North Ballarat v Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I need to weigh this up with your perceived footy smarts.

Aren't you one of the blokes that used to serially shit can Drew Petrie?

I questioned his place in the side when he was in that atrocious run of form through 2005 and 2006, yet was continually picked.

The Petrie of today is a completely different player and it's a credit to his workrate and professionalism that this is the case.

Yeah did read that CC, but assumed bc we had named an extended bench for Syd that he'd just been named by mistake.
Any idea how he played today then? :confused face thingy:

Players named on the extended bench for the seniors are usually also named on the extended bench for the VFL sides.

I think it's pretty fair to state that Josh Smith has similar statistics to Drew at the same age, wouldn't you agree?

**** it's like arguing with a brick wall. It's got nothing to do with statistics.

Josh Smith is not even close to the athlete Petrie is. He's significantly slower, less agile and doesn't have the contested marking ability. Petrie is still very good when the ball hits the deck too.

I don't doubt Smith's football smarts, or his work rate or anything like that. But there is a reason he dominates the VFL, and it's because the game is much, much slower and these things don't matter nearly as much.

Every time he has played AFL football his lack of speed and agility have stood out. He is a non-factor when the ball hits the deck. Yet when he predictably goes back and gets 20 touches or kicks a bag in the VFL, it's the same bleating for him to be given a go.

Can you name me anyone in the AFL of his size that excels without speed or agility? All gorilla forwards have at least one of the two, while even bulky defenders like Rutten, Lake and Merrett are very quick off the mark.

**** it's like arguing with a brick wall. It's got nothing to do with statistics.

Josh Smith is not even close to the athlete Petrie is. He's significantly slower, less agile and doesn't have the contested marking ability. Petrie is still very good when the ball hits the deck too.

I don't doubt Smith's football smarts, or his work rate or anything like that. But there is a reason he dominates the VFL, and it's because the game is much, much slower and these things don't matter nearly as much.

Every time he has played AFL football his lack of speed and agility have stood out. He is a non-factor when the ball hits the deck. Yet when he predictably goes back and gets 20 touches or kicks a bag in the VFL, it's the same bleating for him to be given a go.

Can you name me anyone in the AFL of his size that excels without speed or agility? All gorilla forwards have at least one of the two, while even bulky defenders like Rutten, Lake and Merrett are very quick off the mark.

I think it's a bit unfair to label him slow when he hasn't been given a slightly extended run at AFL level for him to adjust to the "upgrade in pace" as you would call it. Saying AFL is faster can actually work in favour for a player like Smith because he has never been given a chance to adjust to the game.

Remember the idiots shit canning Levi after his first few games, "too slow, no awareness", now he is one of our favourites. I'm sure there are more examples.

When the opportunity arrives, Josh should be given at least 5-8 games in a row so that he can adjust to AFL level, so we can really assess him. I know I'd struggle having to adjust to the pace of AFL level, only to be dropped to the VFL where I have to alter the way I play to suit that level, then get the odd go at AFL level again, then be thrown back to VFL level.

There's no doubt he's in danger to be delisted but I feel we should get a proper chance to assess him before we make these calls, no one dominates VFL level like that and doesn't have the ability to at least be serviceable at AFL level.

/Rant.

If any of you thought that AFL reporting was shocking then wait until you check this out:

IT was one of the bravest performances of the season as the Gold Coast Football Club pushed VFL ladder leaders North Ballarat all the way in arctic conditions at Eureka Stadiums today.

The GCFC were hard at the contest for all four quarters in its 6-12 (48) to 3-1 (19) loss to the Roosters.

Both teams found the conditions tough, which was understandable. It was eight degrees with a very strong breeze, while rain pelted down for the majority of the match. But the GCFC never stopped trying in an effort which would have pleased GCFC coach Guy McKenna.

Livewire Brandon Matera booted two goals for the Coast while Tasmanian Luke Russell booted the other major. The ruck combination of Zac Smith and Tom Nicholls worked well while the likes of Maverick Weller, Roland Ah Chee, David Swallow and Russell revelled in the heavy conditions.

The last term was similar to the others – low scoring with every possession a contested one. But the way the GCFC held their nerve and fought out the match was very impressive. The highlight was Matera’s second goal for the match. The highly rated West Australian marked strong and goaled from a set shot late in the game.

The third term was a tight, scrappy affair played in miserable conditions. The work rate of the boys was exceptional even though they weren’t able to reduce the home side’s lead from half-time. Both teams could only manage one behind apiece in the premiership quarter with the likes of Weller, Russell , Ah Chee and Matera all starring. McKenna praised his team at quarter-time for their intensity and asked them to stick at it in the second quarter. But it was the Roosters that lifted after the first change.

