Club Focus North Melbourne 2022 - Logue, Tucker, Sheezel, Wardlaw, George, Harvey, Drury, Free, Howe, Turner

AFL Club Focus

What priority picks should North get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Spreadsheet created by Lore and Taylor, using data from footywire and AFL Tables. Version above maintained by giantroo.

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Current quality or perception of the player notwithstanding, we did trade that pick for somebody we think will be our #1 ruck in the coming years. Richmond might use it and draft somebody that never plays a game. It's why trades are won or lost at the end of a players career, not once the AFL signs off on it.

Indeed but if north are then given another charity pick in the same part of the draft - it's a joke.

Might as well trade all future picks if your playing with the banks money.

I like ccj and wish him well

Indeed but if north are then given another charity pick in the same part of the draft - it's a joke.

Might as well trade all future picks if your playing with the banks money.

I like ccj and wish him well

Is it really any different though if we didn't make that trade and just had two picks around 20? I'd be a bit surprised and very disappointed if they traded that pick thinking a PP was on the cards a year later. I think it's more likely they thought the trajectory was good enough the future 2nd was going to be a lower pick (not substantially, but lower nonetheless).

Anyhoo, I'd rather avoid the messiness of those picks. If I could cherry pick any of the previous allowances to teams like Carlton and GC it would be the squad size allowance GC had and to a degree the priority access to state league players even if that is diluted now thanks to the MSD. The squad size may open up some doors with delisted free agents and help fix the list profile which is severely lacking players 27-30 years of age thanks to some putrid drafting in the Scott/Joyce years.

North aren’t that bad and actually have a pretty good list on paper. They just need a few more senior bodies around.

They should throw some money at Caleb Daniel, Jake Lloyd, Alex Pearce and Darcy Gardiner.

There are no fixed criteria. They can choose based on whatever they choose, up to and including "you made your bed, now lie in it."
  • premiership points that a club has received over a period of years (with greater weight to recent seasons),
  • a club's percentage (points for/points against x 100) over a period of years (another indication of on-field competitiveness, with greater weight to recent seasons),
  • any finals appearances that a club has made in recent seasons,
  • any premierships that a club has won in recent seasons.

Where is the made your bed criteria? In your head? It counts for zero.

• premiership points that a club has received over a period of years (with greater weight to recent seasons),
  • a club's percentage (points for/points against x 100) over a period of years (another indication of on-field competitiveness, with greater weight to recent seasons),
  • any finals appearances that a club has made in recent seasons,
  • any premierships that a club has won in recent seasons.

Where is the made your bed criteria? In your head? It counts for zero.
Hey mate. Asked for a source the last time you posted this and didn’t hear back from you, so I’ll ask again.

Where’d you get that from?

Anything official?

Sounds like you’re making it up. Or, more specifically, referencing something wildly out of date.

Happy to stand corrected though - I’ve been looking for confirmation.
Google search it’s listed in a few sites that this is what the AFL use - only they know the exact metics. Wins - imo hold the biggest weight.

Going to be very interesting where we land with this.

Google search it’s listed in a few sites that this is what the AFL use - only they know the exact metics. Wins - imo hold the biggest weight.

Going to be very interesting where we land with this.

Strange that you're so confident you've got it right, yet you're not willing to give us the source.

As I said, you're either making it up, or referencing an old article.

No chance NMFC get a priority pick and neither should they. Delisted 13 players in one sweep so they made this issue themselves. Also landed B grade players Corr and Polec on big money, which is mismanagement.

Wouldnt surprise me at seasons end to see Zurhaar or LDU floated for trade. JHF has changed the entire dynamic of the starting 18, so these blokes are under huge pressure to perform.

Mckay as a free agent next year is the clubs biggest concern. He could demand 1 million a season, and someone will pay it.

North aren’t that bad and actually have a pretty good list on paper. They just need a few more senior bodies around.

They should throw some money at Caleb Daniel, Jake Lloyd, Alex Pearce and Darcy Gardiner.
Senior bodies aren’t an issue we were a fair bit older than freo on Friday night

Our senior players are garbage though

No chance NMFC get a priority pick and neither should they. Delisted 13 players in one sweep so they made this issue themselves. Also landed B grade players Corr and Polec on big money, which is mismanagement.

Wouldnt surprise me at seasons end to see Zurhaar or LDU floated for trade. JHF has changed the entire dynamic of the starting 18, so these blokes are under huge pressure to perform.

Mckay as a free agent next year is the clubs biggest concern. He could demand 1 million a season, and someone will pay it.

Not sure about this. I thought we delisted 9.

