Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

💯

Not as productive season after season as other champs he’s mentioned alongside of.

I rate Pendlebury higher FWIW.
Pendlebury definitely goes ok

Overcame that basketball background

Martin’s best was on another level and I think in 40 years people will talk more about Dusty than Pendlebury.

You can say what you want about Martin's legacy, but he was man enough, even with all the fanfare/accolades he's attributed to, to call it time when he knew he couldn't give 100%.

On the flip side, you have Heppell...

Says it all really.

😂

Martin hasn’t given the slightest **** about footy for at least two years and his performances have reflected that.

You can say what you want about Martin's legacy, but he was man enough, even with all the fanfare/accolades he's attributed to, to call it time when he knew he couldn't give 100%.

Says it all really.
Yeah Martin plays golf while out with a back injury, Heppell tries his arse off every time he’s on the field. For this most part had a decent season.

Plus Martin walked into a club well run (under Gale) and Heppell walked into a shit storm

😂

Martin hasn’t given the slightest **** about footy for at least two years and his performances have reflected that.

Martin is 100% the better footy player Heppell has been since 2018 and you have to have some time to get a read on it. Dusty has deserved that possibility more than Heppell has.

Yet you have two premiership greats calling it quits, and Heppell... nada. Quit giving him an out. It's a farce.

Martin is 100% the better footy player Heppell has been since 2018 and you have to have some time to get a read on it. Dusty has deserved that possibility more than Heppell has.

Yet you have two premiership greats calling it quits, and Heppell... nada. Quit giving him an out. It's a farce.

While I agree Heppell should call it quits. It is his right to make that call.

And yes, it is our right to delist him if he doesn't but let's give him the right to make that call first and not pot him for wanting his football career to continue.

Says it all really.
I can see it now with the inclub interview "The body is feeling great knackers, I'll kick around with the boys for another year."

Dusty is probably the best / most consistent big-game player I've seen, it's a pity we never saw GAJ playing finals regularly in his prime.
Hird would have to rank highly in that
Gaj is the best I have seen in the last 20 years.
Dusty great power player but not same level.
For me I will remember Martin for the high fend offs he never seemed to get pinged for

Hird would have to rank highly in that
Gaj is the best I have seen in the last 20 years.
Dusty great power player but not same level.
For me I will remember Martin for the high fend offs he never seemed to get pinged for

Hird definitely right up there, superstar. It's a pretty small cohort of players we're talking about, separated by fairly narrow margins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I agree Heppell should call it quits. It is his right to make that call.

And yes, it is our right to delist him if he doesn't but let's give him the right to make that call first and not pot him for wanting his football career to continue.
He's had the opportunity to make the call for the last 4 years. I don't think anyone can blame him if he wants to play on, but we can sure blame the club if they let him.

Pendlebury definitely goes ok

Overcame that basketball background

Martin’s best was on another level and I think in 40 years people will talk more about Dusty than Pendlebury.
They may well talk about Martin more. Doesn’t mean Pendlebury isn’t a more valuable player.

Is Dusty injured? If not, I don’t know why he wouldn’t play in the final round.

You’ve heard of deviated septum, he doesn’t even have a septum anymore

I don't think anyone can blame him if he wants to play on

Yes we can. 50/50. Especially as a former captain. Someone should be self-aware of their situation rather than undermining the playing group for selfish reasons. Hence what sets Dusty and Hawkins apart from Hepp. They've won flags, have everyone on their D and the playing group's/club's loyalty, yet still had the wherewithal to hang up the boots. Hepp knows the club is in an awkward position to keep him away as a "favourite son" and he's chosen to milk that.

Could retire with dignity like Dusty and Hawkins. Especially since Hawkins has been in way better form very recently and had people think he had another 2 years in him.

For this reason people will look back on Hawkins as an upstanding player and Hepp would've soured his legacy to the last drop.

I think you have missed the mark there.

Judd, Ablett, Buddy, Dusty would be 4 of the top players of the last 20 years.

He belongs in that company
I have Goodes ahead of Judd and Dusty (though 50/50 with Judd) and Fyfe also ahead of the latter.

It’s a weird comparison to make. Dusty has been sitting around collecting cheques for a couple of years. He totally checked out a very long time ago.

Heppell is having a crack and always has. If the club doesn’t want him it can tell him so. He’s not just waiting out an enormous contract like Dusty.

That's fine. Nobody disagrees that Martin is a better player than Heppell. But he's been phoning it in for 2 years too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back