Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 31 59.6%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe but Ken is up to 12 years, that's a long way away
Absolutely but whilst I agree the Ken/port situation is next level(totally unique really) and there is a lot of water to go under the bridge yet ,it’s not too much of an assumption to make we could be 8 years in with jlo and still not even a gf appearance to show but enough finals appearance to keep getting an extension ,then all of sudden the 12 year time frame is getting a lot closer…

💯 %

This is what good teams do, just find a away meanwhile freo and jlo just find more excuses
We had a perfect injury list apart from Darcy (who was injured start of season anyway) and Cox (who also was unfit/underdone pre season anyway).

Only one was Pearce then Treacy.

Still enough depth to cover. Just didn’t use the right players as depth.
Reidy for Darcy ASAP.
At least try Jackson at CHB, change it around. Voss is more than capable.

Absolutely but whilst I agree the Ken/port situation is next level(totally unique really) and there is a lot of water to go under the bridge yet ,it’s not too much of an assumption to make we could be 8 years in with jlo and still not even a gf appearance to show but enough finals appearance to keep getting an extension ,then all of sudden the 12 year time frame is getting a lot closer…
I don't reckon we'd cop multiple home finals beltings and have JL persist. Its nuts that its happened like 4 times and he's still there.

We're more likely to be a Lions type where the coach doesn't seem able to get the most out of a great group.

Last edited:
If we didn’t make finals in 2010 we would have a couple of flags in the bank by now.

Steve’s wanted to sack Harvey and appoint Scott but couldn’t after 2010. Rest is history.
Shit.
Losing Scott was a huge disappointment.
Harvey was never going to be a good coach. Tactician of a wet noodle. Personality of a sloth.

I don't reckon we'd cop multiple home finals beltings and have JL persist. Its nuts that its happened like 5 times and he's still there.

We're more likely to be a Lions type where the coach doesn't seem able to get the most out of a great group.
What do you do ?

He got them 8 home finals. Fremantle only ever have had 6 home finals- ever.

Port play better away. V Fremantle 2014. Nearly Hawthorn the week after.
Richmond in 2015 I think.

It’s a toxic culture. It’s the anti West Coast. They’re easy to beat at home. Players don’t take pressure well.
Fans expect them to win eveurhing
Whereas West Coast at home during finals- hardest trip in AFL tbh.

Curious to hear what Hinkley fanboy Gerard Whateley has to say about this performance
or all of the footy media that was rather smug at port's turnaround after the fans were all booing him

But you lose every time? Hardly much fun and it's completely different to a one off.
Fyfe would love to play for Port and Ken. He hasn’t played in a final for 10 years, if Fremantle make it next season.
He was only 24 since he last make it. 24! He has wasted his prime with the club.

Apples and oranges.

Geelong finals haven’t been great. Just glossed over with some flukey/incredible wins of late.

What do you do ?

It’s a toxic culture. It’s the anti West Coast. They’re easy to beat at home. Players don’t take pressure well.
Not sure this is true, I'm not looking it up but I am pretty sure their finals record is **** everywhere. 2014 was basically the origin of this gameplan. It hasn't worked that well since bar maybe Covid.

The culture is definitely toxic though. Absolutely in the players heads.

What do you do ?

he's been there for 12 years, any issue with the culture at this point i don't think he can escape from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't reckon we'd cop multiple home finals beltings and have JL persist. Its nuts that its happened like 5 times and he's still there.

You d certainly hope the board would act if that was the case

As for your second paragraph I agree and was actually going to reference the lions in that post but again that’s kinda the worry isn’t it ?, bit better results over the journey but same outcome?

And until last year the lions basically were just like port minus the beltings.

However it’s unlikely they get that far again and you’d have to say that’s their run done for majority of that squad.

I mean it’s great ragging on port and Ken for choking it up again but considering how we finished the season off and missed out on valuable finals experience I can see a very similar situation developing here unless we manage top 4 and a pre lim next year

Also worth noting both are non vic teams.

