Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

A live ball. That's Kelly's entire career summed up, he kicked a bloke on the ground instead of going for the ball.

Nobody will remember him for anything else because he probably didn't do anything else. I certainly can't think of anything. Jake Kelly - the guy who kicked a bloke on the ground instead of going for the footy.

Ginnivan also deliberately kicked Bailey Dale I think it was at the weekend, don’t quite land but a definite kicking action.

These are not Mensa members we are dealing with.

Ginnivan also deliberately kicked Bailey Dale I think it was at the weekend, don’t quite land but a definite kicking action.

These are not Mensa members we are dealing with.
If you want to look at it that way. I was thinking along the lines of former Essendon players Justin Murphy, Peter Filandia, Andrew Lovett, Ty Zantuck, Michael Hurley...

Snelling can play, the problem he's got is that he's a smaller midfielder that can't quite step up and play midfield at AFL level so was forced to play elsewhere.
i'll always firmly believe that he was pretty okay as a pressure forward, just lacked the express pace to be intimidating

Kobe Mutch in the votes too!

All the media boomers hand wringing re: ginnivan fail to understand one thing. The sub 25 year old man has one universal language and it's called shitposting.

It's a fool who trys to analyse or find meaning in a shitpost, just move on and talk about Laura Kane or something
FINALLY SOMEONE GETS IT.

IT'S THAT ****ING SIMPLE, HE'S A BOGAN AND A SHITPOSTING, NOTHING MORE AUSTRALIAN THAN THAT

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That seems.....wrong

Agree, sounds like football in the 80s and 90s when everyone in the team did the same stuff and it was all about smashing them as much as possible.

Surely your goal these days is to personalise the training programme such that each player works to their maximum level possible without being injured.

Agree, sounds like football in the 80s and 90s when everyone in the team did the same stuff and it was all about smashing them as much as possible.

Surely your goal these days is to personalise the training programme such that each player works to their maximum level possible without being injured.

Exactly,
I get there is a risk management piece on how hard to push to balance certain things like how much of a specific load to do vs recovery etc.
I mean this is only a short clip of a conversation and he may just be dumbing it right down for laymen and he's stuffed it up but this is too old school for mine.

I'm very curious how AFL clubs do things when it comes to their high performance teams. I get the feeling that some elements of it will be lacking when you consider that so many things across the AFL industry feel way more amateur than you would expect.

Exactly,
I get there is a risk management piece on how hard to push to balance certain things like how much of a specific load to do vs recovery etc.
I mean this is only a short clip of a conversation and he may just be dumbing it right down for laymen and he's stuffed it up but this is too old school for mine.

I'm very curious how AFL clubs do things when it comes to their high performance teams. I get the feeling that some elements of it will be lacking when you consider that so many things across the AFL industry feel way more amateur than you would expect.

I'm assuming the money you make working for an AFL club isn't that high, and even then you see sports like the NFL or NBA where presumably the money is very high, have plenty of players go away and do preseason with their own fitness coaches. LeBron has had his own for years, I know Mahomes does (Bobby Stroupe, he's done some good podcasts) and he works alongside the clubs practice and game programme to manage Mahomes strength training.

Martin went back to WA and worked with a guy over there for the last couple of preseasons and it seems to have been paying off, Tsatas did some stuff with Prime Train over summer too from memory. I think we'll see more and more of the motivated guys going out and seeking additional resources since relying on the club to have the best knowledge of every single aspect of player fitness and management is probably unrealistic, and the S&C department should be working with external guys to help improve what they're doing.

I suspect there is still plenty of amateur hour stuff going on across the AFL club landscape because so many people involved simply aren't from modern high performance backgrounds. Having a dedicated data analyst is a fairly new development at EFC isn't it?

who wins tonight? i'm kind of hoping port win. i think it'll ultimately make everything more amusing. the childish fans melting down over them winning will be amazing to read through

Port winning ticks a few boxes for me. It'll mean a Hawthorn loss and therefore no teams left in the finals race that I'd be unhappy with winning a Premiership, it'll also likely mean Port keep Ken for another year which has become pretty funny for everyone that's not a Port Adelaide supporter.

I don't think either will beat Sydney in Sydney next week.

You know Port v Hawks isn't the GF right?

And that Sam Mitchell is the Hawks coach?
Alright alright, Port to win tonight and to lose next week or week after

Exactly,

It doesn't sound that far removed from how Italians train their soccer teams. A lot of players have said that training is much more intense in Italy, particularly among some of the more old school coaches like Conte and Gasperini. I've never bothered to look into it but commentators who have been following these things for years will tell you that the prevalence of significant injury, particularly ACLs, is worse in Italy than anywhere else in Europe and that it's liked to overworking the players.

Since nature turned the talent tap back on in about 1997 and Italian players with world class ability were being produced again, it's hard to look past the reality that in Chiesa, Zaniolo, Scalvini and Scamacca 4 of 6 biggest talents produced have blown ACLs. At least Scamacca was just back luck, studs getting caught in turf, but the others looked fatigue related when they happened.

It's probably not how I would train players but I don't think what is being said in that clip would be that uncommon across professional sporting codes around the world.

I would love to see Port give Hawks a walloping but Hawks biggest strength is Ports biggest weakness (forward half vs back half ground ball differential). And now with Burton as the replacement for Houston/Farrell also out they are really scraping the barrel for running small defenders.
Rozee needs to find early season form so they can start generating scores from clearances again (it really is one of the least reliable forms of scoring but as we know Port can really catch fire in this area).

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back