Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeh that’s what I’m saying, if you are going to overpay you want to make sure the player is at least half decent. Corr Deadset sucks
Corr was a solid player at GWS.

But playing full back in that team for the last few years would have sucked and looks to have broken his spirit as a player. Looks all at sea.

The issue is, they’re going fringe fa’s 4/5 year deals on good money. That doesn’t help. Corr on 650k is an embarrassment
He's so bad. A 5 year contract for him is mind boggling.

Corr was a solid player at GWS.

But playing full back in that team for the last few years would have sucked and looks to have broken his spirit as a player. Looks all at sea.
He was okay, protected in a good backline, with a good midfield and a good team defense system. These average players then get exposed for being meh footballers in a bottom side. It’s why you’ve got to be careful who you trade for. He was never worth the pay packet. He’s a 400k footballer max. How get to 600x5 is ridiculous and just shows how poor north are in list management.

I doubt that.
They'll get Tassie as an academy at a minimum. Most likely either Cap Concessions or Multiple top 10 picks to ensure they're competitive from the start, if not both and a favorable draw to ensure maximum exposure. The AFL don't want another GWS/Gold Coast beginning era.

They'll get Tassie as an academy at a minimum. Most likely either Cap Concessions or Multiple top 10 picks to ensure they're competitive from the start, if not both and a favorable draw to ensure maximum exposure. The AFL don't want another GWS/Gold Coast beginning era.
I think they’ll get plenty of first round draft picks. But they’ll have to trade them for established players

Gold Coast and GWS needed to be strong teams as soon as possible. Tas will have a support base regardless of how well they go, they aren't expanding the market into a non-football area, the AFL is going to be far less invested in their success on field.

Mid-season trade periods, flogging the experience and cap space they have available to the highest bidder — apparently.
Might get them another disillusioned fringe player from a lower-end Top 8 side that will come on big dollars and do two fifths of FA, like Corr, Fisher, etc.

A genuine rabble.

He was okay, protected in a good backline, with a good midfield and a good team defense system. These average players then get exposed for being meh footballers in a bottom side. It’s why you’ve got to be careful who you trade for. He was never worth the pay packet. He’s a 400k footballer max. How get to 600x5 is ridiculous and just shows how poor north are in list management.
I recall something similar happening with the Hawks offloading a few players during their peak, those guys looked like stars playing in that side but took a turn for the mediocre once all that support was taken away

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how so? there's things about the salary cap that need to be fixed up for great equalisation but anything relating to the floor doesn't really factor in

North (and previous rabble sides) having to pay 95% of the cap no matter how shit / inexperienced their list is means they have no choice but to overpay the spuds on their list to get there.

It happened at Gold Coast, Melbourne, Carlton and now North.

Lowering the floor means they don't have to overpay players in order to meet the cap floor, and can (in theory) have more room to throw a genuine godfather offer at a star FA.

This year the cap is ~ $15.79m

So North have to pay $15.0m whilst a team like Geelong, Collingwood or Brisbane with a mature list who should be genuine GF chances are paying only $790k more.

The AFL average wage is ~$450k so North have like 1.5 AFL players less payment despite having complete trash on their list.

Lowering the floor means you pay the spuds the spud wages they deserve and can save that $1.5m (or more if you went to say 85% floor) to offer a genuine star $2m a season, or a couple of good players $1m a year.

This is me reading about Norfs issues.
unimpressed morgan freeman GIF

I dont disagree with any of that really.

I think if you were to slot Corr back into GWS or into a team like Geelong or Sydney he would look noticeably better.

He isnt the calibre of defender that can withstand what Norths team defence (or lack thereof) forces him to deal with.

I wonder when the AFL will step in regarding North.

I can't see where the improvement comes from.

They had pick one served up to them on a platter last year and fumbled at the 1 yard line.

They're desperate for mature bodies? Ben McKay was a very mature, very big body. Didn't want him.

Do they want to be helped?

So AFL.com.au has decided to add a voice-over person to their Top 10 plays of the week. It sounds so amateurish and adds nothing to the clips.
Yeah I turned it off at number 9 cos of the voice over lol
Tasmania is going to get a lot more concessions than GWS and Gold Coast did and the talent pool is going to be even more diluted.
AFL is apparently going down a different route with Tassie's entry more akin to Dolphins in the NRL. Someone was saying on a radio show that part of the current plan is to give them a war chest of early picks but with the caveat that a certain value has to be traded out for players.
They want Tas to be instantly competitive. If you send them to the draft there's every chance they end up like Gold Coast.

North (and previous rabble sides) having to pay 95% of the cap no matter how s**t / inexperienced their list is means they have no choice but to overpay the spuds on their list to get there.

It happened at Gold Coast, Melbourne, Carlton and now North.

Lowering the floor means they don't have to overpay players in order to meet the cap floor, and can (in theory) have more room to throw a genuine godfather offer at a star FA.

This year the cap is ~ $15.79m

So North have to pay $15.0m whilst a team like Geelong, Collingwood or Brisbane with a mature list who should be genuine GF chances are paying only $790k more.

The AFL average wage is ~$450k so North have like 1.5 AFL players less payment despite having complete trash on their list.

Lowering the floor means you pay the spuds the spud wages they deserve and can save that $1.5m (or more if you went to say 85% floor) to offer a genuine star $2m a season, or a couple of good players $1m a year.
Yeh I agree with that, should be able to pay 70-80% some years if you want and be able to bank it. At the same time smart teams would front end a lot instead of over paying players that don’t deserve the money

They had pick one served up to them on a platter last year and fumbled at the 1 yard line.

They're desperate for mature bodies? Ben McKay was a very mature, very big body. Didn't want him.

Do they want to be helped?
That one insignificant win against Gold Coast costing them Harley Reid might be the funniest thing about it.

If they lose the next 12 games, they will go down in history as the worst team in 125 years of AFL footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back