Not sure this is true, I'm not looking it up but I am pretty sure their finals record is **** everywhere. 2014 was basically the origin of this gameplan. It hasn't worked that well since bar maybe Covid.

The culture is definitely toxic though. Absolutely in the players heads.
Played 13. Win 5, loss 8.
It was solid initially but haven’t won since 2021.

It’s a toxic culture. It’s not like Port’s past was incredibly fortunate and winning.
Williams choked 2001-2004. Just scrape through to 04 GF by a kick.
To then have the same players in that flag squad- Treadea the main guy- to just go after Ken is cute. The same players that choked multiple home finals, finishing on top.

It’s all set up for the acclaimed successor Josh Carr to fail. Hope it does.

We had a perfect injury list apart from Darcy (who was injured start of season anyway) and Cox (who also was unfit/underdone pre season anyway).

Reidy for Darcy ASAP.
Did you not watch Reidy get towelled up by Sweet in the last game?

Reidy for Darcy ASAP.

Voss is miles off AFL key forward standard

Voss is miles off AFL key forward standard
It’s about depth.
Give a youngster a chance, and Geelong gave it to Neale.

Treacy has barely played 50 games.

Actually Voss had more impact the last two rounds than Jackson. Who’s miles off key forward standard then?

Shows how gutless our side is Longmuir's record against Hinkley is 1 win 5 losses.

Port roll over as much as anyone when the heat is on.

Do we own anyone in this competition seriously.

Port's display makes our meek final game loss look even more pathetic tbh.

You d certainly hope the board would act if that was the case

As for your second paragraph I agree and was actually going to reference the lions in that post but again that’s kinda the worry isn’t it ?, bit better results over the journey but same outcome?

And until last year the lions basically were just like port minus the beltings.

However it’s unlikely they get that far again and you’d have to say that’s their run done for majority of that squad.

I mean it’s great ragging on port and Ken for choking it up again but considering how we finished the season off and missed out on valuable finals experience I can see a very similar situation developing here unless we manage top 4 and a pre lim next year

Also worth noting both are non vic teams.
There's always the risk. The problem with good lists is that average coaches can do enough to linger for ages.

I think Voss is the most obvious example of this,

If you go back through it, it’s actually crazy how whenever he was out of contract or under pressure, Port went on to have a good H&A season. Then as soon as he’s re-signed, they go to shit. No wonder Port fans have gone insane
Yeah, they finished first in 2020, second in 2021, third in 2023 and second last year. Not a single GF appearance from four top three finishes in five years.
80 points, 80 points in a home qualifier. I'm sorry, y'all are cooked if you'd want this. Finals or not.

At least for Port fans this has to be the final straw this season
You’re presenting a false dichotomy and coping for the fact we missed finals. I’d much rather be in Port’s position since 2020 than ours.

The other side of last nights result is that of the Cats games I’ve seen this year, they have never looked particularly dangerous. But now in a very open season they have put themselves in the box seat to win another premiership. As it stood in round 20, third place was ours for the taking, and had we not bottled it, we’d be potentially looking at a home prelim ourselves.

Instead we’re on the outside looking in, afraid we’d be Port instead thinking we should be Geelong

Last edited:
We are in no position to be laughing at Port.
Justin Longmuir is Ken Hinckley’s bitch. He owns him nearly every time.

As for Geelong - they operate in a different league altogether to ourselves or even port. That’s not a vintage cats side but yet they show up week 1 of finals with amazingly clean skills, brilliant self belief, smart coaching moves to counteract opposition strengths and great execution under pressure.
It was obvious the day we played them at Optus a month ago that in the final quarter, one team was a serious football club and the other was just a mentally fragile side lacking belief that retread into their collective shells.

We have just as much talent as Geelong but when it comes to all those other things I mentioned we are not even remotely in the same conversation as them. Most club aren’t admittedly, and we most certainly are not.

Those are the facts and I think waiting for our players to just get a year older and adding an extra bit of talent to the list while all the other factors remain exactly the same, is HIGHLY unlikely to be enough to bridge the gap sadly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Back