Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I could watch this stuff all day

This "lengthening" of the field is crucial... You need your deepest forward to be as far forward as possible without his opponent thinking he can zone off against him. This can be a bit of cat and mouse to determine where this point actually is, and can also vary based on the game situation. For example, given Carlton were losing, late in the game Weitering would have positioned himself far higher up the ground, closer to the contest, trying to force an intercept further up the ground.

But all else being equal, lengthening the ground gives all your other players forward of the ball (high half forwards etc) way more room to lead into. You still have to time your leads properly... We routinely time ours all wrong, if we even come back to the kicker at all. Often we just keep charging back towards goal 🤦 And then when we do come back to the kicker, we usually go way too early, whereas in this clip they are perfectly timed and there is that much space you can't possibly miss them.

But often we don't even do that. Too often it looks like our thought process is "why would I want to run down to the goal square while the ball is on the wing? He can't kick it 90 metres". This is where we need to realise it's not about ME getting the ball, it's about creating space for others.

Unfortunately we seem to have players in our forward line for whom playing selflessly is not the first thought, if it's thought of at all. And THEN, if all else fails, you can still lead back towards the ball carrier, which makes you a much easier target to hit than when you're running back with the flight.

And of course, to get that much space in the first place between the ball carrier and the receiver it certainly helps if you're able to move the ball quickly and accurately, as Geelong did yesterday.

Sorry this post was meant to be a celebration of Geelong's play from yesterday but the more of it I watched the more I saw things they do that we don't, and it frustrates the heck out of me.

Running and spreading is not in our current playing style, everyone tries to intercept and then trundles along until it reaches the back half where some close checking poor defender is battling away / gasping for air, trying desperately to stop his direct forward from marking the ball.

I could watch this stuff all day

This "lengthening" of the field is crucial... You need your deepest forward to be as far forward as possible without his opponent thinking he can zone off against him. This can be a bit of cat and mouse to determine where this point actually is, and can also vary based on the game situation. For example, given Carlton were losing, late in the game Weitering would have positioned himself far higher up the ground, closer to the contest, trying to force an intercept further up the ground.

But all else being equal, lengthening the ground gives all your other players forward of the ball (high half forwards etc) way more room to lead into. You still have to time your leads properly... We routinely time ours all wrong, if we even come back to the kicker at all. Often we just keep charging back towards goal And then when we do come back to the kicker, we usually go way too early, whereas in this clip they are perfectly timed and there is that much space you can't possibly miss them.

But often we don't even do that. Too often it looks like our thought process is "why would I want to run down to the goal square while the ball is on the wing? He can't kick it 90 metres". This is where we need to realise it's not about ME getting the ball, it's about creating space for others.

Unfortunately we seem to have players in our forward line for whom playing selflessly is not the first thought, if it's thought of at all. And THEN, if all else fails, you can still lead back towards the ball carrier, which makes you a much easier target to hit than when you're running back with the flight.

And of course, to get that much space in the first place between the ball carrier and the receiver it certainly helps if you're able to move the ball quickly and accurately, as Geelong did yesterday.

Sorry this post was meant to be a celebration of Geelong's play from yesterday but the more of it I watched the more I saw things they do that we don't, and it frustrates the heck out of me.
I think if frustrates you because they are playing well and as everyone knows we are not.
The Cat's struggled last year due to form and injuries.
This is us so far this year.
However I think a good run of wins starting with the Sun's game could get us into a better position than Geelong did last year.
The apparent easier games are coming up then we get Ashcroft back. No further injuries to important players will help
The main reason I say this is the competition is fairly even at present. A bit more so than last year I think.

It is later in the year that teams start to experiment with other players when the season looks lost.
Hopefully that's not the Lions.

On Lenovo TB-X606F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think if frustrates you because they are playing well and as everyone knows we are not.
The Cat's struggled last year due to form and injuries.
This is us so far this year.
However I think a good run of wins starting with the Sun's game could get us into a better position than Geelong did last year.
The apparent easier games are coming up then we get Ashcroft back. No further injuries to important players will help
The main reason I say this is the competition is fairly even at present. A bit more so than last year I think.

