Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks look ok, I don’t think they have the absolute top end talent in place yet but they’re a good watch because they basically have to play fast to be effective.

Tigers are a chore
not denying they are chalking up wins, Worpel has a punchable head, Newcombe ducks, Sicily carries on more than a shadow minister at the senate, Ginnivan and Watson duck more Han olympic divers.

Day has some genuine class about him

would love to hear your reasoning
If he can fix up the set shots, I reckon he’ll be a star. He’s getting the hard part right.

yeah 20 scoring shots in his first 7 games is not exactly a worrying sign. hopefully the kicking stays like that, but...
It is when you realise Watson ducks so much to get a high free, which are free scoring shots that he sprays anyway.

I've never written off a player quicker because he just doesn't have anything remotely elite for a pick 5. Kicking is shocking, he is slow, he is 170cm, doesn't kick goals. I don't even see the talent that made him such a high pick to begin with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it'd be nice if we got gifted some of these f50 free kicks like sydney's had tonight
I didn't see them tonight but have seen them all too often. Like a few years back when AMT was getting all but undressed by the Sydney defenders and "play on". At the other end there was a loose ball scrap, someone touched Tom Papley's forearm - whistle, "Free kick Sydney", goal. Makes a big difference in a tight contest.

So went along to watch the Hawks v Tigers.
First time I have seen the Hawks live for 5 or so weeks.
They live on the edge a bit. They rely on intercept and speed in the back half and a midfield group that are now winning a lot of contested footy.
Having Day back has given them a lift but Newcombe and Moore are also playing a lot better.
Scrimshaw is another who is now really living up to the potential.
Sicily plays really good footy when he has his head on straight and his kicking was excellent. He picked of some kicks most would not even take. He basically carved them up all day.
Then they have some real speed in defense with Amon and Impy.
Weddle is bloody impressive. He is a decent size unit with a bit of speed.
Jiath did not have a huge day but his speed allows him to cover in defense.
Mass was pretty good again . Played a bit more up the ground with Sicily and Scrimshaw doing very well on the intercept front.
What they are doing well is intercept in the back half. They have speed on the rebound. Their midfield is a good bunch of solid contested ball winners with a few of them also having good outside games. They do not fumble much. They play fast footy and they are using the ball well.
One big improvement on the last time I watched was they where hitting targets out of defense . They guys in the back half all kicked the ball well today.
They are very full on as far as attack. I am not sure they defend all that well but they back themselves to cover that by having that back half speed to intercept and run the footy.
There where stages where the Tigers picked them apart pretty easily going the other way but Richmond did not have enough power to stop their intercept game.
Hawks forward line is their week link. The smalls are doing a good job ( Watsons goal kicking aside) but the lack a big marking KPF. Chol does okay when it comes in quick and he can sag out the back or get some isolation . Gunston is cooked.

Tigers looked slow. They did not have much forward and Dusty did not really fire. Apart from Taranto they had nothing in the midfield to match the Hawks.

Hate to say it but after a slow start where they got caught running in front of the footy a lot the Hawks look like they will put a few sides to the sword. They key will be pressure and forcing mistakes to create turnover as they live right on the edge with the speed they want to play at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back