taff wa

Club Legend
May 11, 2003
Perth, WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood/East Perth.
North Melbourne had their opportunities to win the game today but muffed it, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Rocca misses from 40 metres out, another player kicks on the full twice in the forward line.

Should have won.

Utterly dominated periods of the game, especially the last quarter, but wasted chances. Up until the last quarter we made some very poor decisions when in posession.

of course North could've won. Any team which loses by 9 points was in with a big show, but one could take the view that we shouldn't have let Noth get anywhere near that close to victory.

I was very surprised with North Melbourne. Considering they play almost all of their games in perfect weather at the Dome, I thought the wet would be a bit of shock to them, but they played it well.

R:E

I think most teams would rather go over to Perth and play in those conditions.
V Fremantle we lost by 45 pts
V West Coast we lost by 9
So obviously we prefered those conditions, even though we didn't take the 4 points.

Originally posted by ozzult
I was very surprised with North Melbourne. Considering they play almost all of their games in perfect weather at the Dome, I thought the wet would be a bit of shock to them, but they played it well.

Unfortunately you have no idea about North Melbourne. If there is conditions that North can play well, very well for that matter, it is in the slosh...remember we are reknown for being one of the HARDER at the ball teams going around. WestCoast have serious claims to the flag IMO as the MCG will be where the Premiership is won not Telstra Dome.

Originally posted by Woodson
Unfortunately you have no idea about North Melbourne. If there is conditions that North can play well, very well for that matter, it is in the slosh...

I agree that we have an excellent record in the wet but I was really disappointed that we didn't handle the conditions that well today. Our decision making in these conditions was pretty bad - ie Stevens took a mark just outside our 50 and then tried to handball it 15 metres which was quickly picked up by a WCE player, my point is the ball is a lot heavier in the wet so what made him think he could handball it that far effectively?

I'm not having a go at Stevens, just merely giving an example of how I think the players were trying to play dry weather footy in the wet.

In the end I'm disappointed with the loss but thankful it didn't go the same way the Port game did. We stuck in there and that's a good sign.

Originally posted by jont2020
I agree that we have an excellent record in the wet but I was really disappointed that we didn't handle the conditions that well today.

Were you watching the same game as me?? The Eagles were excellent today..... North would have beaten any other team in the AFL today apart from maybe Brisbane or Port. It was atough hard game and like the players said one of their best wins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by RooMatera
Most amazing thing to come out of this match, is the one arm pick up's of the muddy ball by Wirrpunda and Sampi. Truely amazing.

Yes, and add to that Samp's marking was quite good too. Wirrpunda constantly proved time and time again how good his hands are.

While Chris Judd also proved that he's hands at ground level are already as good as any player in the competition.

I'm not having a go at Stevens, just merely giving an example of how I think the players were trying to play dry weather footy in the wet.

In the end I'm disappointed with the loss but thankful it didn't go the same way the Port game did. We stuck in there and that's a good sign.

Stevo made a fair few clangers that can't be excused for a player who has been playing for so long. We know he is a quality player but these clangers are very disappointing. He missed a goal from POINT BLANK RANGE in the last few minutes that I couldn't believe he was capable of fluffing. :( poor concertration levels or losing his way ?????

Stevo made a fair few clangers that can't be excused for a player who has been playing for so long. We know he is a quality player but these clangers are very disappointing. He missed a goal from POINT BLANK RANGE in the last few minutes that I couldn't believe he was capable of fluffing. :( poor concertration levels or losing his way ?????

or maybe he was grabbed by the jumper just as he kicked it which made him lose balance? which is what happened.

Originally posted by Chris_Judd
Were you watching the same game as me?? The Eagles were excellent today..... North would have beaten any other team in the AFL today apart from maybe Brisbane or Port. It was atough hard game and like the players said one of their best wins.

