Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 31 59.6%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well this is just bizarre...

State Government steps in over controversial shark logo at redeveloped East Fremantle football facility​

A push from a local council for East Fremantle’s Shark logo to be barred from its new facility has been shut down by the State Government.
East Fremantle are yet to return to their redeveloped facility despite the $34m upgrades being completed earlier this year. The club has been without a home ground for the past two seasons.
The two parties have been unable to reach an agreement, with several sticking points holding up a deal for the club to use the facilities.
It is understood members of the Town of East Fremantle council didn’t want the Sharks logo displayed at the ground because it was seen as confronting for families at the nearby playground.
Speculation that the club wouldn’t be able to call themselves the “Sharks” was not correct and the The West Australian can confirm the government, who has stepped in to help negotiations between the two parties, has shut that request down and the club will be allow use the logo on the building.

It is understood members of the Town of East Fremantle council didn’t want the Sharks logo displayed at the ground because it was seen as confronting for families at the nearby playground.
They will also allow the club to have a mining company as a sponsor after the council also requested that they not be able to if they return to Shark Park.
It also believed the club is still hopeful that they will be able to display memorabilia in the club rooms after the council rejected the proposal because of the local cafe that has also been installed.
East Fremantle’s push for a fence to be built around the ground so entry fees can be charged on gamedays has already been rejected by the council.
Sources close to the negotiations believe they are not far off coming to an agreement under the supervision of the State Government.

The club is believed to have lost $500,000 over the past two seasons because of their lack of home ground and are desperate to return to their facilities to start making money again.
The Sharks even hosted Claremont at the Tigers’ own home ground on Sunday in an elimination final which they lost.
Sources have told The West while the ordeal has put a financial strain on the club they are not in danger of folding and will compete in the 2025 season.
East Fremantle Football Club declined to comment.

The Sharks are on the hunt for a new football boss after the experienced Brad Dodd departed to take up the role at Perth.
Meanwhile, the Sharks are on the hunt for a new football boss after the experienced Brad Dodd departed to take up the role at Perth.
Dodd will oversee the Demons football program after being instrumental in both their WAFL and WAFL premierships last season.

State Government steps in over controversial shark logo at redeveloped East Fremantle football facility​

A push from a local council for East Fremantle’s Shark logo to be barred from its new facility has been shut down by the State Government.
East Fremantle are yet to return to their redeveloped facility despite the $34m upgrades being completed earlier this year. The club has been without a home ground for the past two seasons.
The two parties have been unable to reach an agreement, with several sticking points holding up a deal for the club to use the facilities.
Speculation that the club wouldn’t be able to call themselves the “Sharks” was not correct and the The West Australian can confirm the government, who has stepped in to help negotiations between the two parties, has shut that request down and the club will be allow use the logo on the building.

They will also allow the club to have a mining company as a sponsor after the council also requested that they not be able to if they return to Shark Park.
It also believed the club is still hopeful that they will be able to display memorabilia in the club rooms after the council rejected the proposal because of the local cafe that has also been installed.
East Fremantle’s push for a fence to be built around the ground so entry fees can be charged on gamedays has already been rejected by the council.
Sources close to the negotiations believe they are not far off coming to an agreement under the supervision of the State Government.

The club is believed to have lost $500,000 over the past two seasons because of their lack of home ground and are desperate to return to their facilities to start making money again.
The Sharks even hosted Claremont at the Tigers’ own home ground on Sunday in an elimination final which they lost.
Sources have told The West while the ordeal has put a financial strain on the club they are not in danger of folding and will compete in the 2025 season.

The Sharks are on the hunt for a new football boss after the experienced Brad Dodd departed to take up the role at Perth.
Meanwhile, the Sharks are on the hunt for a new football boss after the experienced Brad Dodd departed to take up the role at Perth.
Dodd will oversee the Demons football program after being instrumental in both their WAFL and WAFL premierships last season.

There is a big dispute between the council and the club, because the club wants to install a fence and charge entry fee on game days, and the council is refusing and saying the oval should be freely accessible to members of the public, even on East Freo game days. The fight has devolved and now the council is causing issues with every single thing they can. They don't actually care about the logo or the mining sponsorship

There is a big dispute between the council and the club, because the club wants to install a fence and charge entry fee on game days, and the council is refusing and saying the oval should be freely accessible to members of the public, even on East Freo game days. The fight has devolved and now the council is being petty and incredibly obstinate to the club on every single thing they can. They don't actually care about the logo or the mining sponsorship
Unless the council compensates EF for lost gate takings, I can't see how that could work.