It is later in the year that teams start to experiment with other players when the season looks lost.
Hopefully that's not the Lions.

It's interesting to hear people talk about Geelong's "struggles" last year. Yes they lost too many games to make the finals but they still had a % of 112.6 and an average score of over 90, well above average. They couldn't defend but had very little trouble scoring. On many metrics they actually performed pretty well last year.

We're the opposite: our defence is okay but we can't score. The problem is that this becomes a double whammy... We can't score and then we can't lock the ball in our forward zone either, so it slingshots down the other end at such a rate that it doesn't matter how good our defence is, there's very little they can do about it.

This also means we are bloody ugly to watch right now. To me this can often be a sign that a team's attacking method is out of date and in need of overhaul. Some classic recent examples are GWS 2022, Collingwood 2021, even West Coast 2021-2. At least when Geelong were losing last year their games were still entertaining most of the time.

It's interesting to hear people talk about Geelong's "struggles" last year. Yes they lost too many games to make the finals but they still had a % of 112.6 and an average score of over 90, well above average. They couldn't defend but had very little trouble scoring. On many metrics they actually performed pretty well last year.

We're the opposite: our defence is okay but we can't score. The problem is that this becomes a double whammy... We can't score and then we can't lock the ball in our forward zone either, so it slingshots down the other end at such a rate that it doesn't matter how good our defence is, there's very little they can do about it.

This also means we are bloody ugly to watch right now. To me this can often be a sign that a team's attacking method is out of date and in need of overhaul. Some classic recent examples are GWS 2022, Collingwood 2021, even West Coast 2021-2. At least when Geelong were losing last year their games were still entertaining most of the time.
Looking for some positives going into the Sun's game.

Our percentage is 94% no reason a few good wins and we get that moving in the right direction.
We have been the best scoring team for a few years.
That part of our game has to improve.

Fagan mentioned Charlie had an interrupted preseason and his goal scoring and confidence is down as a result.
Our four mostly stay at home forwards are Jo, Charlie, Hippy and Linc.
In the first 7 games last year those 4 kicked 56 goals to only the 39 this year. A difference of 17. Charlie is down 12 of those.
Zorko and Rayner with newish roles this year so can't compare really.
Jo 16 (12 this year), Charlie 22 (10), Hippy 12 (9), Linc 6 (8).
So we need Charlie to regain form from that group.
We have also played 4 of the equal top 4 teams in the competition in those 7 games.

The big issue is our lack of a 4 quarter effort. That has to be improved.

I've noticed that particularly.

We're not good to watch in most games this year. And not just because we're losing.

Looking for some positives going into the Sun's game.

Our percentage is 94% no reason a few good wins and we get that moving in the right direction.
We have been the best scoring team for a few years.
That part of our game has to improve.

Fagan mentioned Charlie had an interrupted preseason and his goal scoring and confidence is down as a result.
Our four mostly stay at home forwards are Jo, Charlie, Hippy and Linc.
In the first 7 games last year those 4 kicked 56 goals to only the 39 this year. A difference of 17. Charlie is down 12 of those.
Zorko and Rayner with newish roles this year so can't compare really.
Jo 16 (12 this year), Charlie 22 (10), Hippy 12 (9), Linc 6 (8).
So we need Charlie to regain form from that group.
We have also played 4 of the equal top 4 teams in the competition in those 7 games.

The big issue is our lack of a 4 quarter effort. That has to be improved.

When the new king Morris debuts and dominates, we will be akin to a sleeping giant waking up. It's time 😎

What’s the issue with the Swans Wicks that teammates don’t congratulate him after kicking goals. Did something happen that the media aren’t disclosing?

What’s the issue with the Swans Wicks that teammates don’t congratulate him after kicking goals. Did something happen that the media aren’t disclosing?
It's all detailed on the Scandals & Rumours board.

Allegedly he's involved with another player's ex-partner, and somehow the playing group are mad at him? To be clear - it's the ex-partner.

But in this case it's a bit of a blow up over nothing. The goal was a walk-in goal in a blow out (30 points up at that point in the second quarter). They got around him for his first goal.