In pelting rain, the Roosters added three goals for the term to jump out to a 25-point lead at half-time. It was a case of the home side playing the conditions better mixed with their strong contingent of North Melbourne AFL listed players. The GCFC did not give up at all but could not manage a score for the second quarter. The visitors could not have started better in terms of hardness at the contest.

In terrible conditions they would not be properly accustomed to, they came out ready to compete. The Roosters kicked the opener through Aaron Edwards but hit back through Russell, who won a free kick in the goalsquare. They let another in before Matera kicked a beautiful running goal just before quarter-time.

It meant the GCFC were down by just four points at the first change and very much in the game.

GCFC 2.0 (12) 2.0 (12) 2.1(13) 3.1(19)
North Ballarat Roosters 2.4(16) 5.7(37) 5.8(38) 6.12(48)

Goals: Matera (2), Russell (1)
Best: Trent McKenzie, Luke Russell, Brandon Matera, Tom Nicholls, Sam Iles and Zac Smith

http://goldcoastfc.com.au/news-and-media/news/round-12-match-report/page-1/

scottywiper, I would like to officially nominate the author of this article for next weeks Greg Denham Award for Media Cretinry.

If any of you thought that AFL reporting was shocking then wait until you check this out:

scottywiper, I would like to officially nominate the author of this article for next weeks Greg Denham Award for Media Cretinry.

Phew! Lucky thing it rained and the wind blew and it was cold or they would have wiped the floor with the poor old top-placed Roosters.

That is one seriously funny match report. Sounded like only one team was out there......and geez were they the bravest men to ever take the field!! :D

Phew! Lucky thing it rained and the wind blew and it was cold or they would have wiped the floor with the poor old top-placed Roosters.

GC getting plenty of exposure.

(Both kinds.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CJ had another 7 shots on goal.

That's 34 shots on goal in the last 5 matches. Phenomenal effort.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could still get up and win the Frosty Miller Medal.

Hale kicked 1.5 again.

I know CJ's days at North are numbered, but at what point do we give him a game just for the sake of it? I mean this is a bloke who is actually dominating the VFL. Not a Josh Smith, 'playing his role and working hard dominating' but an actual 'way too good for this level dominating'.

CJ had another 7 shots on goal.

That's 34 shots on goal in the last 5 matches. Phenomenal effort.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could still get up and win the Frosty Miller Medal.

Hale kicked 1.5 again.

I assume you're looking at the Sporting Pulse website. The 'B' column indicates the six best players, not how many behinds the player has kicked.

hang about
You have an early poke at the Gold Coast in this thread saying Hale and the other forwards would kick 20 apiece, then someone else likens it to Geelong vs Koroit, then when a group of 18yo's fresh out of TAC keep it close and hard in atrocious conditions in the Victorian tablelands against AFL veterans you have a problem with it being reported as a brave performance?
I think North Ballarat would be wondering what went wrong today rather than Bluey McKenna.

hang about
You have an early poke at the Gold Coast in this thread saying Hale and the other forwards would kick 20 apiece, then someone else likens it to Geelong vs Koroit, then when a group of 18yo's fresh out of TAC keep it close and hard in atrocious conditions in the Victorian tablelands against AFL veterans you have a problem with it being reported as a brave performance?

20 odd Hand picked ELITE AFL standard 18 year olds vs 6 blokes that have played AFL football, 3 prospects and 13 blokes that couldn't make the cut.

Three cheers for the brave fighting Gold Coast warriors.

I think North Ballarat would be wondering what went wrong today rather than Bluey McKenna.

4 shots on goal for an entire match.

That is pathetic.

That is shit for an under 11's match.

This is 2010, not 1906.

hang about

They had 4 shots on goal muppet, it wasn't a contest.

I know CJ's days at North are numbered, but at what point do we give him a game just for the sake of it? I mean this is a bloke who is actually dominating the VFL. Not a Josh Smith, 'playing his role and working hard dominating' but an actual 'way too good for this level dominating'.

Unfortunately he moves like a statue which isn't as big a problem in the VFL. Picking players is based on whether they can perform at the next level.

hang about

4 shots on goal is no-one's idea of a good day out. Unless the wind blew another 15 shots out on the full.

hang about
Mate I know you are new to footy, but this isn't soccer. Four shots on goal is shite.

I might just add. 4 shots on goal and two of those were from free kicks. That's two shots from general play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

North Ballarat were also missing Sewell, Stephenson, and Maloney. That's the VFL's best mdfielder, ruckman, and fullback.

It looked like boys against men. Don't let the close score due to the weather fool anyone.

Oh the plus side, Gold Coast was well coached for the conditions!

Remove this Banner Ad

North Ballarat v Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back