Gold Coast delisted 10 before picking up matt rowell with their priority pick in 2019.

What has changed in that time period?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about this. I thought we delisted 9.

Gold Coast delisted 10 before picking up matt rowell with their priority pick in 2019.

What has changed in that time period?

Sorry, delisted 11 and traded out 2, so 13 players out the door.

The 13 were:

Shaun Higgins
Ben Brown
Paul Ahern
Joel Crocker
Majak Daw
Sam Durdin
Lachlan Hosie
Ben Jacobs
Jamie Macmillan
Tom Murphy
Jasper Pittard
Marley Williams
Mason Wood

In my honest opinion, 6 of those would walk into our team at the moment, in Higgins, Brown, Durdin, Murphy, Pittard and Wood.

That is absolute mismanagement.

Wikipedia isn’t any more credible.

So I’ll ask again. Anything official?
Wiki refers to a dead link on the herald sun website, which if you google the name of that article comes to a Perth Now article quoting Adrian Anderson, Football Operations Manager at the AFL (at the time)

“After this current expansion period, the AFL believes that the balance for special assistance under the rules was no longer right for the competition,” AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson said.

“The commission accepted a recommendation that stricter conditions for any special assistance should be developed,” he said.

Priority draft selections could still be granted in future under the discretion of the commission.

Anderson said a formula would be developed that will take into account such factors as a club’s premiership points over a period of years (with greater weight to recent seasons), its percentage over a period of years as another indication of on-field competitiveness (with greater weight to recent seasons), any finals appearances in recent seasons, any premierships in recent seasons and club injury rates in each relevant season.

It’s a 10 year old article, so idk if it is current.

For comparison, Gold Coast (i.e. the AFL’s baby that they have a vested interest in helping as much as possible) got a suite of priority picks and access to NT, extended list with more rookies etc at the end of 2019:
1AFD40E3-F539-428F-9495-237D1A77230C.jpeg C9544FC0-526B-425E-A104-D8A26966A6C9.jpeg

Not sure if they’ve been shit enough for long enough to qualify. Although Gil is outgoing and Brad Scott is at HQ now so may have some luck.

Think they’re actually on the right path now though and half the problem was that rookie coach they had for five minutes, so idk if that year will count as being evidence of a bad list build that would justify a PP.

Huge investment in mids with all their top end draft picks - JHF, Thomas, Simpkin, LDU, Powell, Phillips.

With that kind of investment you need your midfield to dominate, which they aren't, mostly because they are still young and are just not ready.

Severely unbalanced list, but the silver lining is that they already have the pieces that are hard to obtain (KPD, KPF, inside mid).

North should go for mature best 22 players (flankers, outside mids) that offer experience at limited costs.

Cumming from GWS, Breust from Hawthorn, Highmore from St Kilda would all be good gets.

Is Tom Powell injured? If not what's going on with him ?
In the ressies getting a hiding.

Not a lot are happy about it, a few are backing the coach.

I just can't see what he can learn in the 2s playing inside with no ruck and **** all help, but that's me...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Senior bodies aren’t an issue we were a fair bit older than freo on Friday night

Our senior players are garbage though

Fix the defensive line and it will improve imo. We are going through something similar but the guys you have down there are awful.

Bosenvulagi, Scott, Young, Corr, Bonar, Hall aren’t natural defenders.

Fix the defensive line and it will improve imo. We are going through something similar but the guys you have down there are awful.

Bosenvulagi, Scott, Young, Corr, Bonar, Hall aren’t natural defenders.
If you pay 550k to a non natural defender in Corr

Thats an issue

Severely unbalanced list, but the silver lining is that they already have the pieces that are hard to obtain (KPD, KPF, inside mid).
I suspect unbalanced lists are going to be a feature of rebuilds in the current context, as you only get so many top picks in a shallower pool (because covid and because 18 teams) and you only have so many list spots (because covid).

The fastest way to rebuild an entire list from the ground up appears to be to take whatever is available with a preference (where you don’t have to reach for it) for the types that take longer to develop, but that can potentially mean having depth and holes in all the wrong places for a while.

In that context there’s going to be a couple or a few hard seasons in between, while the shallow areas of the list can easily kill your chances with a couple of injuries, and the deep areas aren’t fully developed and have to learn on the job against stiff opposition.

It’s much easier to have a sustainable list and do a mini rebuild with one bad year every so often and keep near the top for longer though. Some clubs do it better than others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus North Melbourne 2022 - Logue, Tucker, Sheezel, Wardlaw, George, Harvey, Drury, Free, Howe, Turner

Back