Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Petracca kicking 4 goals tonight… the difference between Melbourne winning and losing the game really. We are really lacking goals from midfield consistently and it definitely costs us 2-3 games a season if not rectified.
I’d love to see a stat on the amount of goals that come from midfielders in flag winning teams.

Petracca kicking 4 goals tonight… the difference between Melbourne winning and losing the game really. We are really lacking goals from midfield consistently and it definitely costs us 2-3 games a season if not rectified.
I’d love to see a stat on the amount of goals that come from midfielders in flag winning teams.
I agree in general (more goals from midfielders) but in fairness, Petracca spent a majority of the game lined up in the forward line. He wasn't kicking those goals while playing on ball.

I agree in general (more goals from midfielders) but in fairness, Petracca spent a majority of the game lined up in the forward line. He wasn't kicking those goals while playing on ball.
Yeah true but you can rotate him though and he’s dangerous in attack. If we have 6 or 7 guys that rotate through the middle at least one or two of them has got to be a scoreboard threat I50. People like Degoey, Shai Bolton, dusty Martin etc. I do think Brayshaw has gradually improved and is kicking maybe 0.5 goals a game now. If he could push that up to a goal a game next season it’s massive. Serong gets an odd one too but his problem is he’s a bit of a hack in front of goal and has little composure.
Johnson is showing some Good signs of being a David Mundy level goalkicker which would be great.
Totals from our mids so far in 2023:
Brayshaw - 9
Serong - 4
O’Meara - 5
Darcy - 4
Fyfe - 3
Aish - 3
Johnson - 2
Henry, NOD & Brodie - 1 each

It’s nowhere near enough for a group aiming to be a top end midfield.

We are not kicking enough goals as a team and Sonny is near the end, so the big question is - where are the goals going to come from over the next 4-5 years? Upgrades to small forwards? Improvements in our midfielders ability to kick them?
A combination of both maybe.
Adelaide landed Rankine last year to help in this area and I believe we need a similar level trade to keep up with them. The question is who?

Yeah true but you can rotate him though and he’s dangerous in attack. If we have 6 or 7 guys that rotate through the middle at least one or two of them has got to be a scoreboard threat I50. People like Degoey, Shai Bolton, dusty Martin etc. I do think Brayshaw has gradually improved and is kicking maybe 0.5 goals a game now. If he could push that up to a goal a game next season it’s massive. Serong gets an odd one too but his problem is he’s a bit of a hack in front of goal and has little composure.
Johnson is showing some Good signs of being a David Mundy level goalkicker which would be great.
Totals from our mids so far in 2023:
Brayshaw - 9
Serong - 4
O’Meara - 5
Darcy - 4
Fyfe - 3
Aish - 3
Johnson - 2
Henry, NOD & Brodie - 1 each

It’s nowhere near enough for a group aiming to be a top end midfield.

We are not kicking enough goals as a team and Sonny is near the end, so the big question is - where are the goals going to come from over the next 4-5 years? Upgrades to small forwards? Improvements in our midfielders ability to kick them?
A combination of both maybe.
Adelaide landed Rankine last year to help in this area and I believe we need a similar level trade to keep up with them. The question is who?

Jackson is the one you're thinking of, who plays mid and drifts forward for a goal or two.

Andrew Gaff might have the highest number of steps taken on the ground even if he doesn't cover even top ten numbers for kms.

Very short stride for a jog

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong toying with them. Getting lazy now and pissfarting around.

One of those teams we beat quite comfortable in the end. The other we really struggled against. If you weren’t a freo fan you’d be forgiven for thinking it was the other way around

One of those teams we beat quite comfortable in the end. The other we really struggled against. If you weren’t a freo fan you’d be forgiven for thinking it was the other way around
Losing against North in around 2 was the start of the rot , unforgivable loss .
I know I still haven’t recovered from it so maybe it’s the same with the players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back