Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 28 62.2%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The bigger question for me is how can North be this bad?

That is a great question.

They cut the list way too deep and in a manner which effected the existing players faith in the club. They went from the oldest list in 2016 to the second youngest in 2017, that would have given whiplash to the youngsters at the club.

In 2018 gave up pick 11 for Polec and Pittard which ended up being Jye Caldwell and picked up Tarryn Thomas at pick 8 which was an unmitigated disaster as they did not have the structure to support someone with his issues.

They gave up their 2019 top 10 pick to bring in Aiden Bonar and Josh Walker and the pick that they gave up ended up being.......

Caleb Serong.

On 2020 they ended up absolutely fingering their list by getting rid of 14 players. 14! Including Ben Brown who ended up playing in a premiership for Melbourne.

The less said about the appointments of Rhyce Shaw and David Noble the better but the whole footy department was in a shambles.

Jason Horne-Francis has a bad wrap for asking out but I don't blame him. The club was a mess.

As much as Alistair Clarkson is a Muppet I'm sure he is going to leave that place in a better place than when he got there but he is coming from a long way back.

That is a great question.

They cut the list way too deep and in a manner which effected the existing players faith in the club. They went from the oldest list in 2016 to the second youngest in 2017, that would have given whiplash to the youngsters at the club.

In 2018 gave up pick 11 for Polec and Pittard which ended up being Jye Caldwell and picked up Tarryn Thomas at pick 8 which was an unmitigated disaster as they did not have the structure to support someone with his issues.

They gave up their 2019 top 10 pick to bring in Aiden Bonar and Josh Walker and the pick that they gave up ended up being.......

Caleb Serong.

On 2020 they ended up absolutely fingering their list by getting rid of 14 players. 14! Including Ben Brown who ended up playing in a premiership for Melbourne.

The less said about the appointments of Rhyce Shaw and David Noble the better but the whole footy department was in a shambles.

Jason Horne-Francis has a bad wrap for asking out but I don't blame him. The club was a mess.

As much as Alistair Clarkson is a Muppet I'm sure he is going to leave that place in a better place than when he got there but he is coming from a long way back.
Yeah I'm really not sold on Clarko. His last few years at the Hawks were complete rubbish and he hasn't shown any different with North. The game's evolved, he's yet to show that he can.

I get what you are saying, but on exposed form over the last two months, and the last 20 years of finals, North are arguably better placed than Essendon.

Who we lost to.

Yeah I'm really not sold on Clarko. His last few years at the Hawks were complete rubbish and he hasn't shown any different with North. The game's evolved, he's yet to show that he can.
He doesn't have to be the Messiah. He just needs to have semblance of structure to bring the floor up.

North have been much better this year (unfortunately my FIL follows them so I watch them a bit).

I'm not sold on the Hawks currently, they need more talent to be a proper Premiership contender.

The list is getting better and holding on to Zurhar was a great thing for the club moving forward.

Norf really are a lesson to clubs like Richmond about what not to do.

Definitely better placed, but not a better team, not even close.
Yes, I agree on "better team" right now, especially "better talent" right now.

But Essendon's abysmal culture, track record of off field dramas and shite coaching is the longer term anchor that just makes Norf (and any other side) a better bet in the future 3 years.

Sorry, I should have been clearer

Yes, I agree on "better team" right now, especially "better talent" right now.

But Essendon's abysmal culture, track record of off field dramas and shite coaching is the longer term anchor that just makes Norf (and any other side) a better bet in the future 3 years.

Sorry, I should have been clearer

My response was the the crack of them beating us. It wasn't great but it's not nearly as bad as losing to North.

But yes, the Bombers desperately need to strip it back because they're treading water with the most beige list of all time never mind all the other stuff.

I was really opposed to having songs played post goal in AFL but hearing the whole crowd keep singing Country Roads after the recorded version has finished has kinda changed my mind. I'd hoped that us Aussies would get there organically but seems we need a bit of prompting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Hawks have got lightning in a bottle at the moment. Everyone on the same page, incredibly confident, like a gambler on a streak.

I’ll be very surprised if they don’t come back to earth a bit next year when teams have caught up to their style.

People saying oh we’re boring & playing with too much structure/system, it’s exactly that which means we can go with most sides now.

If we didn’t lose Pearce and either Darcy was fit or we rolled the dice on Reidy earlier we’d be playing finals.

Yeah I feel they're back to earth with a bump next year. Teams will put a lot of time into stopping their gameplan.

Speaking of which, I took solace from Chris Scott's comment that our gameplan was easy to scout but hard to stop.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

We got smashed by this eagles team haha amazing really.

But that's just it... we didn't. The difference between the eagles team that shows up to play us and the eagle team that rolls out every other week is astounding.

They can never again try use that taunt about the derbies being our grand finals after their pathetic displays this year. They even rested a bunch of senior players the week before to try load up against us. It's dead set embarrassing for them.

In all seriousness if West Coast remain this putrid for another 2 or 3 years that would take it up to around 6 years of being a basketcase.

There you start slowly losing a generation of supporters as kids these days don't want to go for a team that can't win a game.

Obivously there will be pressure from parents but those ones that ain't from hardcore footy families and are a swinging vote basically between WC and Freo this is the period where Freo can cash in.
1724510964725.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back