Well, I thought today's game was one of the seasons better ones. Sure there is going to be errors but all in all it was fast n' furious gritty stuff that deserves praise. Proud of how North fought back and almost pinched it. WCE are definately worthy of winning the Big One and I hope we ain't too far away.
Glad to see the WCE players admitting it was one of their better wins. It would of rated as North's best WIN also but netherless it still rates as North's hardest/better performance of the season just above the win over Essendon IMO.

Um......... funnily enough yes I was watching the same game as you.

And interestingly I was comparing the way North played today to other games we've played in the wet, and we have played much better in the wet previously than we did today.

And do I care that the Eagles think it's one of their best wins ......... um ........no, not really.;)

Closet Stevo fan

or maybe he was grabbed by the jumper just as he kicked it which made him lose balance? which is what happened.
I'll have to check that out again....great to see opposition supporters going in to bat for the opposition skippers.
Are you a closet Stevo fan ???

Um......... funnily enough yes I was watching the same game as you.

And interestingly I was comparing the way North played today to other games we've played in the wet, and we have played much better in the wet previously than we did today.

And do I care that the Eagles think it's one of their best wins ......... um ........no, not really.;)

oh sorry.. I thought u were saying that from the view of an Eagles supporter... which is why I couldn't understand how u didn't think we played that well.... now I know u are a roos supporter lol

Re: Closet Stevo fan

I'll have to check that out again....great to see opposition supporters going in to bat for the opposition skippers.

Nah... I was watching the Eagles player hoping like hell he could get a hand in his back to put him off... and he did ;)

Re: Closet Stevo fan

there was definetaly pressure on him from behind. I can't remember who from, and I didn't quite catch if he got the ball away first and was then taken, or if he was taken in the process of kicking the ball.

But either way, there was definetaly some form of pressure coming from behind......even if he could just hear the footsteps sometimes puts a player (even of Stevo's experience) off their concentration.

I know we've played better in the wet but aren't you underestimating the 'intensity' of this game today. The North guys were having a dip and West Coast were doing likewise...when we play cleaner style in the wet as you say we've played better..is that 'Carey days' ???? did the opposition apply the same pressure like WCE ???? I doubt it. Our win vs Port in Round 1 last season seemed better because we played smarter and we did but Port played two quarters worth that night. We controlled the ball for most of the game and didn't give Port a chance but they fought back and we held on.
Whereas today, WCE were smart in patches and we were working overtime to move the ball just to get momentum. I appreciate many styles and today's effort rates high. If North's commitment today translates to next week we'll clobber the Pies who won easily because the Bulldogs played really dumb footy. I was there and I was very dissappointed on how the Doggies played like individuals and not a team.

I know we've played better in the wet but aren't you underestimating the 'intensity' of this game today. The North guys were having a dip and West Coast were doing likewise...when we play cleaner style in the wet as you say we've played better..is that 'Carey days' ???? did the opposition apply the same pressure like WCE ????

Yep you're right, I've just realised that the games that I'm thinking of where we played better are actually from a few years ago (seeing as we don't get many boggy days like today these days are few and far between). The Eagles did handle the conditions better than our opposition in those other matches.

This game could have been blown open and I was really pleased with the endeavour of the boys to keep working to get back into it even when we were 20 points down at one stage.

I'm hoping that Laidley and co don't become disheartened from the loss and instead find the positives and bounce back for this week.

Some Media ppl are the world greatest W@nkers

Well Jont2020, I appreciate that you re-considered your view and that today's effort was very promising. Remember if we can match it with a few Premiership contenders we can't be too far away. I never expected North to be considered a Premiership Threat (yet) but I always believe we are worthy of a finals team.
Look at Magpies, they almost pinched it last season.
...they have young heads like ours but I seriously believe we have a quality core group than them. Next week will tell us alot.

Most of media are completely out of tune with what is happening with our team. I think those idiots who refer to North as re-building have a 'different definition of alot of things' including telling it as it is as opposed to thier opinion which is HIGHER than what things already seem to be. A complete w@nk.

Remove this Banner Ad

North could have won.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back