Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen that much salt from the hawks since Lloydā€™s last game! It topped of the loss for me.
Was just giving my wife a blow by blow run down of line in the sand and Lloyds last game because she didn't understand why I hate the hawks so much...she was enthralled I assure you

Was just giving my wife a blow by blow run down of line in the sand and Lloyds last game because she didn't understand why I hate the hawks so much...she was enthralled I assure you
True love is pretending it's the 1st time she's heard that story.

The makeup of a good team is the ability to put up a brick wall while getting dominated.

I've seen Hawthorn do it a couple of times now.

They have speed across the ground and great kicking skills. Also a few that can take critical marks.
Now they have the Livewire Watson who's going to give us massive headaches over the next decade.
One thing that struck me with Hawthorn last night was most of its defenders didn't overcommit early when the heat was on - they know when to go when not to. In the Adelaide match in a crucial play we had 4 guys charge their guy with the ball and Rachelle got free on the outside and nailed a goal.

Watson just has it, super player.
Had a serious case of the yips to start off, interesting thing is he found confidence in his kicking when it really mattered. I think that is a coaching thing and I noticed Mitchell after matches would be talking to him about goal kicking. He had patience with Watson, belief in him and eventually that paid off.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen that much salt from the hawks since Lloydā€™s last game! It topped of the loss for me.
Can't wait to bury them again in round 1. I don't care what happens next year as long as we keep our undefeated record against the head flog Mitchell and his minion flogs.

Can't wait to bury them again in round 1. I don't care what happens next year as long as we keep our undefeated record against the head flog Mitchell and his minion flogs.
I hope so. Iā€™m not a fan of that smug little prick either. My dad pointed out he was a flog in his first game when he ran 40 metres the wrong way and got caught holding the ball. I didnā€™t like him from the start.

I knew he was a twat because of that incident, my surprise was that article I quoted where even his own team mates dont like him

Very good player, absolutely inhumane person
But he was not even a very good player. An accumulator who also rain sideways and never forward (like a crab). Slow as a wet week.

I was at the game when Lloyd ironed out Sewell. Honestly thought all Bomber and Hawk fans in the crowd were going to fight.

Nah he was a pretty high footy IQ guy who managed to cover up his physical weaknesses with good decision making. Too bad the high footy IQ doesn't extend to EQ or personality.
I'll pay that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the game when Lloyd ironed out Sewell. Honestly thought all Bomber and Hawk fans in the crowd were going to fight.
Campbell Brown's theatrics was the highlight. Roaming the boundary line waiting to get back on like a caged lion. Comes on field, winds up for big haymaker...then delivers a light slap to the back of an unsuspecting essendon player. Sums his footy career up really.

Campbell Brown's theatrics was the highlight. Roaming the boundary line waiting to get back on like a caged lion. Comes on field, winds up for big haymaker...then delivers a light slap to the back of an unsuspecting essendon player. Sums his footy career up really
Despite a history of violent acts, he's now paid by the AFL/media, too.

That sums up the AFL and its double standards.

Despite a history of violent acts, he's now paid by the AFL/media, too.

That sums up the AFL and its double standards.
all the thugs of that hawthorn team are afl media too

I didn't realise Mitchell really was that much of a f-wit, even amongst his own
Has always been an acquired taste. Have had contact with several of his junior coaches over the years and he was always described as difficult and hard to coach at times. Always had his way of doing things. He was removed as captain because he was a bit difficult as well. Very smart footy brain and thinker but not always the best bloke. Would not surprise me at all if it blows up for him after 6 or 7 years as people do say he can wear you down after a while.

Unless they have a crap load of injuries again of some of our blokes find some sort of magic fountain that makes them quicker and harder at the footy then I am not seeing it next time. We where a bit lucky they had a horror day by foot last year.

Unless they have a crap load of injuries again of some of our blokes find some sort of magic fountain that makes them quicker and harder at the footy then I am not seeing it next time. We where a bit lucky they had a horror day by foot last year.
Iā€™m on it.
Nancy Kerrigan style.

Although maybe itā€™s better to focus on Mitchell - the spirit animal for the tetchy and grumpy.

Has always been an acquired taste. Have had contact with several of his junior coaches over the years and he was always described as difficult and hard to coach at times. Always had his way of doing things. He was removed as captain because he was a bit difficult as well. Very smart footy brain and thinker but not always the best bloke. Would not surprise me at all if it blows up for him after 6 or 7 years as people do say he can wear you down after a while.
Taking out the personality aspect, I think he is more the bevo/macrae type coach rather than Chris Scott /Longmire type.
Their strength is nurturing and motivating the playing group and getting them all on same page and focusing on their own game. You rarely see these coaches put any work into opposition planning and in depth analysis like the the cats/swans. It's all about "our brand of footy".
I don't think these coaches have as much longevity because eventually the message gets stale and/or other teams work out your game plan. So you need to strike early in your tenure like bevo and macrae did to get the goodwill from fan base and the Board.
I'm really curious to see how hawks go next year. They will have a much tougher draw and teams will start to put some planning in to how to combat the run off half back like Port did yesterday but will hawks be able to overcome it? They do get day, barrass, battle and mitchell in to solidify some clear weaknesses yesterday. But is that enough?

The fact that Lewis and Hodge were commentating that was absolute gold. Lewis look so but hurt at the end. Bravo Kenny bravo.
athe same players that stood by Clarko coming out after the Sewell match and calling anyone involved with Essendon a campaigner and making throat gestures.

Short memories these blokes

The Lloyd Sewell incident was nowhere near as dirty as Dipper knocking out Stoneham, Dermie knocking out Vanda in final.

Anyway highlight of that ā€˜09 game was Hurley kicking four including a left footer from 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back