Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Do people rate the pre-finals bye?
Despite not paying a heap of attention to the season, I was pretty excited for the finals after the way last Sunday ended. Now that there's been a weekend off, all that momentum is gone, my interest in what's still to come has slipped again and I'm starting to make non-football watching plans for the next few weekends (may also have something to do with being an Essendon supporter and knowing no good football occurs in September...).

Despite not paying a heap of attention to the season, I was pretty excited for the finals after the way last Sunday ended. Now that there's been a weekend off, all that momentum is gone, my interest in what's still to come has slipped again and I'm starting to make non-football watching plans for the next few weekends (may also have something to do with being an Essendon supporter and knowing no good football occurs in September...).
for the players/teams, i completely understand it.

but like, as a fan i want more football!

Don't care. Season ended a week ago for me. Probably won't watch many finals. May not even watch the gf if gws doesn't get in.

A bye the week before the grand final makes the absolute most sense

i) gives the concussion players the time to mend and pass protocols.
ii) gives the wider AFL an opportunity to host all its awards in a two week block, 1-week completely isolated without distraction
iii) AFL house could actually allow all the lower local leagues to host grand finals the week before without distraction of the AFL's biggest game

makes sense to me

A bye the week before the Frans final makes the aboluste most sense

ii) gives the wider AFL an opportunity to host all its awards in a two week block, 1-week completely isolated without distraction
iii) AFL house could actually allow all the lower local leagues to host grand finals the week before without distraction of the AFL's biggest game

makes sense to me
The Nanny Fran GIF

Fran likes this

makes sense to me
iv) Gives finalists the opportunity to put their best team on the park, ensuring the best quality game.

I experience the lull, then I look forward. Not an issue. Then again, I'm used to waiting 2 or 3 weeks between State of Origin games.

NFL is gearing up with predictions and roster cuts so the week is full while I make the transition to following a different sport.
Being able to tune out of AFL knowing there will be no coverage worth listening to is nice.

makes sense to me
Agreed, pre-grand final seems to make more sense if you are insistent on having a bye.
Also gives non-Vic teams a bit more flexibility with how they want to balance travel vs training/prep in the lead up

The bye before the GF makes sense from getting the best possible game on GF day but it would definitely need to be at the expense of the pre-finals bye. I think the AFL will keep it as is because the GF will always attract a full house and massive TV audience, you won't get as bigger crowd or TV audience in the final round if too many sides rest their stars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They need to change Brownlow to last week to help fill the gap. Don’t mind the week off. There would be uproar again if there wasn’t one ams teams rested players especially if it could cost another team a finals spot

They need to change Brownlow to last week to help fill the gap. Don’t mind the week off. There would be uproar again if there wasn’t one ams teams rested players especially if it could cost another team a finals spot

It seems so obvious. There must be a reason they don't do it..?

Given the AFL seem to care about ratings/$ and that's about it, you'd think if they put it on the Friday or Saturday night of the bye round they'd get far higher ratings than on a Monday night.

It seems so obvious. There must be a reason they don't do it..?

Given the AFL seem to care about ratings/$ and that's about it, you'd think if they put it on the Friday or Saturday night of the bye round they'd get far higher ratings than on a Monday night.
Other thing the Brownlow is if they changed it to Monday after last home and away game it would give the winner more time to prep for final if they’re part of a finals team. Interstate teams as well would have nearly two weeks so could travel.

Bit tough if winner has to play GF five days later.

Typically I do not, but as a man who will watch all sports I was drawn to both AFLW games on Friday night. Must say that the girls were ultra impressive from even last year. Will tune in again when I can but give it a watch if you haven't.

makes sense to me
And it's a yes from me.

In a weekend containing the Sydney derby, prelim rematch and a resurgent Hawthorn returning to finals, Port vs Geelong is the least interesting for me. Maybe it's just Geelong finals fatigue, but there's only so many times you can enjoy a neutral Geelong final. At this point, it just feels like another home and away match to me. I need at least a 4-5 year break before I can start enjoying Geelong finals.

A Geelong vs Hawthorn semi next week however would be the exception.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back