Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Could you ever imagine Essendon beating anyone by 70+ points to take their spot in the 8? Be for real.

As for Hawthorn, I legitimately think they can win the premiership. They only need to make the top 8 and they can beat anyone. They've been the best team since about round 9.
Brisbane has by far been the best team since around that point. I could see hawks sneaking a finals win, but if they won the premiership it might be the most shocking football outcome of all time, even with their form.

Brisbane has by far been the best team since around that point. I could see hawks sneaking a finals win, but if they won the premiership it might be the most shocking football outcome of all time, even with their form.
Technically yes given Brisbane have 2 losses and a draw since round 9 and Hawthorn have 3 losses, but I think Hawthorn has been better when you factor in where they came from. If they were to square off next week, I'd back Hawthorn to win that.

Could you ever imagine Essendon beating anyone by 70+ points to take their spot in the 8? Be for real.

As for Hawthorn, I legitimately think they can win the premiership. They only need to make the top 8 and they can beat anyone. They've been the best team since about round 9.
bulldogs are mine to win, tough beat right now

With that many injuries?

Yeah, maybe.

And would we have beaten Collingwood and Adelaide (away) by 66 points each back to back to even put ourselves in that position?

Injuries never stopped us from keeping a game close when it shouldn't have been.
Carlton had no bench.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn are a blueprint of how we should run our recruitment and development. They've won premierships, bottomed out and overtaken us without us winning a final in that same period.

They're bloody good to watch too.

Who was I debating with maybe a year ago or so - who was the better ruckman out of Draper and Marshall?

I think we've solved that one by now...
Let me know who said Draper is better than Marshall so I can give them a permanent red for lack of brain

Hawthorn are a blueprint of how we should run our recruitment and development. They've won premierships, bottomed out and overtaken us without us winning a final in that same period.

They're bloody good to watch too.
I don't think we can use them as a blueprint. We are generations of players and football department staff removed from any sort of success and everyone has forgotten what they actually need to do to bring it about.

We are more like one of the expansion sides, building a functional culture almost from scratch.

Blues have seen Collingwood and Essendon implode and thought ‘how can we do this, but with more Italianate passion and drama’.

So much for the big 4 being back, Essendon and Collingwood will miss, Carlton may miss and Richmond are about to finish comfortably behind the worst team of my lifetime.

****ing Hawthorn. Pains to watch that, they are so successful and have a clear drafting recruiting and development plan. None of this “from good families” rubbish…

Now they add Battle and Barass.

We are so far away from this kind of long lasting success.
goes back to Hawthorn having an honest conversation with two all time club champions (Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell) and seeing if they would go elsewhere. They did

meanwhile we are quick to resign gun players like Jye Menzie to contracts so other clubs don't each them.

As soon as I started believing the Blues could do something, they implode. As for the Hawks, they created a dynasty, they know what they're doing. I haven't watched them though since we played them, whereby their mids dominated in stages but overall as a team, nothing special, at least on that day. Don't think anyone predicted this run of form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back