There is a big dispute between the council and the club, because the club wants to install a fence and charge entry fee on game days, and the council is refusing and saying the oval should be freely accessible to members of the public, even on East Freo game days. The fight has devolved and now the council is causing issues with every single thing they can. They don't actually care about the logo or the mining sponsorship
How does that work for security reasons alone?

I get a fence isn't the prettiest thing, but is a necessity.

Unless the council compensates EF for lost gate takings, I can't see how that could work.

I've heard (second hand) that the line the council is taking is that due to the expanded facilities they expect more people to come and spend money on food and drink and the club can take money from that.

I don't see how it's going to work

Surely you'd think the football club would have had these details locked away before they agreed to vacate to allow the redevelopment. I believe the phrase is "due diligence".

East Freo typically gets the gold medal for parking fines in this city beating out Stirling and Perth for the lesser podium finishes. Surely they have more than enough money to cover the missed gate takings. They'll probably make it just from the fines issued around the ground before the game is even over which they can pass onto the sharks, plus there will be some extra for their donut run on Monday mornings. I don't see how this can't be a win win.

I do wonder if the council is regretting saying anything about the logo now it's been picked up in the news as some culture war thing
Someone from East Perth needs to put a great big baby shark sticker up over it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I for one look forward to South Fremantle being at the bottom for many years to come, less competition for Swans.
Nah, in and around finals should have Suma primed for the next West Coast opening in a few years

When talks about the redevelopment began the rumour I heard was that because it was going to be all open, Moss Street would be compensated for lost gate takings by the Government. The only games they could put up temporary fencing for were Derby's and finals games.

Whether or not that happens is another matter.

When talks about the redevelopment began the rumour I heard was that because it was going to be all open, Moss Street would be compensated for lost gate takings by the Government. The only games they could put up temporary fencing for were Derby's and finals games.

Whether or not that happens is another matter.
Temp fencing for specific games sounds stupid expensive and a terrible idea

How does that work for security reasons alone?

I get a fence isn't the prettiest thing, but is a necessity.
This is not an issue happening in isolation. Something similar has already been played out at Leederville Oval and Litis Stadium. I'm sure it has elsewhere too, this is just the area where I happen to live. Without going into the details of what happened there the upshot of the general trend around town is I'd say there is absolutely no way East Freo will get the whole facility fenced off with a new fence allowing exclusive use. They'll have to make their money (which in fairness probably every club except Swanies get 90% of their money from anyway) from charging entry to the stand.

If the council is not allowing them to a) create an exclusive use area in and around the stand game day b) allowing at least low fencing to demarcate the playing area*, then they are probably not being reasonable. Flip side everyone will need to get their heads around the idea that most local authorities are not going to subsidize traditional semi professional sports to extent they used to anymore: I.E. No more exclusive use of council owned and maintained property. You'll have to cut a deal.

*We'll see if this current fashion survives the first court case after a dog walker gets donged in the head with ball eh?

Last edited:
If these clubs don't have to buy the land they play on because it's seen as a community amenity then they shouldn't be able to seize it for their own personal gain. If the club owns the land and wasn't granted it from government, or wasn't granted bulk cash to build things there, then they can exclude the general public from the community space.

Council have been well and truly taking the piss

It's ****en ridiculous

(I work in LG) - seeing it play out where both sides internally... they always deliberately murky the waters, I strongly suspect East Freo have flexed their muscles a tad when East Freo the club asked for things in addition to what was already agreed to.

The culture wars nonsense is water off a duck's back, it's forgotten about in two weeks. They would have done that to show the decision makers at the club they hold the power to influence even on something as silly as a Shark logo.

The whole point of the revamp wasn't to build a facility to gift to a semi-professional football club, it was to activate a prime parcel of land with amenities that could benefit the entire community. There's a win-win in there, but I suspect it's not playing out that way.

Also surprised that the Dockers were never considerations to do a Cockburn style upgrade of the place.

Finals Footy starts tonight, let's go.....checks notes The Port Adelaide Power Football Club.
Thats Not Right Youre Wrong GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back