Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

That is a huge out. Almost Blues MVP IMO
Not even close to Weitering. If he goes down Carlton go from contender to barely making up the numbers.

Hate to agree with Cornes but this is the sort of dirty act that actually needs to penalised harshly not dominant tackles. This is my biggest gripe with the current AFL approach, totally outcome based not intent based and hyper focused on certain actions whilst ignoring much dirtier non-football actions.

Last edited:
Hate to agree with Cornes but this is the sort of dirty act that actually needs to penalised harshly not dominant tackles. This is my biggest gripe with the current AFL approach, totally outcome based not intent based and hyper focused on certain actions whilst ignoring much dirtier non-football actions.
Only a fine.

Worse than Wright's 4 weeks IMO. Potential for injury huge.

Famous VFL club Port Melbourne will make a longshot bid to convince former Essendon coach and AFL legend James Hird to consider a return to senior coaching.
The club told players before training on Tuesday night that current coach Adam Skrobalak will be leaving, after three seasons in charge, and they were in the process to find their next senior coach. Two senior club sources confirmed the interest in Hird.

No official approach has been made to Hird; however, the 51-year-old has been a constant presence at the club supporting his son Tom who has played with Port Melbourne in the past two seasons after spending three years on Essendon’s list as a category B rookie.
Club powerbrokers have been urging for Hird to be on the club’s wishlist, but two sources close to the former Bomber said Hird would be unlikely to take the job despite his love for the VFL that has welcomed him as he watched his son.

Hird is the managing director of Euree Asset management which manages approximately $150 million in investor funds. The business has become his major focus since he missed out on the Essendon coaching job at the end of 2022, which went to Brad Scott. He would be a major coup for Port Melbourne.
The Borough is keen to throw the coaching selection process wide open, having been extremely successful during the reign of Hawthorn champion and dual Norm Smith medallist Gary Ayres, and will speak to Hird to gauge his intentions.

Tom Hird at Bombers training in March 2020. CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
Former Western Bulldogs champion Rohan Smith is also expected to be on their radar.
Ayres was the club’s longest-serving coach, leading them to two premierships between 2008-2021 and also keeping the profile of the famous club, which celebrates its 150th anniversary this season, high.

It would be the first senior coaching role for the 51-year-old since he left the Bombers late in the 2015 season, when Essendon were thrown into upheaval by the club’s drugs scandal.
The Australian Football Hall of Fame member took time away from football to recover from the effects of the saga on his health and wellbeing, but he has returned football in recent years.

He presented the Norm Smith Medal to Richmond’s Dustin Martin after the 2017 grand final and worked in a part-time capacity with Greater Western Sydney in 2022, helping out in the coach’s box when former teammate Mark McVeigh took over as interim coach for the final 13 matches that year.
The Essendon champion coached the Bombers in 85 matches, leading them from 2011-2013 and then for 19 matches in 2015. He won the 1996 Brownlow Medal and the 2000 Norm Smith Medal and played in two premierships.
He was suspended by the AFL for 12 months at the end of 2013 after being charged by the league, along with other key figures and the club itself, with bringing the game into disrepute over the drugs saga.

he was stinking it up early in the year.
they put him back in the side too early, when he was actually fit he was playing some good defensive football.

given his time spent out this time, i'd imagine he's nearly at full fitness

Also tho seriously how many dudes were concussed every week in the 90s? When elbow “bumps” reigned supreme and a sling tackle was just a bit of fun.

I got slung into the ground by Ben Wardrop in a game of under 10s and hurt my neck and saw stars and my dad told me to toughen TF up.

Obviously I still have trouble with loud noises and turning to my left but otherwise I’m ok
Yeah getting hit in the head all the time didn't hurt me none

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hird helps out GWS for the final 13 matches and end of 2022. 2023 they're in a prelim. 🧐 Coincidence? Probably.
They played completely different style when Kingsley came in

I can't get my head around if Hawthorn are really good or just in a purple patch

They're playing a bit of front-running / slingshot style of football that can work really well, but also can get found out in finals when the pressure goes up. They have much more useful small forwards than us so they can actually lock the ball in / put sufficient pressure on to limit easy transition goals from turnovers.

They also didn't come from having a fundamentally broken club, so there's that. Which I'm not sure how you account for but is clearly a level of baggage that past coaches have struggled with.

They're playing a bit of front-running / slingshot style of football that can work really well, but also can get found out in finals when the pressure goes up. They have much more useful small forwards than us so they can actually lock the ball in / put sufficient pressure on to limit easy transition goals from turnovers.

They also didn't come from having a fundamentally broken club, so there's that. Which I'm not sure how you account for but is clearly a level of baggage that past coaches have struggled with.
they play a game built around the fundamentals. pressure around the ball, hard-working runners who defend the ground, good skills, and creative forwards making space for one another. it's very simple, built on physical power around the ball and elite runners across the ground.

that game always holds up in finals, as long as the intensity is there.

they play a game built around the fundamentals. pressure around the ball, hard-working runners who defend the ground, good skills, and creative forwards making space for one another. it's very simple, built on physical power around the ball and elite runners across the ground.

that game always holds up in finals, as long as the intensity is there.

I would say bot are applicable. Have seen them live 6 times this year . Early on when they had a couple of injuries and their midfield was not firing 100% they looked very shaky defensively . As the midfield has found form and got all their numbers back they have defended a lot better because they have two way runners and are such a good side at winning the footy when it hits the ground.
Then there is the speed out of the back half which allows the sling shot and the speed in their small forwards that gets separation.
Chol breaking out of his old no impact ways and actually turning into a bit of a pressure forward helps as well.
They still have an issue with no decent KPF and Geelong showed that if you have a good intercept defense you can shut them down as there are no real marking targets.
Meek in the ruck is also having an impact.

First half observations sofar is that Port valued Zerk higher than Ratagolea but 20 rounds later Ratagolea has been banished from the backline.

Also Walsh is Tsatas and Tsatas is Walsh, it’s all teeth gritting, spread and overlap but knee knock running and wonky, floating kicking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back