Allegedly he's involved with another player's ex-partner, and somehow the playing group are mad at him? To be clear - it's the ex-partner.

But in this case it's a bit of a blow up over nothing. The goal was a walk-in goal in a blow out (30 points up at that point in the second quarter). They got around him for his first goal.
Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit, surely the media wouldn't embellish and selectively edit a story for clicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This round has snuck up on me! Updated seeds ahead of Anzac Day Eve footy...

#1 - Western Bulldogs (up from #4... Still not convinced about this!)
#2 - Sydney (with a bullet)
#3 - Melbourne (down from #1)
#4 - Port Adelaide (looks like a lot of games got recalibrated last weekend... so Port lose a game they were expected to win yet they come into the seeds :shrug: )

Dropping out is us (we are now #12) and Freo (#14)

West Coast have shot up to #9!

I think these are going to settle down over the next few weeks but for now there is a fair bit of flux. I'll be interested to see how the form of these so called "top" sides holds up.
Updated seeds after Round 7. Starting to settle down a bit now

#1 - Sydney (up from #2. #3 for attack, #6 for defence)
#2 - Western Bulldogs (down from #1. Still not convinced! #1 for attack, #9 for defence)
#3 - Melbourne (no change. #9 for attack, #2 for defence)
#4 - GWS (first time in the seeds. #4 for attack, #10 for defence)

Port drop back to #5 despite their win over St Kilda. 2nd in attack, 14th in defence.

We have somehow risen to #7! 15th in attack, 3rd in defence. Altho there is very little separating 6th (St Kilda: 16th in attack, 1st in defence) from 14th (Essendon: 7th in attack, 15th in defence) right now. Throw a blanket over them.

The top 4 in attack are all listed above, as are 3 of the top 4 in defence. The other top 4 defensive team is Freo: 12th overall, 14th in attack, 4th in defence.

Updated seeds after Round 7. Starting to settle down a bit now

#1 - Sydney (up from #2. #3 for attack, #6 for defence)
#2 - Western Bulldogs (down from #1. Still not convinced! #1 for attack, #9 for defence)
#3 - Melbourne (no change. #9 for attack, #2 for defence)
#4 - GWS (first time in the seeds. #4 for attack, #10 for defence)

Port drop back to #5 despite their win over St Kilda. 2nd in attack, 14th in defence.

We have somehow risen to #7! 15th in attack, 3rd in defence. Altho there is very little separating 6th (St Kilda: 16th in attack, 1st in defence) from 14th (Essendon: 7th in attack, 15th in defence) right now. Throw a blanket over them.

The top 4 in attack are all listed above, as are 3 of the top 4 in defence. The other top 4 defensive team is Freo: 12th overall, 14th in attack, 4th in defence.

I think the equal favourites at the moment have to be Sydney, Geelong and GWS.

Carlton sit by themselves slightly below.

You need to put down your crack pipe on the dogs!

I think the equal favourites at the moment have to be Sydney, Geelong and GWS.

Carlton sit by themselves slightly below.

You need to put down your crack pipe on the dogs!
I think you are right haha

The silver lining is it means my model has high expectations for the Dogs. So if they are not met they theoretically should come down in my ratings. And it has them beating Hawthorn by 72 points this weekend.

Which to be fair actually could happen!

If you're interested please tune in to Master Houdini Anderson trying to get Higgins off for the Aliir tackle.

"are you serious now?
are you REALLY REALLY serious now?"
"I was stiff" as the headline? That's a bold choice for any excuse, my wife never buys it.

Good thing Anderson does his best work for all his clients:

"Adrian Anderson says he has a couple of points in response to the AFL's couple of points.

Tribunal Chair Renee Enbom: "You'll have to be quick Mr. Anderson, this hearing has nearly been going for an hour and 45 minutes.""

Good thing Anderson does his best work for all his clients:

"Adrian Anderson says he has a couple of points in response to the AFL's couple of points.

Tribunal Chair Renee Enbom: "You'll have to be quick Mr. Anderson, this hearing has nearly been going for an hour and 45 minutes.""

1 hour 30 minutes + deliberation.

Anderson has achieved his objective !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back