Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 31 59.6%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course there's all sorts of potential unforseen snags to scuttle a season (oh Treacy, Treacy, Treacy), but enough goes right and we should be primed to tear a hole through the comp next year.

In some ways it's dealing with the uncontrollable that separates the great from good coaches. But what Longmuir has done with such a young team this year (and previous) should not be dismissed lightly.

Agreed, he did get a fair bit right this year. Those uncontrollable snags really did compound his/the team's flaws though.

The good vs great coach is very relevant too, especially looking at our current situation compared to Port's. Hinkley's a far better coach than Longmuir (at this point) but I'd much rather a mediocre coach who shows they're not up to it relatively quickly over someone who's good but clearly not good enough.

I think it can be lost following Freo but like, this AFL thing is a hobby for fun remember...

It's why I particularly don't understand those that purely say negative things and disappear from here when things are good, like, why? What enjoyment are you getting out of sport...

I think it can be lost following Freo but like, this AFL thing is a hobby for fun remember...
Entertainment.

Poor casting choices. Stupid end of season cliff hangers.

Surprise cross over events.

Weird writing decisions.

Port just continually bombed into the Cats defense, Rozee the biggest culprit (head down, just on the boot)
Agree, but this was also largely due to the midfield pressure that the cats put Port under. Port entries were useless. Their defenders also crowded space well around the key targets. Port weren't spreading well enough and their forwards werent reactive enough. All a bit of chicken and egg stuff.

Port also had good pressure early, but this was where Geelong's fleet of smalls, combined with Jeremy Cameron who is a tall who plays like a small, was such a weapon. Geelong's crumbing up forward and ability to nail half chances was where the game was initially won.

This is the classic example of where Fremantle kick ourselves - we don't nail our half chances. Easier said than done, and like Chris Scott said, you do need a bit of luck, but ultimately you need to create your own luck a bit. When we missed easy goals in games this year it really deflates confidence which makes taking half chances even harder.

It's why I particularly don't understand those that purely say negative things and disappear from here when things are good, like, why? What enjoyment are you getting out of sport...
I get you, but not many hobbies stir the emotions like Sport and in particular AFL.

I dont get half as razzed up when playing Uno with the kids, or sitting down to strum the guitar. Emotions cloud and crowd this game! but you make a good point, it's nice to step back a bit and just admit, hey it's just a game, why do we take it so serious....... but then a budgies fan says something stupid and blood pressure rises again........

I get you, but not many hobbies stir the emotions like Sport and in particular AFL.

I dont get half as razzed up when playing Uno with the kids, or sitting down to strum the guitar. Emotions cloud and crowd this game! but you make a good point, it's nice to step back a bit and just admit, hey it's just a game, why do we take it so serious....... but then a budgies fan says something stupid and blood pressure rises again........
Oh yeah, venting is a required part of following sport. We invest a lot emotionally and sometime fiscally as well but we do sometimes lose the forest for the tree's in the main point of the hobby

I'm the opposite - I'm here when there's great discussions to be and about the team and how we are going, and I disappear when the keyboard warriors and flogs dominate. Biggest gear to grind is the assertion than 'negativity = realism' as if their reality is the only objective experience. Much better things to do with my time than come here to bitch and moan. I admire poshman's positivity thread and willingness to point out we get to choose what experience we want to have as supporters, even when the team bombs.

In short - love you all, here for the good chats (and hopefully some good times as well)

Bloody hell, a dynasty because they have won one game by one point. Embarrassing stuff even by the low standards of that grubby publication.
It definitely does seem like going early particularly when you add in 10 scoring shots to 14, 25 to 34 i50 and -10 clearances.

Although given the clubs overall record was 8-37 prior to this match (at a % of less than 50 I'm guessing without checking in depth. Perhaps unsurprisingly the table in their wiki entry omits all details other than the bare minimum.), scraping a home win when you should have lost does qualify as a vast cultural improvement.

All well and good talking about being rational until next minute - Carlton sneak in to a prelim at the G against Geelong having only made the finals because of us.
Imagine if they won the flag after the way they limped into finals at our expense?!

I think the entire Fremantle BF board would fall if that happens!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All well and good talking about being rational until next minute - Carlton sneak in to a prelim at the G against Geelong having only made the finals because of us.
Imagine if they won the flag after the way they limped into finals at our expense?!

I would personally find the servers and take an axe to them.

Taika Waititi Free Guy style.

Quite the opposite, I propose being irrational to find some happiness.

Rationally we should have all gotten off this ride a long time ago

fmd just seen how much the score blew out.

The scary thing is that Geelong aren't even that good.
I don't think any team is that good this year. We have blown a massive opportunity to pull off something similar to what Hawthorn did in 2008 and pinch one early.

Anyway time to head to the G. See what this Hok-ball is like up close.

I think the dogs will get it done tonight. If the hawks small forward brigade get going though it could be interesting
I think Day is a big out considering the midfield they're up against, praying it's enough to kick em out so I don't have to hear about Hawks anymore

Last edited:
Agreed, he did get a fair bit right this year. Those uncontrollable snags really did compound his/the team's flaws though.

The good vs great coach is very relevant too, especially looking at our current situation compared to Port's. Hinkley's a far better coach than Longmuir (at this point) but I'd much rather a mediocre coach who shows they're not up to it relatively quickly over someone who's good but clearly not good enough.
I dunno. Again, average age (ie with roughly 24.5yo being the critical tipping point) is one of the biggest needle shifters I've seen on W/L. Us losing experienced players constantly hasn't helped. So this is where the cattle question might cloud the waters separating them.

For what it's worth I would say strategically Longmuir is right up there and well above Hinkley. While Hinkley is a better salesman for attracting cattle and possible making them feel good about themselves. Would be a good one two punch now that I think about it.

They certainly looked self assured in that last quarter against us, but I don’t think the gap is that far to bridge. Make the below changes and we’re likely so far in front at 3/4 time they give up:
Tabs < Darcy
Voss < Treacy
Draper < Pearce (Draper played better than Cox, but a fit Cox is still ahead in the pecking order)
Banfield < Bolton
But no team goes through a season without missing key players at times due to injury. Good teams find a way. Coulda shoulda woulda's are just excuses. I know he's past it but the Cats did that without Hawkins Stewart and DK.

I do not subscribe to the "we suck so can't make fun of anyone" thing. I think that's rubbish and boring. So long as you can laugh at yourself when its returned serve, spread the misery I say.

Also, you've mentioned the Geelong thing a few times, yes, they are the best run club in the AFL. No one thinks we are them, no club is.
West Coast still think they're the best run club in the AFL. That kind of hubris will never die.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back