Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

May have been asked previously by others, just wondering if anyone knows when Round 24 will be finalised? So hard to plan trips for interstaters....

martin gets a fine & this gets 3

Swing an elbow at a guy behind you? Throw a punch? A small fine. (No place in AFL)

Lay a relatively innocuous tackle which results in the head hitting the ground. 3 weeks and no Brownlow (Footy action)

The fact that players like Serong and Merrett are ineligible for Brownlow medal for an accidental footy action whilst people who throw fists aren't is baffling to me.

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wild card round? More progressive shite.

Why do we want half or more than half of the competition to be eligible for finals?

These are all ways of driving fake fan engagement. We always look to plastic US sports and teams for inspiration.

There can be more games in a season without this w***ery.

Dane Rampe again illustrating how the rules are only for everyone else in the AFL...

Wild card round? More progressive shite.

Why do we want half or more than half of the competition to be eligible for finals?

These are all ways of driving fake fan engagement. We always look to plastic US sports and teams for inspiration.

How is fan engagement fake?

They're engaged or their not. Whatever means engages them, is engagement. More finals chances, themed rounds, family friendly things on game day. It's all fan engagement.

How is fan engagement fake?

They're engaged or their not. Whatever means engages them, is engagement. More finals chances, themed rounds, family friendly things on game day. It's all fan engagement.
In this case "fan engagement" is another way of the AFL gaining more dollars out of fans pockets, not to mention what the broadcasters would tip in.

I think it's very much an ill-thought idea. The last thing someone who's earned a top 8 spot needs at that time of year is an extra game getting further fatigued and risking injury when their finals opponent for the first week of actual finals is rested and had a chance to get over niggling injuries. I say that assuming the wildcard teams wouldn't get a rest as the actual finalists certainly wouldn't want 2 weeks off between the H&A season and finals.

In this case "fan engagement" is another way of the AFL gaining more dollars out of fans pockets, not to mention what the broadcasters would tip in.

I think it's very much an ill-thought idea. The last thing someone who's earned a top 8 spot needs at that time of year is an extra game getting further fatigued and risking injury when their finals opponent for the first week of actual finals is rested and had a chance to get over niggling injuries. I say that assuming the wildcard teams wouldn't get a rest as the actual finalists certainly wouldn't want 2 weeks off between the H&A season and finals.

The NBA has a wild-card / play-in tournament to determine the final couple of spots, that was (I think) something that came in during COVID.

It's been very popular with fans as far as I know.

The sport exists to entertain the fans.

Therefore, it's a good form of engagement.

The NBA has a wild-card / play-in tournament to determine the final couple of spots, that was (I think) something that came in during COVID.

It's been very popular with fans as far as I know.

The sport exists to entertain the fans.

Therefore, it's a good form of engagement.
For a brutal and taxing game like AFL, the players voice in this should be the strongest. They're already playing an additional round due to Gather Round, do some teams need more? How do they get compensated for this contractually/match payment wise as it's additional risk on their behalf.

Look it's a conversation worth having but I'm definitely not a fan of the idea. Odds are the broadcasters will throw a handsome amount of money at it and the AFL will find a way to justify it using terms that don't include money. Rarely do the AFL go public with a thought bubble that doesn't eventuate.

For a brutal and taxing game like AFL, the players voice in this should be the strongest. They're already playing an additional round due to Gather Round, do some teams need more? How do they get compensated for this contractually/match payment wise as it's additional risk on their behalf.

Look it's a conversation worth having but I'm definitely not a fan of the idea. Odds are the broadcasters will throw a handsome amount of money at it and the AFL will find a way to justify it using terms that don't include money. Rarely do the AFL go public with a thought bubble that doesn't eventuate.

Definitely need to get the players on-board with it, the AFL often put stuff like this out there to temperature test what the public thinks. Like how they keep doing it with a night GF.

The AFL obviously want to maximise the amount of games they can sell, but also keep the season alive as long as possible for more teams.

This year is a god-send for them as you've got teams as far down as 14th (Sydney) that are still not completely out of the finals race, so you won't get a whole block of dead rubber games to finish the season.

The original play-in tournament from the NBA required the teams to be within a certain number of wins to actually qualify for the chance, so if there was a clear gap between say 8th and 9th then they wouldn't go ahead. Now it just goes ahead regardless if you finish in that range. The higher rank teams get a double chance (winner of 7 v 8 go straight through, loser plays the winner of 9 v 10 for the second spot).

In a season like this one where it's quite possible only percentage is separating the sides from 6th - 10th (currently GWS in 9th is on the same wins, but less percentage than St Kilda in 6th) it would probably make a lot of sense.

Dane Rampe again illustrating how the rules are only for everyone else in the AFL...

“I didn’t run in and make contact. There was no other option than to brace after he moved in and made contact with me,” Rampe said

Not sure how the footage agrees with young Dane but apparently it does.

The original play-in tournament from the NBA required the teams to be within a certain number of wins to actually qualify for the chance, so if there was a clear gap between say 8th and 9th then they wouldn't go ahead. Now it just goes ahead regardless if you finish in that range. The higher rank teams get a double chance (winner of 7 v 8 go straight through, loser plays the winner of 9 v 10 for the second spot).

Herein lies one of the main issues imo. How long is the gap between the H&A season and finals starting? What would a non-wildcard finalist think of having 2 or 3 weeks off, then the top 4 having yet another week off after their first final should they win? It's not like they have a finals series against each opponent, if they have an off game due to not playing for a bit they're done.

I'm not arguing against what you've been saying, of course fan engagement is the moniker the AFL will sell it under, I'm arguing against the concept for a sport like AFL in the first place as it's hard to justify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back