Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 31 59.6%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL would be hoping tomorrows games live up to the hype as the games so far this weekend have been horrendous.

Can someone who has watched the Hawks games this season explain to me why they are doing so well? Looks like our team is more talented but theirs is better coached or is there another explanation?

They also play with an incredible amount of freedom, interested to see how that goes in a final but **** it looks like a lot of fun.

They’ve been absolutely smacking teams post bye other than their loss to GWS and their win against us.

Average winning margin post bye is just shy of 65 points. Crazy

Can someone who has watched the Hawks games this season explain to me why they are doing so well? Looks like our team is more talented but theirs is better coached or is there another explanation?
THEY ARE BETTER COACHED

You live a peaceful life sir. I'm in Japan atm so I was pretty stress free after last week's disappointing result. If I was in Perth I definitely would have been admitted to the loony bin lol.
Japan & Egypt are our top 2 bucket list destinations
Have to make do with Bali at this stage.
All the best my man :)

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What does "more freedom" mean? So less coaching?

I'm confused by that term.
They look to the naked eye to move the ball with more freedom and dare, each player is basically given license to show their skill. That's just how it looks to me, where as Fremantle is a bit more rigid in their movement, safer if you will. Don't know which one will stand up in a final but the Hawks brand is super fun to watch and play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’ve been absolutely smacking teams post bye other than their loss to GWS and their win against us.

Average winning margin post bye is just shy of 65 points. Crazy
They lost to Geelong by like 50 though.

Honestly watching them it's their smalls that make the big difference.

Pretty sure I am going to tip the Hawks regardless of who they play week 1. Might hesitate on the Lions but they have their number recently (albeit in Vic).

Edit: they can't play the Lions unless they lose this week or Blues win by 100 or so. So I'll be tipping them.
If the right Bulldogs rock up I have faith in them beating Hawks. Hell, I'd even give us a good chance if we made it and got personnel back.

As Montagna pointed out, their gameplan has made a massive difference along with their forward line. When they win the ball back they spread to the wings, tall forwards go back deep, uses the entire width of the field. If you choke up the wing, they go back inside.

Add to that they have a lot of good runners, apply pressure and they have team buy-in. They have players from other clubs that are having their best season in the AFL, quite remarkable.

As Montagna pointed out, their gameplan has made a massive difference along with their forward line. When they win the ball back they spread to the wings, tall forwards go back deep, uses the entire width of the field. If you choke up the wing, they go back inside.

Add to that they have a lot of good runners, apply pressure and they have team buy-in. They have players from other clubs that are having their best season in the AFL, quite remarkable.
That's the best explanation I have read. Cheers for that. 👍

What a lovely day
Took wifey 2 the Queen vic markets
Walked the pooch along the Yarra, had a couple of beers at the Belgian beer Cafe
Came home 2 Mrs enjoying the terrace sized balcony (approx 5 x 3) & 10 floors up
Enjoyed some Coopers pale ale while doing some putting (balcony is covered with artificial grass) & listening 2 the cats vs evils game.
Mrs entertained the dog while enjoying our Buddha water feature

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I like it.

Small forwards have made a big difference.
Spread of scoring options is enormous which is something we lack, have typically always lacked. Only one true small forward in our team (Walters) who is long past his best.

To win premierships you generally need a huge spread of goalkickers.

I think the Hawks have got lightning in a bottle at the moment. Everyone on the same page, incredibly confident, like a gambler on a streak.

I’ll be very surprised if they don’t come back to earth a bit next year when teams have caught up to their style.

People saying oh we’re boring & playing with too much structure/system, it’s exactly that which means we can go with most sides now.

If we didn’t lose Pearce and either Darcy was fit or we rolled the dice on Reidy earlier we’d be playing finals.

The bigger question for me is how can North be this bad?

I think the Hawks have got lightning in a bottle at the moment. Everyone on the same page, incredibly confident, like a gambler on a streak.

I’ll be very surprised if they don’t come back to earth a bit next year when teams have caught up to their style.

People saying oh we’re boring & playing with too much structure/system, it’s exactly that which means we can go with most sides now.

If we didn’t lose Pearce and either Darcy was fit or we rolled the dice on Reidy earlier we’d be playing finals.

The bigger question for me is how can North be this bad?
The thing that strikes me about the Hawks is that every player is in form, at least it feels that way. Even the old dudes are turning back the clock.

Whereas you look at us and we've got multiple players a mile off their best. And some really important ones at that.

If they were top 4 I'd be on them for the flag but I agree there's a good chance it doesn't come together so well next year.

Reminds me of 2014 Port actually. Knocked us out in straight sets and were a kick or so off making the GF. Didn't get near it again until Covid. Port were a noted running side that year as well. I remember because I thought it was a big deal when we ran over them in the 4th quarter early in 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back