Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

not sure if this is the place but this is info that is worth reading

Not sure the Kennett comments where racist as such . More a generational gap thing but with tension the way it was it could be seen as another log on the fire.
Yeah I agree. It reminded me more of the old, "I'm not sure if you're wearing short longs or long shorts."
I think when you look at it through the lens of disadvantage, which is not unreasonable to expect for a man of Kennett's intelligence, it was at least insensitive. I'm not giving him much room though. He's a politician. He knows how to use language.

Yeah I agree. It reminded me more of the old, "I'm not sure if you're wearing short longs or long shorts."
I think when you look at it through the lens of disadvantage, which is not unreasonable to expect for a man of Kennett's intelligence, it was at least insensitive. I'm not giving him much room though. He's a politician. He knows how to use language.

He was a shit politician though.

He was a shit politician though.
As a politician you may not have agreed with his policy but he do what he said he would do and it did turn around what was a bit of a mess at the time .

This is why speculation on Dustin Martin’s future was fair game, Richmond people have been having the mother of all conniptions when it turns out everyone was bang on the money the entire time.

The ****ing idiots have made Sam McLure look like the smart one in a room.

This is why speculation on Dustin Martin’s future was fair game, Richmond people have been having the mother of all conniptions when it turns out everyone was bang on the money the entire time.

The ****ing idiots have made Sam McLure look like the smart one in a room.
Re the last point, still not as bad as crows supporters :D

Wonder if he decides to come out of retirement in late october after a trip to GC revitalises him.

anyway if he does actually retire completely I begrudgingly accept him as up there with buddy and GAJ as the best player of this century.
He may have coasted during some H&A seasons but who cares when you can consistently perform on the big stage like he did, 3 Norm Smiths speak for itself. He really could turn a game in the blink of an eye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dusty is being significantly overrated with all the talk of him being an all-time great.

Great player who had one amazing season and a few others that were very very good.

But one of the best of all time… give me a spell.

Three Norm Smith is huge. He won at least one of them on his name.

Four All Australians.

Two Richmond B&Fs.

Super player, but he doesn’t came close to the likes of Buddy and Ablett Jr.

Posting here - not trying to argue with Richmond supporters or have a crack at him or them on a big occasion.

But fair dinkum… I am seeing countless people saying he’s one of the very best of all time. Yeah… no.

Dusty is being significantly overrated with all the talk of him being an all-time great.

Great player who had one amazing season and a few others that were very very good.

Four All Australians.

Two Richmond B&Fs.

Posting here - not trying to argue with Richmond supporters or have a crack at him or them on a big occasion.

But fair dinkum… I am seeing countless people saying he’s one of the very best of all time. Yeah… no.

I think you have missed the mark there.

Judd, Ablett, Buddy, Dusty would be 4 of the top players of the last 20 years.

He belongs in that company

Four All Australians.

Two Richmond B&Fs.

I hear what you are saying (commentators building him up every time he went near the ball used to annoy me) but the Tigers don’t win all those Grand Finals without him. Injured in 2018 when they lost the prelim, Cats would have won in 2020 if not for him…think he was the difference in the 2019 Prelim against the cats too 🤔.
The guy is a legendary player who will be remembered for a lifetime

Four All Australians.

Two Richmond B&Fs.

Argument to be made that he has the best 5 year prime in the AFL era but pre 2016 and post 2020 I don’t think he has an individual or team accolade to his name at all, maybe a rising star nomination?

An interesting weighting exercise.

I think you have missed the mark there.

Judd, Ablett, Buddy, Dusty would be 4 of the top players of the last 20 years.

He belongs in that company

Disagree.

He was the best player in the comp in 2017 and had an all-time season.*

That aside, his record is very good, rather than great.

Ablett was the best player in the comp for about six years. He’s nowhere near that.

Martin won two B&Fs. He was nowhere near the constant dominance of the likes of Ablett and Buddy.

*My hot take is that Houli was certainly BOG in the Grand Final in 2017, Dusty (although very good) won it on romance / hype after having just won the Brownlow.

Last edited:
Dusty is probably the best exhibit of why trying to rank players (especially across eras) is kind of dumb. Do you rank peak over longevity? AAs and similar (individual award) over finals wins (teams based)?

His peak seasons were amazing, and his ability to raise his game to new levels in the most important game(s) of the season was just incredible to watch. 3 x Norm Smith medals is a crazy achievement

I think you can get bogged down in stats and accolades in these discussions, when you watch Dusty play the big moments you appreciate how giant he truly was. Superb player.

Accolades vary in reliability, I’m happy to cite club B&Fs as they’re a very good indicator of form, importance and longevity.

Four All Australians.

Two Richmond B&Fs.

💯

Not as productive season after season as other champs he’s mentioned alongside of.

I rate Pendlebury higher FWIW.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back