap on TV as a viewing event but live they are a good watch as far as watching how they set up.

I like a decent spread. I have found the Saints an interesting watch this year. I know their style can look crap on TV as a viewing event but live they are a good watch as far as watching how they set up.
Not been to a saints game
Nor have i caught a crows game yet either :( yet to play in melb

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not been to a saints game
Nor have i caught a crows game yet either :( yet to play in melb
Crows game would be a good watch live. Thankfully I have avoided the Eagles :p

Reckon the tribunal has their first good night in god knows how long.

Nothing in the Butler one, Mansell had squillions of options and essentially elected to shoulder charge and there is so much potential for injury with the Sicily one with a lifting and a slinging motion he’s probably lucky it’s not more than 3.

Crows game would be a good watch live. Thankfully I have avoided the Eagles :p
Love watching the crows.
Generally play good football even when theyre not the best.

This year, their kicking is sublime to watch.

Need to catch some more port, freo and gcs too (not seen humphrey live yet)

Love watching the crows.
Generally play good football even when theyre not the best.

This year, their kicking is sublime to watch.

Need to catch some more port, freo and gcs too (not seen humphrey live yet)
GCS vs Carlton this weekend at the G. Would love to see a Suns win against them. Carlton slight favs with the bookies.

Okay, who of you lot upset the Carlton faithful by taking all of the Charlie Curnow bobble heads on Sunday night,

But among the crackdown on protecting the head in 2023, the league hasn’t had a football boss since Brad Scott stepped down late last year.

AFL executive Laura Kane has stepped into an interim football role but seldom offers interviews, meaning fans have a hard time putting a face to the new rules across the competition.

A memo was recently sent to clubs showing proper tackling technique, yet several are reported to have not shown their players for fear of confusing them further.

It’s another peculiarity in a game that has two CEOs, yet no one directly responsible for the game.

“It would appear that most clubs, definitely some clubs haven’t bothered to show the examples (on how to tackle),” Blight remarked.

“So what should the AFL do about it? What should the umpire department do about it?

“What we should do is have someone perhaps in charge of football. We're at Round 14 and we still haven’t got a football boss in the biggest game in this country… there is no one doing this role.

“We’ve two CEOs and we still haven’t got a football boss in charge of the football program.

“(Anyone) could do it for a few weeks.”

Gil McLachlan will remain in charge of the league until the end of the season before CEO-elect Andrew Dillon takes the reins.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back